Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commuter/touring pannier advice please
  • banjowhacker
    Free Member

I'm looking to buy some new panniers to replace the Altura ones i've been using for the past 15 years. They have lasted well but my main gripes are that they are not very secure (can't use them on my mountainbike as they bounce off the rack) and they have to be used with liners in the wet. I will mainly be using them for commuting and for weekends away camping.
    It looks like Vaude and Ortleib panniers are the *best*. Is there a clear winner? My budget is up to £100.
    Thanks 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy with my Vaude – secure, waterproof, can carry LOADS of shopping, shoulder strap a boone also.

ton

ortleib roll tops are the daddy……….
    i use carradice, cos i am a old fuddyduddy 8)

Pieface

Ortliebs are good, although the roll-tops can leak if you leave them out all night in the rain and don't undo them carefully or they are empty.

I prefer the bikepacker ones. No idea if they're any better but they look better. Also if you're paranoid like me, you'll wrap clothes and sleeping bag in drysacks anyway 'just in case'.

Also you'll have one that will be opened during the day so stuff will get wet.

Therefore despite owning a pair of Ortliebs, I don't think the waterproof factor is worth putting that much emphasis on, more the secure mounting, which the Ortliebs happen to also have.

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got ortliebs, they are pretty good. Used the rears for about 3yrs commuting now and still look good and havnt suffered from being bashed about. However the '1 big pocket' design isnt perfect and annoys many, ive learned to deal with it but sometimes its annoying to try and find the small thing you want thats disappeared to the bottom.

amplebrew

cynic-al – Member
    Happy with my Vaude – secure, waterproof, can carry LOADS of shopping, shoulder strap a boone also.

Another one for Vaude here 🙂

I use mine everyday in all weathers and they've never leaked and still look like new.

They're easy to use and quick to take on and off the bike.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Back Roller Plus:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b4s74p97

Best price I could find, great panniers

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Ooh… About to throw a spanner in the works and order some Carradice CarraDry bags. It's the rack fixing that's doing it for me (and the price: £65).
    Am I wrong? 😐

ourmaninthenorth

I have Ortliebs. Excellent. Have used them commuting, shopping and touring.

However, when I bought them I wasn't aware of Carradice's similarly waterproof CarraDry bags, and would have happily bought them (to support a British business) instead. A friend has them and they're ace.

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Super! CarraDry bags duly ordered. 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ortleib rock!

I've had the backrollers for years, bombproof. Ortleib say they can't be completely imersed, I've had to chuck them into a river on the end of a rope – they were fine. They've even been driven into by an Alfa – again, just fine …

When we came to get some for the lowriders for this trip, I looked at loads of differnt bags, but nothing seemed as good to me. Plus they match the back 🙂

By contrast the dhb bar bag is a complete faff.

headfirst
    Free Member

I've got Altura Dryline jobbies and they work a treat. Survived some serious downpours this summer in Holland.

EDIT: I now see I'm too late…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

recently got a set of Carradry ones.

They are a bit of a fiddle to fit to the racks ( two handed operation ) – but very secure once on and totally waterproof.

A lot cheaper than ortleibs and the rears are bigger – significantly so.

They also have complex strapping arrangements that allow you to starp stuff securely and easily to the outside.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Too late now but I love my ortleibs,

Unbustable

Secure

Can be loaded single handed even when full loaded to the point of the back plate deforming!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commuter/touring pannier advice please’ is closed to new replies.