Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Commuting by motorbike
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

I have several threads running at once, this is a pipedream one and if I’m honest never likely to happen. I haven’t got my license and learning then commuting in London* is probably a terrible idea. Thought I’d ask anyway.

*Well from say Twickenham or Surbiton to Chertsey, not proper London 🙁

fontmoss
    Free Member

Hmmm I thought I’d least have a flaming by now…

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Why not? If cycling to work is not an option then commuting by motorbike / scooter is the next best option. Assuming you’re used to cycling in heavy traffic you’ll have a head start on many if you get a bike licence.

mogrim

If you’re only going to use it for short(ish) distance commuting, get a 125 scooter. Cheap to run, they’ll keep you cleaner than a motorbike and are better in traffic.

mattstreet

Seems like a pretty sensible idea, but I’d second the 125 scooter option – like mogrim says it’d be cheaper and easier in traffic, but you can also ride with just with a CBT.

fontmoss
    Free Member

It would be twenty miles each way and decent traffic

mikewsmith
    Free Member

don’t you have those trains that run under the streets down there?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yeah but they’re rubbish

And go wrong way for me. Commuting in traffic much quicker by bike than car?

anagallis_arvensis

Yep its much quicker by bike. If you do get a 125 and only have a cbt get some more training pdq.

nickhart
    Free Member

If you learn and survive riding in London you should be good to go for the rest of the world! I split between car and motorbike, the latter is way better my head is clearer by the time I’m home.
    Get a scooter or a super moto style thing. Much more fun.

fontmoss
    Free Member

I might look into a scooter then could always change to motorbike once can afford training and bike

monkeyp

I have been commuting by scooter for 2 years now. 20 miles each way from Kidderminster to Wolverhampton, so busy, but not London busy.

Just re-taken my CBT as it had expired and to be honest, I am not fussed about riding with L-Plates and the scooter is excellent. I have a Honda PCX. Cheap to run, quick enough (will do about 60-65mph) and does about 120mpg. I have had one ‘off’ in that time and have learnt loads by just riding. Never regretted it. Scooters are very easy to ride in traffic so I think are ideal for commuting.

I guess in reality I use it twice a week on average as I try to cycle in twice a week, use the car when it is icy and only do 4 days in the office anyway.

Factor in costs of equipment – that was almost as much as my bike and it is well worth buying decent kit if you plan to do it in all weather. I fitted a tall screen to my bike, which looks daft, but, I get into work dry. In fact, if it’s raining, the guys who walk from the car park end up wetter than me!

mogrim

If you do get a 125 and only have a cbt get some more training pdq.

More training is never a bad thing, but do you really think it’s that necessary for a 125? Assuming you’ve ridden a bike and you’ve driven a car, it’s not that different. Standard advice of don’t filter up the inside of lorries/buses, watch out for white lines and manhole covers, etc – no difference there to a bike, really.

(It’d be a different matter if it were a bigger motorbike, apart from legal requirements there’s definitely an advantage to getting some on and off road training there).

Gotama
    Free Member

I took my test a while ago with the sole aim of commuting through london, best thing i ever did. Started off with an sv650 which, for me, wasn’t great before moving to a selection of KTM supermotos which are brilliant fun and very easy to get yourself out of trouble with given how easy they are to maneuver….and probably very easy to get into trouble with if you’re stupid. I’m also an advocate of loud cans from a safety perspective; you couldn’t miss my 660 when i was filtering. Loved that bike despite its short comings. Ended up on the SM950 which was still great fun, much smoother but heavier. Now got a 35 mile commute and dithering about buying another bike to do that with as i’m bored of sitting in traffic. Always look wistfully at the big bmw GS bikes when they cruise past.

If you want low hassle get on and go then look at a scooter. No gears, less faff cleaning, bit of weather protection etc. Wouldn’t get a 50cc, too slow imo. If you want to have fun then look at a supermoto for that distance. Something like the Suzuki DRZ would be a good bike to start off on.

br
    Free Member

It would be twenty miles each way and decent traffic

‘Decent’? I think you mean ‘Crap’…

You’ll be filtering the majority of the way, unless you M3/M25 it (and as a learner, you can’t). And Twikenham to Chertsey is only 15 miles.

A 125 Scooter would be perfect, and that journey will be hard as you’ll be filtering down the white lines 90% of the time.

qwerty
    Free Member

When i last did it i used a Vespa GTS250 (had 1200’s / Duke2 etc before), fantastic for the twist and go nature of London traffic and could cruise along at a decent speed. Winter is very harsh for the rider on a motorbike. Leathers look poo on a scooter.

qwerty
    Free Member

+1 Something like the Suzuki DRZ (SM) would be a good bike to use.

tomaso
    Free Member

In the sunshine blasting away from the lights leaving all the city behind you – ah its a dream!

