Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commuting with a laptop
  • Murray

I’m probably going to have to commute 7 miles from the hotel I stay in to site as contractor scum are no longer allowed to bring their cars on site. Just what I need after a 175 mile drive to get to site!

Last week I just slung my gear in a rucksack – not to bad but a bit sweaty. I’m thinking about either a messenger bag or rack and pannier.

What do other people do?

gogg
    Free Member

Messenger bag from my LBS

I only do 4 miles each way though, barely enough time to get a sweat on.

giantjason
    Free Member

I would say a rucksack/messenger bag for rides under 4-5 miles. Anything over this and I would be starting to look at panniers, but everyone is different and what works for me doesn’t necessarily work for others.

Cougar

Get a taxi, claim expenses. See how long the ‘no car’ policy lasts.

Also; can’t you leave your gear on site till you’re due to leave?

Murray

Sadly the taxi and expenses thing isn’t going to work 🙁

Cougar

Just pay for it yourself then; you can afford it if you’re contracting. (-:

Kuco

I put my laptop into a Tucano neoprene sleeve when I bung it in my rucksack.

I use a Timbuk 2 rucksack and my only gripe with it the model i’ve got hasn’t got compresion straps.

Oh and Wiggle has got Timbuk 2 bags on offer.

takisawa2

Assuming you have a laptop bag already…

Rear rack, bin liner & bungee cords.

Anything body mounted is pants in summer after a few miles.

Straightliner

Carradice Slim bag mounted to the seatpost. Utterly brilliant, and less expensive than the combined rack/panniers and considerably lighter too.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I have a 20+ mile commute over farm tracks et so it’s very bumpy.

Laptop goes into a decent sleeve and into pannier that I’ve also lined with sleep mat for extra protection.

Not killed one in over 4 years, and I don’t get a sweaty back!

The sweaty back thing might be the thing that pushes you to panniers if you are not showering etc.

IA

Did this for a couple of years.

Pannier FTW. Laptop in a sleeve and something for a bit of padding (a shirt, bit of foam, whatever, just stop it rattling).

A bag seems “ok” then you try a pannier and it’s a revelation. Much better for your back, and easier to find properly waterproof ones to keep it safe. Also handy to have the luggage space on the bike when you need to pick up some shopping etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

I either use an Osprey Flapjack rucksack, or if I am trying to avoid a change of clothes I use a Carradice Bike Bureau. It has some great points and some not so great ones, but work paid for it so I tried it out.

I’m more than happy to ride with a rucksack, I actually prefer it, but because I have to ride to the station then sit for 2 hours on a train, I found it convenient to ride without – that way I’m not too sweaty for the train journey. Also, sometimes the hotel is only 1-2 miles from work so a rack mounted bag allows me to wear work clothes and not have to change. If I am riding any distance, I’ll need to change clothes anyway so I’ll choose a rucksack.

Messenger bag is another option – keep it low down off your back..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commuting with a laptop’ is closed to new replies.