• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tang.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Commonwealth Games – Indian Spokesman Reply
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Bhanot explained: “Everyone has different standards about cleanliness. The Westerners have different standards while we have different standards.”

Great what a lovely place to go, my Aunt is a missionary and has travelled the world. The only place she did not like was India for various reasons but mainly for the hygiene and how corrupt the country is. I would not bet against a back hander being paid for them to get these games the country has no infrastructure, they treat their poor people like sh–. I cannot see why any decent athlete would risk themselves going to these games, I mean why most of the stars will not be there anyway.

slowjo
    Free Member

…wanders off to get fire extinguisher. Puts coffee on, opens packet of biscuits.

Surely you have been here long enough to know this is like a red rag to a bull? Maybe that’s the point….

clubber
    Free Member

racist.

WHAT? C’mon someone had to say it… 🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

racist.

WHAT? C’mon someone had to say it..

Definitely racist! That Bhanot needs to be taken to task on that. How can he generalise about the standards of cleanliness’ of Westerners. He’s obviously never been to Sunderland.

davidrussell
    Free Member
    binners

Super Scale 20 relaxing at home yesterday

😀

highclimber
    Free Member

I feel insulted. how dare they suggest we are all horribly clean over here!

thepurist

However you look at it, it’s a complete screw up by the project management and monitoring teams – they must have been aware of these issues earlier, yet it seems they chose to slip deadlines rather than face the issues and then everything falls apart at the last minute when the deadlines can’t be slipped any more. Calling off the event now will effectively kill off India’s chances of being selected to host other major events in the future (F1 in 2011??), so they absolutely need to get it sorted.

binners

To be fair, my standards of cleanliness can get pretty lax. As i amagine do most blokes. But if someone had curled one off in my front room, I suspect i may have something to say on the matter

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Nice one binners 😆

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

C’mom, we’ve had Ijaz Butt talking out of his arse, sorry butt as well recently, with the accusations of english cricketers match fixing. He can’y provide any evidence except gossip, which he equates to being the same level of evidence as the NOTW videos of Pakistani cricketers match fixing.

India barely has the infrastructure to look after its own population, without trying to take on international sporting events worth millions. It has nothing to do with different standards, I understand today the roof of the weight-lifting arena has collapsed. It’s to do with personal health & safety for many of these athletes.

I’m with SuperScale on this one.

psychle
    Free Member

international sporting events worth millions

£3.2 billion in fact… just how much could that have done elsewhere in the country?

carbon
    Free Member

What has Ijaz Butt got to do with the Indian CWG spokesman?

binners

Yeah… lets excuse them all because they have different standards. 2 words: Chinese Olympics

I believe the average living standards for the majority of Chinese aren’t exactly comparable to Chelsea and Knightsbridge. But not only did they do an ‘adequate’ job, they surpassed anything done before.

So considering we’re hearing economists constantly saying how India is the next economic superpower, I think its a lot more than their reputation for hosting sporting events that they need to worry about

And accusing someone of being racist for making a statement like the one above is just plain stupid

Well I’ve decided to pull out.
    I won’t be representing the UK mountain bike racing team in Delhi this year.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

But the Olympics are a big thing. They have prestige. They are contested by the world, not some arbitrary vision of the red bits on a map from days of yore. No one gives a flying **** about the Commonwealth Games. Why do they still persist with it? As recently as 1986 the Edinburgh games, right here in the “first world”, had to be bailed out of a financial meltdown by Robert Maxwell.

The athletes should MTFU and get on with it. If they can cope with the filth, squalor and monsoon conditions in Delhi, they should be OK for the next Games in the east end of Glasgow.

clubber
    Free Member

And accusing someone of being racist for making a statement like the one above is just plain stupid

Of course it is, that was my point… 😉

I guess I should have clarified by stating that I expected Elf’n’Fred along soon…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

carbon – Member
    What has Ijaz Butt got to do with the Indian CWG spokesman?

Nothing, except he’s obviously pissed at his countrymen having been caught, so he’s now slinging shit at the english cricket team for fun – if it was an Englishman in the same situation, the rest of the world would soon be shouting racist.

binners

Sorry clubber. I’m just so used to the knee-jerk reaction of the usual suspects on here, I’ve become completely desensitised to it. Its like the opposite of being a guard at Aushwitz 😉

mangatank
    Free Member

My Aunt is a missionary and has travelled the world. The only place she did not like was India for various reasons but mainly for the hygiene and how corrupt the country is. I would not bet against a back hander being paid for them to get these games the country has no infrastructure, they treat their poor people like sh–.

Sigh. You’ve clearly never been there and you’re quoting a ‘missionary aunty’. 🙄

I’ve worked there in business and found it to be a flawed but vibrant and amazing country and People.

Your comments may not be rascist, but they’re certainly very prejudiced.

clubber
    Free Member

but mainly for the hygiene and how corrupt the country is

She can’t have travelled a huge amount outside the first world then based on my own experiences…

-m-
    Free Member

I understand today the roof of the weight-lifting arena has collapsed.

I haven’t seen pictures of what has happened, but reading some of the reports this incident sounds like the media looking for a story that isn’t necessarily there. It appears that part of a suspended ceiling has failed under the weight of some cables that had been run across it rather than supported separately. If this is what has happened then, whilst not great, it probably wouldn’t have even warranted a mention if it was the only issue in the run up to the games.

Responding more generally, as others have said it’s a developing country. Things are different – wealth, health, infrastructure etc. Differences remain that we would/do find unpalatable/unacceptable based on our own standards. That’s not to say these things are necessarily right/justifiable just because it’s a developing country, but it’s not always appropriate to dismiss them as wrong just because they’re different.

tang
    Free Member

well im half indian and let me tell you india is a nightmare when it comes to planning. there are usually far too many people involved all skimming along the way and the result is usually a poor finish. last time i was there i saw the metro being built, a hassle free travel system that glides visitors over the squalor below it seemed.
    heres an example of municipal planning; the street outside the family home has been rough dirt for ever and finally(4 years waiting) a beautiful brick road is laid, really nice. then in mid summer its decided that the town needs a sewage system, great! at last. dig up the 2 month old road completely and in the process cut off the water supply for several thousand(poor) people during the heatwave(51deg). we are lucky enough to have a deep bore well so for 3 months we have provided water day and night to the community.
    the town is full of massive holes with not allot happening and no one seems to know whats going on.
    id love india to have a successful major event, but i do have my doubts.
    they should have got the railways to build it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Commonwealth Games – Indian Spokesman Reply’ is closed to new replies.