Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Commute kit recommendations pls?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Will be needing to buy sensible (yawn) bicycle stuff for the first time soon and I’m completely out of my comfort zone!
    Bike; quickish flat bar with mounts for a rack and mudguards. I really like the Canyon roadlite AL6.0 but it’s not available through the CTW scheme (which ideally it should be). £1000 tops (would prefer less to buy other stuffs).
    Pannier; waterproof and big enough for wash kit incl towel and clothing incl boots and laptop.
    Bike lock; Secure and not weighing a ton?
    Clothing; no lycra, need a breathable waterproof which doesn;t cost the earth and tees and shorts (baggyish)
    Shoes/pedals; Better take the step into clip in thingys

All recommendations very gratefully received. Thanks!

martymac

Mudguards, pure luxury.
    I would go for cheap shimano spd pedals but spend a bit more on shoes.
    Would you consider an alfine type hub? Many owners swear by them, lower maintenance.
    If you leave the lock at work overnight it wont really matter if its heavy.
    Schwalbe marathon tyres.
    I use altura arran panniers, one will swallow a medium sized backpack with ease.
    Front dyno hub with one of the german approved headlights, always on when riding, fit and forget.

SaxonRider

schwalbe marathons are an absolute must.

But can I ask why flatbars? I have them on my commuter, and am looking to change to drops. After 5 years on flatbars, I simply itch for more positions for my hands, and a slightly more racey profile.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Specialized Sirrus?

Carradice Carradry? Although you can get cheaper.

Time ATAC?Double-sided entry and you can walk in the shoes.

gonzy
    Free Member

bike: ive got a Saracen Studio 74…700c wheels, disc brakes, 27sp, pannier rack mounts…£539 it cost me and has served me well for the last 2 years
    EDIT: you can now pick up a new one for £340
    pannier: never used them so i cant recommend
    bike lock: i use an Abus Granite Junior plus when i lock it at work
    clothing: i wear lycra shorts under my baggies…baggies cost me £10 from decathlon and are quite good
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-mountain-bike-cycling-shorts-black-id_8354176.html

i’d recommend the Tenn waterproof trousers
    http://tenn-outdoors.co.uk/collections/mountain-mens-trousers-pants/products/mens-driven-trousers
    i’ve got he shorts version of these and theyre good
    the jacket also looks quite good…the cheap and cheerful waterproof softshells from aldi are worth a look
    shoes/pedals: shimano xc30 have served me well as have the shimano M520 spd pedals

whitestone
    Free Member

Bike: Boardman hybrid? I know one or two who have them as their winter/hack bike.

Pannier: For that amount of kit (can’t you leave any at work?) How about a Carradice SQR bag? I’ve done a week’s B&B style touring with one. https://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=category&category_id=29 clip on and off the bike in seconds.

Shoes/pedals: get cheap SPD pedals then head to your LBS for some lightweight shoes, I’d go for a pair with velcro fastening. Also add in the cost of a pair of overshoes for the wet days.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Id second the Tenn trousers too, can be had now and again on Amazon for 25 quid.

scruff
    Free Member

Leave as much gear at work as you can, take in on Monday and home on Friday. Jackets can be much lighter as the last longer as not getting caked in mud. Montane Soft-shell with a hood and vent zips my favourite. Get a loud bell. Marathons took 3 years to wear out but are heavy and dead feeling. I changed to maxxis something can feel the lower rolling resistance but still pretty tough. Tried foam grips and esi but they get flattened quick, using oury non lock on now. I’d like bar ends but can’t bring myself to stoop so low.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Mudguards, pure luxury.

On a commuter … absolutely essential. Might not seem so at this time of the year, but having commuting through the winter I wouldn’t be without.

Leave as much gear at work as you can, take in on Monday and home on Friday

Good advice. How about driving in on Monday with a full set of clothes for the week and just bringing dirty laundry home in the evenings, or if you’re close enough and have access drop everything off Sunday evening.

That heavy lock can stay locked to the cycle rack at work!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Mudguards, pure luxury.

