Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • concrete floor sealing
  • petefromearth

hi all
    we have a dusty concrete floor in our conservatory. it might be a while before i get round to tiling the floor so it would be nice to seal it so we don’t tread dust through the house all the time. is it possible to use PVA stuff like this? i bought it to prepare a wall for plastering
    stupid question, is this going to make the floor sticky??
    also is this going to help/hinder when i come to laying floor tiles?
    cheers
    Pete

spudly1979
    Free Member

pete,

not sure about the stuff you linked to, but i sealed our concrete cellar floor at our old house using generic garage floor paint. swept the floor loads first, then applied paint and all selaed fine. Not tried laying tiles on it after, but can’t see it would be a problem.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re going to be walking around on it for a while, then, yeah, it’ll be tacky. You could try getting a two part DPM to paint on (mix,pour, roller to even out) which will seal the floor nicely. Or, actually, a one part will do it if you’re not in a rush.

onewheelgood

I used International Floor paint. Gave it a good sweep, two coats, nice finish and very hard wearing – just in case those tiles take longer than you expect…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Dont paint if you expect tiles to stick properly in the future. Use either dilute sbr, acylic primer, or leytex primer. They all do a similar join and will be fine for when you come to screed/tile.

Pva is not really suitable either

thegman67

That will be fine i have just painted my garage floor and used pva as a sealer with a 4/1mix done three coats allowing two hrs between coats used a large paint brush and roller it goes down in no tim at all. The pva i used came in a blue container from Jewson and cost £12+VAT

footflaps

Use PVA Glue – great for sealing just about anything – walls, plaster, concrete…

You can buy large tubs in DIY sheds..

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

PVA isn’t recommended by tilers. It goes into a greasy membrane and can come up (they say) if it gets wet. I’m not sure myself, – just some wisdom I picked up as I’ve been haunting tilers forums recently.

Isn’t acrylic primer the stuff?

roach

I used PVA on my garage floor in a new build prior to painting with floor paint and I’m left with a flaky dusty mess that walks through the house. I think the cold and wet has come through the garage door and messed it all up. Prob should have gone for a good primer and better floor paint.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘concrete floor sealing’ is closed to new replies.