Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Commuting without putting your feet down door to door
  • SiB
    Free Member

Does anybody do it? Holding on to posts and railings at lights/junctions doesnt count.

Canal/cycle paths seem the obvious choice for a foot down free commute but even these have obstacles which can make you put your feet down.

I can do 5 miles to the station if two sets of lights are good to me but getting on the train or ferry to cross the Mersey results in feet down.

Just wondering.

yoda
    Free Member

Easy, just track stand at the lights!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Never reallu thought about it, I will try it tomorrow morning.

ebygomm
    Free Member

‘A’ frame cycle barriers prevent a no feet down commute for me – otherwise it would be 6 miles. Think I could avoid the a frame if I wanted to though

ourmaninthenorth

Corking idea. Never considered that before (though I try to unclip as little as possible).

I’m moving next week, and so will have a new (25 mile) commute. Will see what I can do.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

8 and a bit miles, no traffic lights, can get up the hills without pushing, only one roundabout and one tricky right hander to think about… I think I can if I haven’t already. I may well have done last time now I think about it ‘cos I was very happy with my nipping out on the roundabout and, and… can’t really remember if I did or not for the right hander.
    I now have a new little game once I am back commuting, thank you 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

Very very rarely I experience the Holy Grail of commutes and get clear junctions and green lights all the way… on which occasions I can get door to door without my feet touching the floor. The last time this occurred was last Tuesday.

gil_

14 miles each way, nearly always without touching down 🙂

D0NK

on road frequently, trackstands rule, just watch out for the haterz.
    offroad too many styles erm gates, yes gates.

headfirst
    Free Member

Next challenge: no hands commute?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

11 mile commute through London and never touch anything. Trackstand skillzz innit

crazy-legs

It’s very rare when I get a commute I do have to put my feet down. 🙂 Can trackstand pretty much indefinitely.

The exception is if I do the off-road route where there’s a couple of those anti-motorcycle railway sleepers at various places.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I could do it. I have three sets of lights and one long cycle lane from Hove to Brighton but I’m sure I could trackstand at the lights. I’ll try it tomorrow!

SiB
    Free Member

Yoda, I track stand at a couple of sets of ‘quick’ lights, need more practice for the longer ones, just dont want to end up a heap infront of queueing traffic, thats all.

Road route alot easier not to put feet down, off road route impossible due to gates, styles and a couple of fallen down trees.

Good luck everyone tonight, no injuries in attempting no feet down please!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why trackstand – just go thru the red lights. Easy then

verses

I’ve done mine before. It’s only a mile, but does involve 6 sets of traffic lights and having to track standing on a steep slope while waiting for a slow automated gate to open.

thepurist

I’d be fine if it wasn’t for the gated level crossing – must work on those bunnyhop skillz!

traildog
    Free Member

I take it you mean not stopping, rather than not putting your foot down? I could do this on my old commute, although I needed to be early otherwise I’d have to stop at junctions, or at least slow down to wait for a gap. My new commute is 20 miles and into town so I have to stop quite a lot at lights, roundabouts, junctions etc. (Very rarely put my foot down though.)

nedrapier

I’m on flat pedals, and if I’m SSing, then a push off the floor helps the getaway process.

There’s usually between 3 and 10 cyclists at each set of lights, and dozens of pedestrians so trackstanding would look a little peacocky. I’m OK at them but not amazing. If I was ultra good, ie imperceptable movement for as long as it takes, I’d probnably do it more often.

oxym0r0n

And get fined £30 – it happened to me!

9 miles no feet down most days (track standing or holding rails…)

franksinatra

every day without fail!

3.5 miles each way, about 3.2 miles on cycle path or road closed to vehicles. No lights, no roundabouts and hardly any cars. Only one road to cross but very quiet.

I did put my feet down this morning though to watch a deer ambling around on the road in front of me.

I’m not smug….

xiphon
    Free Member

Trackstands – most essential trick of commuting!

