Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • considering 1 x 10 transmission – recommend me a chain guide?
  • bullit
    Free Member

Thinking of converting to a 1 x 10 speed set up on the full-susser and wondered if anyone could recommend a suitable lightweight chain guide -the bike will be used mainly for XC riding

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’m using an E13 XCX. Very neat, very light and nice and quiet

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I am doing the same, wanted the extra security of not dropping the chain so was looking for a top and bottom device (rather than just a top one).

For £35 I didn’t think I could beat the Superstar plasma one so I got one before they went up to full price.

Haven’t fitted it yet as my second hand frame needs a bit of a tidy and the BB could do with a face but looking at it and having used other devices in the past from E13, Blackspire etc. it looks fine for the money.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I don’t really feel that losing the chain from the bottom is that big a deal as long as it stays on at the top so you can always pedal it back on.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I live the extra security (and trail debris bashing qualities!) of a top and bottom guide with a tacco (MRP MiniG2 is excellent).

That said, I didn’t believe a top only guide would work after a year of stopping every few minutes to put my chain back on with a bash/front mech 1×9 setup. But one ride in, one the same rocky trails that would have me stopping all the time and I’ve found the Superstar guide (the XCX?) and an unramped OnOne chainring to be faultless.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m using an E13 Hive which is held by the BB cup, but no bash ring – effective but expensive. Perhaps the Superstar equivalent?

It can trap mud a little bit on sloppy rides, but that doesn’t seem to affect its performance.

bullit
    Free Member

cheers guys – will investigate the options. Still not 100% sold on the swithc to a 1x 10 setup as it seems way overpriced at present time – especially compared to a 9-speed equivalent.

slowrider
    Free Member

1×9 is just as good as 1×10, its only one gear easier and not worth splashing all that cash if your 1×9 stuff is in good order. give it a try with your existing setup before you commit.

im running a e13lg1+ on one bike which works well but can rub a little at the very top and bottom of the cassette. very secure and light for a full guide.

ive got a mrp g2 on another bike, just as good if not better than the e13 as it rubs less.

ive got a e13 srs on my dh bike, a bit heavier but simple and secure.

mate has the superstar full guide, i dont like the lack of bash protection and he says it rubs a little but for the money its great.

my brother runs a top only superstar guide on a hardtail. chain stays on most of the time but he did lose it a few times on rockier stuff in the lakes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘considering 1 x 10 transmission – recommend me a chain guide?’ is closed to new replies.