Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Commuting wheels- 26" or 700c?
  • chopperT
    Free Member

Currently commuting 15mile each way, on 26" wheels, 717 on Hope XC, with Spesh Fatboy slicks.
    Is it worth my while to build a set of hybrid wheels ie:700c rims on MTB disc hubs? Yes they will fit the frame/fork, no I dont want to ride my road bike on the commute.
    What say you?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are you spinning out on the 26" wheels? Do you have to regularly change tyres over to use yuor 26" wheels for other things?

chopperT
    Free Member

Perfectly happy with the gearing, I'm using a 12-25 cassette, and no, it's a slick only wheelset. At 6'4" and 17st I would expect my 717s to last too long offroad! 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the gearing is fine and you're not swapping wheels over to other jobs, I'd be tempted to leave well alone. Especially as you might be a bit harder on wheels than some, it makes sense to stick with the inherantly stronger 26".

joemarshall
    Free Member

I don't think there's a massive difference between a flat bar hybrid and a 26" wheel with a slick tyre – if I ride right up on the flats, my road bike is not much faster than the old 26" wheeled piece of junk it replaced. The big difference in speed is when you have a more aerodynamic position (i.e. drop bars). Oh and tyres, they make a big difference, although you've got sort of narrowish slicks already.

Joe

Lummox

my 700c's on my canondale offer very little bump absorption, i've been contemplating a move the other way due to the poor roads knocking my wheels out of true. They do seem to roll far quicker though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Commuting wheels- 26" or 700c?’ is closed to new replies.