I wouldn’t say ‘pure luxury’ more like necessity if you’re riding year round in all weathers.

schwalbe marathons are an absolute must.

I’d disagree as I’ve managed fine in 10 years of 20 mile each way commuting without them. I use Continental gp 4season and put some tubeless sealant in the tubes.

I carry very little to and from work, just lunch in my back pocket but I normally drive at least once every couple of weeks so can do a clothes change over then.

Lock is left at work, as are shoes and wash kit.

wrecker
    Free Member

Some great recs and advice here, thanks.
    I don’t know what the situation with storage/lockers is at the moment and I’m keen to keep my workspace tidy so I’m not sure about keeping kit at work (although it would be ideal obv).
    I have a roady type bike with drops, but I’d be happier with brake levers I can use sat upright (in traffic etc) hence the flats. Be good for family rides too. I quite like the Whyte ones but the decent one (with cart bearings etc) is a grand so looking around.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You can use the brake levers on a road bike when you’re sitting up too, you don’t need to be on the drops to use them.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I take my road bike but use flat pedals as cant be arsed with all the clipping in/out with all the stoppages

I’d never use clips in the city centre for that reason. I only use my road bike for commuting now so no need to keep changing the pedals.

I keep a couple of office pants at work and get them dry cleaned whenever they get mingin. Just take a fresh shirt, folded up, in my rucksack on the bike every day

rucksack has pump, shirt, phone, wallet, keys, chain tool, waterproof socks if needed, overshoes if needed

frame bag has multi tool, spare tube and latex gloves (for handling a grimy chain)

keep lock at work. don’t bother showering

Daffy

Mudguards are a must – 90% of the time it’s not raining, but you’re getting wet as the roads are still wet from the previous shower. You can get by without them but, it ruins your bike and your clothes.

Panniers – After asking on here, I use a combination of Ortlieb Front Rollers (but mounted on the rear rack) as I didn’t want a big floppy bag most of the time and a Thule Pack N Pedal (as it’s take a massive 17″ notebook).

Lights – USB Rechargeable (so you can charge them anywhere) front and rear blinky lights for all weathers, and something brighter for the winter.

Pump – A good quality pump hat isn’t stored on the frame.

Tyres – I’d go for tubeless over Marathons any day. Marathons are VERY heavy. I’ve ran Vittoria Voyager 37mm tyres for almost 12000 miles without a puncture. Something with a reflective sidewall (like Schwalbe/Vittoria) is very useful in winter.

Clothing – Endura Singletrack shorts are pretty nice to commute it, but 3/4bibs are better for mixed weather as they dry VERY fast. If your commute is short (less than 10 miles) I’d consider a waterprrof gillet for 3/4 of the year rather than a full waterproof jacket. Top – to your choice, but I’d buy something light and then layer according to the temperature.

Locks – Small chain lock (8mm links) IF you need to carry one and a D-Lock left at work with vaseline in the lock barrels.

SaxonRider

bike: ive got a Saracen Studio 74

Hey! So do I. Maybe we’re brothers!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I keep a couple of office pants at work and get them dry cleaned whenever they get mingin

Pants as in underpants or pants as in ‘american trousers’, for the former I put clean ones on daily rather than wearing until crusty!

connect2

Do consider a drop bar bike, I use a Boardman CX, disc brakes for when it’s wet and can also get used for other things at the weekend. Mudguards are handy

I’ve fitted a rack (can be removed in seconds) and use a Carradice Bike Bureau that I got cheap on ebay. Bombproof, holds an amazing amount of stuff and looks fine off the bike as well for the days I drive

As others have said, leave lock at work

Why no lycra? I’m old and fat but still wear it, it’s just more convenient. I’ve a selection of long and short sleeve base layers, fleeces and a soft shell jacket that can be combined as conditions dictate. If it’s properly raining I either drive or accept that I’m going to get wet either from above or from sweat. Haven’t found a cheap waterproof yet that’s breathable

