Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Continental X King Thoughts?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anybody running these? ive just bought some rubber queens, and although im led to believe they roll well all year, im wondering if i should get one of the x kings for the rear?

im looking for any info as there doesnt seem to be much of a write up on these?

preferably thoughts on the 2.2 or 2.4 UST tubeless versions as thats what ill be running!

Wozza
    Free Member

Almost no noticeable rolling resistance, I was significantly faster uphill on fireroads, hardpack stuff and tarmac. The downside is that they wash out quickly on greasy rocks so not great as a front tyre to leave on all year round where I live.

My brother used to run a rubber queen 2.4 black chilli up front and a 2.4 black chilli x-king on the back. No complaints.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice – cheers!

yeah would run a x king in the summer for the total dry and then no doubt when it changes stick RQ back on the back

might give a 2.4 a shot on the back in UST, as apparently a 2.2 x king is quite narrow compared to a 2.2 RQ

timmys
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Running the cheapo X Kings on the singlespeed and I really like them. Silly fast rolling – theres a road climb back up to my house which I often end a ride with and its usually a real slog. Just sat down last night on my way in and span up with no fuss.

Grip seems to be good at the moment in the sandy/dry conditions although they do get very sketchy in gloopy stuff.

For a fast rolling tyre, can’t fault them. Perfect for the singlespeed and to be honest, in the bigger sizes I reckon they’d be ok as a trail centre tyre. For more rocky, technical natural terrain where trails aren’t especially geared towards bikes, I think I’d want something a bit grippier on the front.

kiwijohn

I’m running 2.4 ust front & rear. They’re not as big as my old MK’s.
    They do roll really well & only get a bit loose in the really slippery stuff. But totally predictable with it.
    I like them a lot & generally prefer running a pair. But that’s just me.

Raymond

The 2.4 X-king is about the same size as a 2.2 RQ. I was a bit disapointed with the grip levels but as others have said, fast rolling and a good rear tyre. Difficult to seal tubeless, if that makes any difference to you.

chiefgrooveguru

Thinking about a 2.4 X-King Protection (black chili) for the back of my bike. Tread pattern bodes well for all but sticky mud as a rear tyre. Only concern is tubeless hassle but I’m hoping the tubeless ready bead on the Protection version, plus the thicker sidewalls, and thoroughly cleaning the tyre with solvent and using a ghetto tubeless inflator should make it viable…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Continental X King Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.