Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Commencal the new Crack n Fail
  • jedi

i cracked my demo9 and my bmx last week(serious)

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

If bikes didn't crack from time to time, they wouldn't offer warranties…. Most manafacturers will have breakages from time to time! I don't think i could name a manafacturer that i haven't seen cracked at one point or another. Intense are incredible for it, yet their reputation is still going strong. It's like Ferraris and Lambos. Yeah, the doors will sometimes not close, and they occasionally burst into flames, but you still would!
    Commencals (Comicals) are still proper rubbish though!

CountZero

Those crack'n'fail's, IIRC, they all had 1" headtubes, welded to oversize frametubes. Not good. Since then, I don't think Cannondale have been any worse than any other company. Certainly I've heard nothing about failures from a mate who sells them. Or Trek and Gary Fisher, for that matter.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Maybe there are a number of Commencal frames failing because their branding encourages hard riding? There are bound to be some breakages now and again, surely?

stcolin
    Free Member

Not much love for the Commencal brand here I see! I'll put it down to jealousy 😉

I'll not lie and say that the reported cracks don't worry me. However, some of these cases have been user error. Running 160mm forks on a Meta5 frame, leading to excess stress on certain areas of the frame. My 09 frame is a large, which has the shock mount on the seat tube only, not on the seat and top tube combined. Lets hope that doesn't lead to problems.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

bent_udder said
    >Not sure why I'd want an old Nomad – anyone mentioned yet that they look like a pooing labrador?

Oi, as someone who's just bought a used US-built Nomad, I resemble that remark. I love the look of the Nomad but I'm never going to be able to get that analogy out of my head now 😉

woodsman
    Free Member

A guy in one of the groups I ride with, is on his third frame!

psychle
    Free Member

bent_udder said

anyone mentioned yet that they look like a pooing labrador

Munqe-chick said

Oi, as someone who's just bought a used US-built Nomad, I resemble that remark…

eh what? 😆 You look like a pooing labrador?? 😯

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Think he means "resents".

twohats – Member

Yeh santa cruz's are ALL made in taiwan now as far as I'm aware dasnut.

Most of them by Giant no less…

Is that true? well well well…

twohats
    Free Member

Not sure why I'd want an old Nomad – anyone mentioned yet that they look like a pooing labrador?

There are far worse looking swoopy tubed bikes about since the Nomad 1st appeared, its funny that the Nomad still gets singled out though…

Telemaster18 – Member

Think he means "resents".

twohats – Member

Yeh santa cruz's are ALL made in taiwan now as far as I'm aware dasnut.

Most of them by Giant no less…

Is that true? well well well…

Its hardly a secret, they make frames for just about everybody, Giant being the biggest manufacturer of bicycles in the world and all that!

Some interesting info on your "exotic" frames here:

http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328

glenp
    Free Member

What a load of twaddle re made in Taiwan! Virtually all quality frames are made in Taiwan.

I do think there is something in the Meta 5 stories though, because I've had people relate similar stories – and they had trouble getting a replacement frame because the importer was short of frames…

We have a load of Combi Disk hardtails though, and they have never let us down. I don't think it is all Commencals.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Someone made the labrador analogy to me a few years back, and now I can't see a Nomad without picturing a straining mutt. 😀

jeff

My 2006 Meta 5 frame cracked at the top/head tube join.

Madison/Skyline got me a 2008 replacement despite the fact that it was sold via the previous importers, not madison AND I was not the original owner. Their newer frames have an extra gusset in this area.

No complaints on Comencal's customer service here.

I've had cracks/failures on Cove, Ellsworth and Kona bikes – no one is immune.

Crag
    Free Member

Just broke my 2nd. Agree with dasnut, cheap Andorran sh1te!

Keep an eye on the classifieds for the replacement once I get it. Obviously, I'll be praising the brand in the advert!!

Top.Dog
    Free Member

just checked my meta4, as you've all got me paranoid – nothing

genesis
    Free Member

I know of 4 faliures, on 5's and 6's

PikeBN14
    Free Member

mildred – Member
    what length forks did those hummers have?

140mm Pikes on both I think.

dasnut
    Free Member

still not broke my nomad (with 180mm totems on no less) after another 2 weeks in the alps

so, anyone else broke a meta this week?

also, anyone broke a lapierre yet? also made in taiwan, with a weedy shock mount

JohnnyPanic

I had a 2008 Meta 5, rode it hard and had no problems with it for 11 months. Just replaced it with an 09 Meta 5 which rides just as well, if not better. They're brilliant to ride but I do keep checking the welds, just in case.

It does seem that there was a problem with the welding on a batch of 5's but the existence of the owners club site concentrates the reported problems – you hear more about them just because of that. It seems for the 2010 bikes (out in September) Commie have moved to a different manu plant and a different paint manu as well (the 09 paint looks good but chips easy). Gone are the gussets that adorn the earlier bikes and one can only hope that the quality is much better this year.

The commie warranty process seems slow but sure. I've also heard of quite a few people being upgraded from the 5 to the 6 so as long as the bike is still within warranty they do look after you.

Oh and did I mention, they're brilliant bikes to ride. 😀

woodey
    Free Member

14.5 stone "bull in a china shop rider" (ie. limited skill, lots of speed)

2008 Meta 5, Cwmcarn / Afan through the winter, 2 summers in the Alps (Pila, La Thuile, Sestriere etc), no cracks, no problems.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Commencal the new Crack n Fail’ is closed to new replies.