Shoes are ok in the summer but a pair of winter boots makes all the difference when it’s cold and wet

highlandman
    Free Member

Bike: You could consider a Planet X Kaffenback flat bar build; stick bar ends on it. I use a similar On-one rigid 29er. For this sort of use, mtb gears will prove cheaper, more reliable and repairable in the long run than road kit. Discs are a life-saver.
    Pannier: Altura. Or Ortleib, if you want ultimate reliability, at a price.
    Lock: Go hefty and park it.
    Clothing: Again, consider Aldi, IF it fits you. Edinburgh Bike Co-op own brand stuff is well worth considering; they know their market and the stuff is always good value.
    Pedals: Shimano M520 and a basic race styled shoe to fit your feet. Ad in £20 for overshoes and you’re sorted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

mtb gears will prove cheaper, more reliable and repairable in the long run than road kit

Not sure I get that, no idea about cheaper but why would an mtb rear mech be any more reliable or repairable than a road one?

I’d agree with discs, got them on my new commuter and in the rain they really are a revelation.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Shoes are ok in the summer but a pair of winter boots makes all the difference when it’s cold and wet

+1 for the winter boots. Only just stopped using mine regularly.

CX, disc brakes

again, a big +1 here. A CX will give extra versitility when choosing route — canal tow paths, bridleways, farm and forest tracks etc and just generally handle sh*tty country lanes better

IA

+1 all the above on getting panniers and mudguards, both essential.

On the pedals/shoes, I prefer to commute in clips and spd shoes, then change shoes at work. Means I’m always in clean/dry shoes at work, and when shoes are just in use at work (left under my desk), they last longer too.

Spare underwear/socks/shirt for emergencies stashed at work. You’ll forget something one day, or get unexpectedly soaked through.

D0NK

As others have said mudguards are essential for uk commuting.
    Unless you have a silly long commute I’d seriously consider wind rather than waterproof outers and a pacamac type thing for the rare occasions it gets biblical. Unless you’re splashing out on something very breathable then over the year you’ll end up wetter from sweat than from the odd time the weather actually justifies waterproofs.

Shoes are open to debate, if you commute once or twice a week then consider some nice waterproof ones, if it’s daily then during the wetter months waterproof ones will struggle to dry between use, so quick drying shoes with overshoes.

I’m fortunate enough to stash clothes at work and keep bike safely inside (and a shower) so just carry basics on my bike, pump on cage mount thingy, tools in saddle pack. Bumbags are very useful things, minimal sweaty back, just the right size for tools, pump, wallet, phone, and with a couple of velcro loops you could attach a D lock – they’re just deeply, deeply uncool.

Spare brake pads, aaa batteries and puncture repair at work, I have a spare tube aswell when I’m organised.

whitestone
    Free Member

Re: leaving clothes at work.

I leave a pair of pants (undies) and socks at work but take a pair of each in each day anyway. If I forget then I’m not having to go commando 🙄

I also leave a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes at work so those don’t need to be carried each day.

My commuter is a Genesis Croix de Fer with disk brakes. I added mudguards and have a 4 litre Ortlieb saddle bag which takes work clothing, waterproof and a pump with ease. Toolkit and spare inner go in a tool bottle.

Lights: USB rechargeable (unless you work at RyanAir), again leave a charging cable at work so you can’t forget it though most such lights are mini-USB so there’s usually some cables about these days. The ideal is a dynamo setup but this will probably mean a rebuild of your front wheel.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I like the Altura night vision stuff for winter commuting. The evo waterproof jacket can often be found reduced to ~£60. Maybe too warm for a wet summer though.

Consider pedals that are SPD on one side and flat on the other.

I just have cheap panniers from Edinburgh Bike coop. Carry everything I need and have lasted years. Use plastic bags if very wet.

Puncture resistant tyres are amazing. Marathon plus or the Continental gatorskin. Marathon winters are amazing if you’re on icy roads.

Mudguards are a necessity – keep your feet so much drier.

mrlugz
    Free Member

I justpicked up a Scott Sub 20 for decent money. Full mudguards as standard, hydro discs, flat bars, deore running gear.