Greasey roundabouts and manhole covers on dull miserable rainy commutes dodging negligent drivers checking the FB updates – is a frickin nightmare!

It is worth doing but you need to have your wits about you as there is so much at stake on a motorcycle.

A 125 scooter is plenty fast enough, offers protection from the weather and costs buttons to run. A large motorcycle eats fuel, £200 pairs of tyres and takes more muscle to hussle through the traffic and gets you into illegal street races with couriers…

tomaso
    Free Member

Trail bikes always seem to coat your legs in water and road muck far more than street bikes, let alone bikes with faring.

DRZ400 is fun but it is very attractive to da yoof for urban off road adventures and may not last very long!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you’re only going to use it for short(ish) distance commuting, get a 125 scooter. Cheap to run, they’ll keep you cleaner than a motorbike and are better in traffic.

Scooter also gives you a safer sitting position if you run into something. Less likely to go over the bars.

Gotama
    Free Member

Tomaso does speak the truth. Commuting is not a lot of fun, a lot of the time. Winter when it’s drizzling, cold and dark when you’re wet and frozen or just a log jam of cars with a rain smeared visor where filtering can feel difficult with cars flying at you from the other direction etc. Then the good times…warm summer evening with a decent run through the traffic; absolute bliss. Before it gets scorchio and you’re sat there with a super heated lump of metal between your legs, sun baking down on your leathers and you’re moving slowly through traffic. But…for me even the bad times were a lot better than pubic transport.

If you do it, i’d say start off on a scooter. No gears to worry about and its easy. If you find you like it then take a full test and get a motard for adding that bit of fun to your commute on the odd occasion that its quiet. Get a big lock though.

br
    Free Member

+1 Something like the Suzuki DRZ (SM) would be a good bike to use.

On what planet? It’ll be noisy, vibrate, too-wide bars, no weather protection, uncomfortable and expensive to-run (compared to a Scooter) – do I need to go on?

I often used to commute around that area, and a Scooter would be perfect. Along with an armoured textile suit, good boots/gloves/helmet. Get a top box installed for carrying anything that won’t fit in the Scoot.

A large motorcycle eats fuel, £200 pairs of tyres and takes more muscle to hussle through the traffic and gets you into illegal street races with couriers…

Yep, and there aren’t many things that can out-accelerate a Triumph 1050 from the lights (long, low and torquey) – especially sports-bike owners who think just because you are riding what looks like a tourer with dayglo clothes, you’ll not be up for a race 🙂

Gotama
    Free Member

? bars on the KTMs never used to cause me an issue commuting from south london up to bond street.

Agreed the scooter is a much easier/cheaper/sensible option for just a commute. Wouldn’t take either down the A3 on a regular basis (125cc scooter) and for when it is quiet the motard is more fun if that element is of consideration. Plus you are also sat up higher so have better vision. Depends where your priorities lie. Following your advice everybody would ride a scooter for commuting, from 50cc up to the 600cc maxi scooters, there’s no reason to use anything else.

zippykona

I rode a scooter once. It was bloody awful. Coming from a motorbike it felt really twitchy and the wheels would fall into the pot holes.
    It was a long time ago so maybe they have got better.
    Do you think it was anything to do with the wheel size?
    (runs for cover!)

Gotama
    Free Member

Out of interest for personal reasons b r, how far is your commute and what do you reckon it costs you per year in tyres and servicing?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It cost me 50p/mile commuting on a 1000cc motorcycle from Gloucestershire to central London. That was at least 8 years ago though. That was backstreet garage servicing and, err, spirited commuting.

I was racing enduro at the time. Commuting really improved my race results. I had to stop before I killed myself.

br
    Free Member

Out of interest for personal reasons b r, how far is your commute and what do you reckon it costs you per year in tyres and servicing?

Not doing it now, but in 2011 Aylesbury to Brentford rtn (about 95 miles) during a contract.

All costs worked out at 27ppm, with running costs of 22ppm (including 9.2ppm on fuel). Fully Triumph serviced and a pair of tyres (and front pads) every 6000 miles. Pretty cheap really, and when you factor in the free parking and additional hour saved, somewhere between free and money-back 🙂

Previous high-mileage commuting bikes I’ve ran cost me:
    Kawasaki ZX9R – 44ppm
    Yamaha FZ1000 – 45ppm

These were higher due to depreciation costs.

