• This topic has 38 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • comfy bib shorts for centuries ?
  • iainc

Have some Endura FS260 pro’s which need replacing. They have seen many long rides and are quite good. Tried a pair of DHB Aeron Pro’s today which were a good price, nice fit, but the pad got a bit uncomfy after 60 miles. Do I need to bite the Assos bullet and spend £150 ?

simondbarnes

Endura Equipe Endurance Bibshorts are lovely. I also have a pair of Castelli Bodypaint which are jolly comfy on long rides too.

scotroutes

Endura FS260 Pros?

I like the Gore Oxygens too.

wiggles
    Free Member

Leisure lakes branded santini bibs are £42. Without the LL logos the same shorts are £80

tlr

All depends on your budget. If you can afford assos then you won’t regret it for a moment, but there is no getting away from the fact hat they cost a bit.

I’ve got 5 pairs of the S5 T Uno, enough for a week away, and they are brilliant. I did 11k miles last year and never once needed bum cream!

neilforrow

Have a look at Chapeau’s classic bib. Good value IMO.
    http://www.chapeau.cc/classic-black-bib-short.html

Have tried these against RH and endura and they have a far superior pad.

If you are feeling flush then the pave bibs are worth a look but you cant really go wrong with the classics.

iainc

Some good ideas, thanks. Need to get round Glasgow bike shops as would rather try and buy than go online for them

doof_doof
    Free Member

Sportful Total Comfort

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I get on well with the Bouré Pro Bib Shorts which have a nice thin chamois that is broad enough to cover all areas. Unlikely you can try on though, unless you happen to be in the States.

iainc

I had looked at those Sportful ones but with long body and short legs the reviews werent great. Shame as have a few of their tops which are good

darrell
    Free Member

dare i say it

RAPHA

without a doubt the best i have used

Suggsey
    Free Member

Out of all the bib shorts I have owned I can’t find more comfortable ones than my treasured Assos with the million mile insert ( can’t remember how it’s worded in Italian lol). They are supremely comfortable for high milage rides.

mogrim

I like Specialized bib shorts, reasonably priced too. Certainly good enough for century rides.

Not tried Assos or Rapha, though!

iainc

For those with Assos, how do they size up, regular or ‘Italian’ ?

jamj1974

On a similar note I’m looking for some warm bib 3/4 preferably with a water-resistant Teflon type finish. Any recommendations…? Had a couple of pairs of Endura recently, the first pair were really comfortable, the second not at all.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Definitely Italian think I had the biggest suez they did as I’m a 6′ 01 with a somewhat portly figure!
    Still damn comfy now I am slimmer though!

iainc

jamj – the dhb vaeon roubuaix ones are good, very toasty

jamj1974

Cheers!

iainc

well the Assos T.equipe S7 ones came….and are going back…. Followed the size chart, for what it’s worth, but they are more racing snake cut than my shape 🙂 5ft 10, 34 waist, long back, went for Large..

Spud

For training and riding LEJOG last year I had/ have a mix of Castelli, Rapha and Assso. Teh Castelli have both had pad stitching come undone so are consigned to commuting duties. The others are going strong. Interestingly I had to go to a small from my normal medium for Assos and Rapha to get the best fit. Recently bought a pair of Rapha pro-team bibs and they’re without doubt the dogs danglies, and they blinking should be for what they cost.

RichT

CRC had some expensive cannondale ones heavily reduced. I have found them excellent for long road rides.

davedodd
    Free Member

I have Assos, and find them no better than anything else if I’m honest. My favourite’s are my Funkier shorts which cost all of £33.

kcal

Morvelo?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The Etxeondo bibs have a great pad and are best I have used. Merlin had a load in stock a while back. A lot of people seem to compare them favourably to Assos.

Nobby

I have a pair of Assos which are comfier than the Endura/DHB/Gore offerings I’ve tried but I prefer the Pearl Izumis myself. Quite often on offer at S****t P*****t.

damitamit
    Free Member

I swear by Sugoi Evolution bibs (their cheap ones) for long rides. Worn them on 400k/600k audaxes san bum cream before with not too much problem.

martello
    Free Member

Have a look at http://galibier.cc, I bought some of their team shorts and the quality is right up there with the likes of Assos/ Castelli et al. They’re also based in NI which ties in nicely with the Giro.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Morvelo?

This.

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Assos bibs and just recently bought a pair of Morvelo ones. The Morvelo’s are far more comfortable than the Assos and about half the price as well. I was really impressed with them for the price.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

In the spirit of just recommending what I have, Louis Garneau Equipes have been good for me.

GrahamS

Have some Endura FS260 pro’s which need replacing. They have seen many long rides and are quite good.

Opened the thread to recommend them. Comfy and not as horrendously expensive as some.

plus-one

I picked up a pair of the Planet X 365 bib shorts(luckily I could get look/try on) at Edinburgh shop.. £39.99

Well made slightly thicker straps on bib but well put together .. 95 miles in them yesterday without issue.. I have assos/rapha/endura pro.. And for the money these are spot on

iainc

thanks all, have found a pair of FS260 Pro’s locally and purchased. Also found the Etxeondo ones half price on Merlin so taken a punt on a pair of XL’s, which can always go back if fit poor.

zilog6128

Did my first century last weekend in a pair of ZipVit bibs. Definitely the comfiest I’ve ever been* on a long ride, didn’t have any issues at all. Awesome value (especially when on sale at £28!)

* having been purely DHB or similar up to this point, never tried any “premium” brands before.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m interested in trying some of those Morvelo… They are £80 which isn’t quite half the price of Assos (well it is of the most expensive Assos).

I’ve got 3 pairs of Assos now, the more expensive milli’s are for when I ride longer rides, but the cheap unos (should be able to pick them up for £80ish) are also super comfortable.

Better than the various Gore, Giordana and dhb bibs I’ve tried.

I’m currently searching around for a pair of bibs that would be as comfy as the assos but less fragile on the mountain bike…

Its a bit like saddles though, whether they work for you depends on your bum!

Sanny
    Free Member

I struggle to see beyond Assos to be honest although Pearl Izumi do some nice stuff too. Used in combo with minty arse lard and you’re onto a winner.

Gore just don’t fit as well in my experience while the quality control and variable fit of Endura kit is in my experience p*ss poor. : 😕

swisstony
    Free Member

i bought some of these the other week and am very impressed, very comfy and very well made and a steal at £35 compared to some other brands

http://www.d2dcyclingclothing.co.uk/product-category/bib-shorts/

iainc

Sanny – Member
    I struggle to see beyond your Assos[

as well, especially when youre on that fat bike 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Try Prendas for some Santini bibs – good range, next day delivery and really good advice on fitting

iainc

Etxeondo ones landed, nice one Merlin, ordered less than 24 hrs ago. First impression good, fits well (XL), nice pad, well built. Cheers all

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘comfy bib shorts for centuries ?’ is closed to new replies.