Dibbs
    Free Member

15 miles of country lanes, one set of traffic lights (that I may have jumped once or twice if no one’s around), why would I want to put my foot down?

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve also manages to freewheel for 3 miles on a slightly different route.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I only have a mile to go, no feet down on the way in (most of the time), cus I attempt to trackstand / just ride very slowly at the lights. Can’t do it on the way back as I have to turn right across a busy road to get into my street and there’s always something coming. Normally easier to put feet down and wait for a gap rather than trackstanding!)

keppoch

Some very idyllic sounding commutes there! My <3 miles includes at least 14 sets of traffic lights.

I felt like I had done something special when I hit all 14 on green the other week!

I’m sure I have done in the past.
    Not on my regular route though, as there’s a couple of gates, similar to the ones Donk encounters. 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

5miles each way here no feet down all the way. All country lanes and only seen one car this morning. Can’t wait to get off the train in 25 mins to start the 5 miles home. To top it off the bike was free and the STW massive donated all parts to SS it for free too.

ski
    Free Member

LOL thought about this for the first time today & tried to do on my 9 mile commute.

On my route, I have a spring loaded gate to get onto the canal path, found out today, if I hit it hard enough with my front wheel it unlatches the spring loaded lock and give me just enough time to get through, was quite pleased with myself for finding that out today 😉

Faild though!

As my trackstands need more work in town traffic 😉

mr_stru

Even if everything goes fine at the junctions and the odd crossing point the flight of steps at one end of the tay road bridge conspire against me. I guess I could try and trackstand in the lift.

julianwilson
    Free Member

hhmmm, if the planets/lights/junctions are all aligned I will manage it, about one in ten commutes realistically.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Pretty easy to do crossing Aberdeen every day, my goal is to do it without braking one day…

vdubber67
    Free Member

Glad I’m not the only one that plays this game! 🙂

kimbers

i do 7 miles into london each way
    touching the ground is a sign of weakness
    personally find road riding dull even dodging crazy drivers
    try to set myself challenges – so its trackstands at every set of lights for me

samuri
    Free Member

Yep, it’s a challenge I set myself a while ago. Trackstanding is easy especially on a fixie and virtually all my offroad gates are A frames so with a drop barred bike I can usually just charge through them. Having my laptop in my bag makes that a bit trickier but when I’m just carrying my clothes i’ll take them pretty fast. The single proper gate I have has a big lever to open it so I’ll inch up to it and then lean forward with my front wheel touching the gate, hit the lever and the gate opens, push it shut as I pass through. 16 miles each way.

My next challenge is to ride both ways and not have some **** idiot in a car try and kill me. Not achieved that one yet.

samuri
    Free Member

Aah, I like the not braking idea above, again, probably a bit easier because I use a fixie. That’ll be next then.

rOcKeTdOg

never really thought about it, but now you mention it, did it tuesday night as the police had road blocked part of the commute with temporary traffic lights because of a house fire, so no waiting for a green, rode straight through

charliedontsurf

I used to do a 12 mile commute; Swanage over the ferry to bournmouth and I could do it with Out a foot down and without grabbing any brake (non plural). Mixed terrain of prom, sand, parks and road.

Having these wee challenges can make getting to work a lot more interesting.

Any other ideas?
    Eyes shut commute
    Saucy wink at every lady commute
    Never turn right at a junction commute
    I bet some talented git has done a wheelie commute.

samuri
    Free Member

And get fined £30 – it happened to me!

How did they catch you?

SiB
    Free Member

Tried the country roads this morning for no-foot-down commute as opposed to the cheeky paths with styles…..wasnt expecting a herd of cows to be taken for milking, cant trackstand for 10 mins but it was nice to watch them plodding along without a care in the world (the cows and me!)

Charlie……how does the saucy wink at every lady commute work with shades on?? Saucey kiss blowing instead maybe? I like the idea though, no shades on way home later.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Commuting without putting your feet down door to door’ is closed to new replies.