Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Condoms can help on poverty – Catholic leader
  • Geronimo
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8594770.stm

"The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster has said he understands why contraception is seen as "attractive" in tackling Third World poverty."
    ….."I think when it comes to Third World poverty and the great pressure under which many women are put by men, I can see the arguments, why, in the short term, [the] means that give women protection are attractive."

But then goes on to say:

"If we solve the poverty, then consistently we know that the birth rate comes down"

"If we provide people with security, then consistently birth rates will come down. And they're the radical issues that we should be addressing, not short-term intrusive fixes."

Hmmm, has he misunderstood? Is this not more to do with people becoming better off or wanting a different sort of life, ignoring the church and then using contraception to prevent having lots of children rather than looking more carefully at the calendar or celibacy?

Ireland anyone?

El-bent
    Free Member

"If we solve the poverty, then consistently we know that the birth rate comes down"

Classic.

"If we solve the birth rate problem, then consistently we know that poverty comes down."

There. Fixed it for him.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I suspect the relationship is quite complicated and isn't a direct one-way causal one. But I don't really know.

If you are a subsistence farmer with minimal access to medical care and an expectation of very high infant mortality, how does simply having fewer children make you richer?

soobalias
    Free Member

Ireland anyone what, germonimo?

Geronimo
    Free Member

Ireland (ignoring recent recession) is a much more affluent place that it was (Celtic Tiger).

Forgive me if I am wrong, but many Irish catholic people used to have very large numbers of children (compared with the UK)? This is no longer the case.

The Roman Catholic Archbishop of Westminster seems to think that a reduction in the number of children is a result of 'solving poverty'. There may/may not be a link, but I suspect that the reduction in the number of children is actually achieved through contraception/birth control rather than abstinence through long hours at the office….

westkipper
    Free Member

I think the link between poverty and large families is definitely there, as in poor counties the only reliable social security network is the one you make for yourself- your wains.
    So on that front the Archbishops right, but, lets be honest, neither god nor the bible said anything against contraception.

hora
    Free Member

The latest Private Eye cover had me roaring with laughter 😆

Geronimo
    Free Member

but, lets be honest, neither god nor the bible said anything against contraception.

ah, but the Bible isn't necessarily believed by Christians…

Church Custom & Tradition sounds distinctly man-made to me.

alpin
    Free Member

do priests use condoms when buggering young boys to prevent the spread of STDs or do they take a similar standpoint on this, too…..?

BigJohn

I don't think large families are created for reasons such as child mortality etc. They're created because daddy gets a stiffy, and mummy isn't on the pill.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Condoms can help on poverty – Catholic leader’ is closed to new replies.