Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Commuting between Halifax and Leeds
  • barney
    Free Member

I’m about to start a shiny new job in at Leed University, and I’d like to cycle in from Halifax or thereabouts a couple of times a week or so..

Does anyone do this? Or can anyone recommend a decent route that doesn’t involve churning out the miles on a traffic clogged main road?

Ta 🙂

ton

a58 to chainbar, a58 up to birkenshaw fire hq. then left and throught tong village to armley. tong road into town.

nice ride coming, good workout going home.

ajf
    Free Member

Good employer for cycling!!

Cycle lockers, loads of showers to use, bike workshops every two weeks and I can get to trails within 5 minutes that take me nearly all the way home. Also have cycling groups and mailing lists and it is something you feel they positively encourage you to do. Some departments even have separate bike parks for staff!

Can’t recommend a route but good luck!

MartinGT
    Free Member

Nice route from Ton tbh 🙂

Which part of Leeds Uni? As you can cut through Burley Road to Uni rather than into town and back out.

mark_b
    Free Member

I’ve just found these – might be of some use.

woody2000

Canal?

barney
    Free Member

Thanks all 🙂 Ton – looks like I might be able to adapt that for me quite nicely..

Garstang/Miall buildings, dept of biological sciences, on the main campus. I’m afraid I don’t know Leeds at all well, yet, but I’m sure you’re right about the Burley Road!

Is there much off road from the Uni?

barney
    Free Member

Canal would be somewhat long winded – I think it’d be roughly twice as far as using the roads..

Mark_b – I’ve seen those, ta!

willsimmons
    Free Member

You can get ‘off-road’ from the Uni within a few minutes across Hyde Park/Woodhouse Moor and onto Meanwood ridge leading onto quite a selection of trails in Meanwood woods and beyond. Probably not any use on your commute though as it goes in the wrong direction really!

ton

the route i put up is not too bad.
    pretty wide roads too so not too squeezed in.
    the road down through tong is nice.

firestarter
    Free Member

ton i had the route out of leeds up a58 to fire hq when on my pti course i was right in the mood for a full day in the gym after that lol. going home was nice tho 😉

mos

I’d avoid chainbar during rush hour if i could. Tbh can’t think of another way unless you go through wike then down to oakenshaw & pop out at east bierley, then down through tong.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Ton speaks the truth, I reckon that’s your best route.

We want times from you High Tower.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats a frickin epic commute. Having said that, its going to be more comfortable than on the stinking trains that run from Halifax to Leeds…

So glad I don’t have that commute anymore. 15 minute walk over the park and through the woods is much nicer 🙂

woody2000

If you wanted a little offroad, you could turn right off the A58 at the Westfield Pub, the follow the road for about a mile until you get to here, then bear right and follow it onto Wellands Lane which is a bridleway that’ll take you down into Cleckheaton.

When you get to the main road turn left, follow the road until you get to a major junction with traffic lights. Straight on and up the hill (Spen Lane) for a couple of miles, again you’ll get to a major junction with lights where you turn left. Follow the road for a mile or so, then bear right at the Shoulder of Mutton pub. Follow the road round and down, at the end turn right and go down to the entrance of Oakwell Hall.

You can ride up through the park, under the M62 and up to Drig bypass. Go over the bridge, to the road then bear left and follow the road to the main road and turn right – back on the A58 again.

Bit long winded maybe, but it’s a bit of fun if you’re not in a hurry one day! 🙂

Edit: My link above doesn’t work for some reason – postcode bd196ew on multimap gets you to the right spot

barney
    Free Member

Hmm.. thanks for everything, chaps! I’ll give that a go in the next week or two, once I’ve figured out where I am/the showers are…

Ed, are you referring to Ton or I as High Tower? 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Commuting between Halifax and Leeds’ is closed to new replies.