Gotama
    Free Member

5thElefant – 😀 I can imagine! I like to think i’ve matured from my days of stoppies on london back streets 😀

Thanks b r, very helpful. I’d be looking at 70 miles a day so not a million miles off where you are.

tomaso
    Free Member

If I were to be in the market for a commuter scooter I would go for one of these because it is a modern C90 with a bit more grunt, bigger wheels than regular scooters and just look at the protection. It all adds up to being just the sort of thing da yoof don’t want to steal!
    Oh and did I mention 1 3 0 M P G all for under a grand with Honda reliability :mrgreen:

cr500dom
    Free Member

I have commuted by bike quite a bit over the years, including a whole winter of Southend – Leamington Spa – Loughboough – Southend working away on a ZX636.
    I had to stop that as I was getting too comfortable with M1-M25 filtering at silly speeds.

I sold My Fireblade Last year as my commute was 10 miles out in the country and I preferred to cycle it, it wasnt worth getting the blade out for.
    October I got made redundant and the company went into recievership (Which was great fun !!)

Now I`m working somewhere else but the commute is 27miles minimum and thats on roads not quiet enough to cycle it…
    In the Van I`m getting mid 30’s mpg and at 300 miles a week on fast A roads, thats a fair saving to be had.

So I`m thinkling of another bike or even a Maxi type sccoter for the commute.
    Heart says I want a KTM 950 Supermoto, head says an F800 Bmw with 70mpg would be more sensible and still “Big bike” Fun

But a more practical option would be a Big Scoot, better weather protection, more storage etc (I Did have a little one for hooning round town a few years back and I loved it) maybe I need to go try a few again ?

Gotama
    Free Member

The 950 has silly short service intervals i think as i had a look at an adventure if i was to go back on a bike for my commute. If you can stomach that then the 950sm is a cracking bike.

F800 GS beemer is my no1 choice. Seems to get good reviews, well kitted out for those cold winter months and still fun. Not sure i could stomach getting on a scooter everyday, even if it is more sensible.

mogrim

Following your advice everybody would ride a scooter for commuting, from 50cc up to the 600cc maxi scooters, there’s no reason to use anything else.

If it’s only for commuting or using about town, and you’re following brain not heart – no, there really isn’t any reason to use anything else. They’re designed for commuting, better weather protection, you can stow your helmet+gloves in a safe dry underseat locker, etc. Where they lose out to a “proper” motorbike is out of town, twisty country roads and the like. And aesthetically, of course 🙂

cr500dom
    Free Member

Gotama – Member

The 950 has silly short service intervals i think as i had a look at an adventure if i was to go back on a bike for my commute. If you can stomach that then the 950sm is a cracking bike.

F800 GS beemer is my no1 choice. Seems to get good reviews, well kitted out for those cold winter months and still fun. Not sure i could stomach getting on a scooter everyday, even if it is more sensible.

This is kind of where I am at too ;o)

Short service intervals, not a problem…….. My Username 😀

This is a man that used to commute from Kenilworth to Whitley on a CR500 Supermoto !!

(For those that dont know thats a 500cc 2 stroke single, open class Motorcrosser, with Little wheels, sticky tyres and big brake) 102kg fully fuelled (Premix only) and 68hp at the rear wheel….not your ideal commuter tool

5thElefant
    Free Member

New rings every 40 hours must have kept you out of the pub 😯

cr500dom
    Free Member

They are actually pretty good if you prep the Piston properly ;o)

And you can change one in under an hour ;o)

Lean seizure at 80 mph just tipping in to a bend concentrated the mind somewhat though !!!

Great fun, mental bike, but the CRF450 I replaced it with was quicker and easier 95% of the time

br
    Free Member

Don’t discount the 1050 Triumphs, both mine have managed +55mpg without trying. And feel very safe with ABS etc, and well built.

Depreciation is low too.

Gotama
    Free Member

BR – Is that the Tiger?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers lots to think about and scooter might be worth a proper look. I’ll see about taster session locally and see how I get on. Regarding the weather then it’ll be better than on a push bike surely?

br
    Free Member

BR – Is that the Tiger?

I had the Tiger first and then a GT. GT was better all round and I’d buy another if I had the need.

Gotama
    Free Member

Fontmoss – On a scooter with bar muffs yes. I used to commute on a singlespeed road bike in between motorbikes. When its wet in the morning on the pedal bike its a pain as you have to put on soaked gear at the end of the day which isn’t pleasant. I would say the scooter approach is a lot less hassle on a daily basis.

Once you’ve done your cbt there are places that you can hire a scooter for a week and see if you get on with it for the commute.

BR – Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Commuting by motorbike’ is closed to new replies.