Isnt going to win any beauty contests but its fuctional. (Even less so as I stuck a set of nukeproof warhead bars on it)

Personally I cant get away with panniers, every set I have tried catch my heels.
    I tend to not worry too much about what I wear, Its only 35 mins each way. Im currently in T-shirt and shorts, though if its raining when I leave Ill use a coat. Cheap flouro water resistant aldi type thing.

Tool wise I carry a multi, tube and pump. If its anything that cant sort Im walking. All in mid sized rucksack. (20L evoc)

D lock is left at work because it weighs a ton.

trail_rat
    Free Member

marathons suck.

They manage to turn any bike in to an energy sapping horror to ride.

I run marathons during the winter and love summer tyre time every year its brilliant to get back on the summer tyres.

mudguards and panniers are essential for any decent length commute.

Decent clothes last longer – there is obviously a cut off , if your commuting often and your clothes are getting washed more it destroys it. Aldi stuff regardless of fit didnt last long at all ..

scruff
    Free Member

I use some shimano pedals with cage on one side and spd on the other. Use my old spd mtb shoes for commuting and can wear vans to the pub or shops. I’ve bought a bar bag for lunch and things to replace the daily use of a backpack. Lots nicer having nothing on the back.

SaxonRider

marathons suck.

They manage to turn any bike in to an energy sapping horror to ride.

I agree with you in terms of their ride, but do you have any suggestions for alternatives?

Summer or winter, I ride the streets through Cardiff University which are absolutely covered in broken glass: a former pint glass here; a broken bottle there. On the Contis I had before (can’t remember which, exactly), I was literally repairing a puncture ever few days. Since switching to Schwalbe MPs, I have not had an issue in more than two years. Not. A. Single. Puncture. in a few 1000 miles of commute.

Yes, they roll like blocks of wood. But they get me there and back.

Please help by indicating a product that can do likewise but without deadening the ride.

wrecker
    Free Member

You can use the brake levers on a road bike when you’re sitting up too, you don’t need to be on the drops to use them.

How?

Why no lycra?

Not going to happen.

The route is >10 miles each way and mainly cyclepath.

I do like the CDF.

whitestone
    Free Member

You can actuate the brakes on road bikes when riding “on the hoods” as well as when riding “on the drops”.

wrecker
    Free Member

How do you do this? Can you change gear too?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you pull them .

I even have a set of sissy levers on my flats of my drops which let me brake from bolt upright when riding in traffic.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so i can brake from every normal hand position on my bars.

SaxonRider

Yes indeed. I would expect that that’s the way most riders ride most of the time. Just extend your index finger downward to shift one way, and your thumb down to shift the other.

whitestone
    Free Member

How do you do this? Can you change gear to

The saddle of the hood fits in to the fleshy bit between thumb and forefinger. Braking is then just a matter of pulling on the levers, changing gear (when using STI at least) is a matter of finger or finger/thumb depending on what level of gear you have. If you have Di2 then it’s just a tap of the finger on the appropriate lever for up or down.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are you joking?

wrecker
    Free Member

No. I’ve only ever used my defy on the trainer. Roadying isn’t something I have ever done for enjoyment.

RustySpanner

Rims that can take Schrader valves.
    You’ll run out of tubes/glue/patience at some point – you can buy Schrader tubes anywhere.

The Edinburgh Bike Co-Op waterproof panniers are quality for the money.
    Daughter has had hers for 10 years now, bit batterered, still fine in everyday use.
    Every bit as good as the Ortliebs I use now.

Dynamo lights:
    Recent convert after all the praise on here.

You would not believe how good they are.
    Nothing like the flickery, unreliable mess of old.
    Like having a car headlight on your bike.
    Not having to faff with batteries and stash a charger at work is priceless.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’ve only ever used my defy on the trainer.

Wait wait – You already have a Giant Defy? Why don’t you just ride that to work?

Daffy

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Rims that can take Schrader valves.
    You’ll run out of tubes/glue/patience at some point – you can buy Schrader tubes anywhere.

I don’t think I’ve been anywhere (that sells cycling paraphernalia) in the last 15 years that didn’t have a Presta tube for 700c…It’s by far and away the most common standard…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Commute kit recommendations pls?’ is closed to new replies.