Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Mabie's new berms
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

I don’t think we’ve done this one yet, but what the heck. Mabie’s new bits are not open yet, but I had a little walk to see how things were getting on today.

IMG_3835 by simon ralli, on Flickr

28th March by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_3843 by simon ralli, on Flickr

IMG_3842 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Quite large I have to say!!

13thfloormonk

Where in the loop is this? Or is this the 4x track?

Looks like a construction site.. 🙁

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

hope they have good drainage or the first sign of rain they will be a duck pond, Lol

simonralli2
    Free Member

These berms are part 2 of Descender Bender, the bit after the first fireroad crossing but before the second fire road crossing. Today the third part was also closed, down to the stream crossing, but not too sure if any work is happening on that part too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looks like it might be worth a go next time I’m in the area. Any idea when its meant to open?

Northwind

God’s balls! Those do seem ever so slightly out of keeping with Mabie but still, I want a go noooooow!

(OTOH if lawman is right and they have drainage problems and fill with rain I guess that’ll make them perfectly in keeping with Mabie 😉 )

legend
    Free Member

Bloomin’ eck 😯 did they install a steam catapult at the top too so you’ve got the speed to justify those beasts??

simonralli2
    Free Member

They should be open maybe in the next week or so but the date keeps slipping.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Bit of a poor show, should be open now, and the logging should be finished, dont they know im on holiday for the next two weeks starting Monday.

rs
    Free Member

come on! are we supposed to believe you didn’t ride them? Looks like great fun!

rudedog
    Free Member

We were planning a trip to Mabie on Saturday but may do Dalbeattie or Ae instead if parts of Mabie are currently closed.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Um – I can’t actually see myself riding these even when they are open! (That is not false modesty – there is a chicken run of sorts running down the centre so you do not have to ride the walls).

As for me not riding them, I guess many of you may think I may have done but these are actually very near a fireroad so you can just pop down without a bike to have a look.

In fact, it upsets me when people ride unfinished stuff as it is so disrespectful to the builders and also puts the dates back as things need to be repaired.There were some tyre tracks going around the netting to say it wasn’t open, and that cheesed me off but hey ho. I am a local person and this is my home trail centre.

Rudedog – you may want to check with the rangers as there could still be diversions at both those trails – I don’t know what is still ion place though. I think most of Ae is open and you should of course add in The Shredder even if you are both XC riders.

Of course the other thing about Mabie is that there are one heck of a lot of natural trails to ride there too (not walkers paths) but these need a little local knowledge.

lee93
    Free Member

I’ve been told it’s opening for Easter wkend?? So think bank holiday Monday will see us there!
    Looking forward to riding there again as I’m sick of Newcastleton and whinlatter Thursday nights bring it on!

simonralli2
    Free Member

My folks are moving back into Dumfries this weekend which means Mabie is now in riding distance for me so maybe see you there : ) (I don’t have a car).

Mugboo

Even if there is a puddle, it would have to be massive to fill those berms!

bigjim

wouldn’t mind taking the car down those…!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well folks, it’s now open today! Can’t believe I missed it by a day.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7stanes/

Trekster

And Bur n Splash/Scorpion is also back in play
    Not going to get out and play till at least Monday 😈

joat

They should put a pond liner in and fill them with water. It would make you ride them, either that or get wet. 😆

simonralli2
    Free Member

I have to say it is intriguing what will happen when there is a massive downpour.

Anyway, I may well ride here this weekend as the one flippin weekend I have a car and want to go to Kirroughtree I discover there’s a race on.

pottsathome
    Free Member

It looks very well drained with a drain right through the middle. Oh and it’s quick ran it tonight berms hold you in nicely in fact the whole section of trail keeps you in. Very very nice

Johnbot
    Free Member

Ah yes instead of the rough single track we have a new bmx track

Duane…
    Free Member

Can anyone confirm if this is open? Anything else at Mabie shut? Thinking of heading down on Saturday for a quick loop.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Duane

Hi – yes – it’s all open : )

Duane…
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks, so no diversions or closed bits on the whole red loop? What is a respectable lap time?

defaultslipper
    Free Member

This will have to be added to the hitlist once I’m back on the bike. New forks and wheel in the 9 weeks off the bike so far. Will be good to have the full range of trails open again to link up all of mabie. Does anyone know if the waterloo monument was affected by the criffel fire this week?

simonralli2
    Free Member

No idea really about good times as I just take my time, take photos, and stop for food and to enjoy the views. There are also lots of more natural secret trails in Mabie so you can spend loads of time riding around, mixing and matching.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Cant wait to get out and ride it, been champing at the bit since the work started, was last there late Dec.

Dont forget Simon you will always find folk heading up to Mabie from Bumfries if you need a life or fancy a ride.

Now that spring is here I intend to be there as much as possible.

rudedog
    Free Member

Result!

simonralli2
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAR3ir8qPQ[/video]

A one handed video of the new bits – lots of jumps!

rudedog
    Free Member

I thought the berms felt a bit compressed but on the whole,very impressed with the new section – it has a bit of everything and is very much in the Glentress mould. The video really doesn’t do justice as to how fast this run gets – had a massive grin when I got to the bottom and am really looking forward to heading back soon.

(I still think the rollercoaster section is garbage though)

Northwind

That’s an astoundingly bad video, cheers!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Not tried the new section but agree with the rollercoaster, it really could do with a smoother surface and you could get up a lot more speed.

Wouldnt call it garbage mind.

Can get a bit hairy on a hardtail.

rudedog
    Free Member

Are we talking about the same section regarding the rollercoaster? The section through the woods after the climb up from the burn splash?

It seemed pretty smooth to me (bit rooty on the first climb). My overall impression was just a big long climb through the trees and then a really steep smooth and straight descent immediately followed by another steep climb – a criminal waste of altitude and didn’t seem to have any flow at all.

I really have no idea why its called the rollercoaster.

simonralli2
    Free Member

That’s an astoundingly bad video, cheers!

Just for the record it’s not mine!

As for the rollercoaster, blimey, what a fast piece of singletrack! Amazing how we can all have very different impressions from the same trail. Horses for courses I guess.

rudedog
    Free Member

Fast? I really am confused now – theres only one bit that was fast and it was over in about 5 seconds. Maybe we are talking about different bits of the trail?

simonralli2
    Free Member

Fast for me maybe not ye riding gods of STW mind 🙂

rudedog
    Free Member

I’m not a riding god, far from it!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Heh – I took some video this morning – I’ll post it up later today. Great to see so many people there today having a blast.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Weee

IMG_3889 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Mabie's new berms’ is closed to new replies.