Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • If you were to build a hardtail…
  • somouk
    Free Member

What size wheels would it have?

I have a 26″ full sus and while it’s great out in the wilds and at trail centers I miss the speed and fun of the hardtail on the roads and fire roads of my local trails.

Seen as I’m 30 this year I might have an excuse to build up a hardtail but I’m undecided what size wheels to go for so what’s the hive minds opinion?

bol

If have another 29er, but I’m tall and old and not particularly skillful and they suit me.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

May as well go for a point of difference and get a 29’er if you want speed on fire roads. If you want real speed on fire roads get a CX bike.

Northwind

I’d pick the frame I liked most not the wheels, so it’d be 26 on another Ragley Ti. I can see the logic in 29 inch for hardtails, though.

porter_jamie

26″ is a bit niche these days. i’d go 26″ simply because thats what i have knocking about already. i want an 853 ss frame that isn’t heavy and since cotic simple is now 29er i can’t really find one

boxfish
    Free Member

26″ cos I have the wheels already!

I_Ache
    Free Member

It all depends on what you want from the bike.

Long travel.
    26″

High speed xc with sub 130mm forks
    29″

Make use of what you have already including wheels and tyres.
    26″

I’m not even entertaining 650b. Load of bollocks.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

a 26″ 853 frame with 1 1/8th standard headtube and 68mm BB.

Custom as you like, but that’s what I’d have.

Will make sense once I buy that Chris King double.

slackalice
    Free Member

My current build project is an 07 Ala Carte. Tange prestige tubes, 26″ and an 80mm fork 😀

Have all the bits gathered and given Mrs Slack has said she would like to know more and start to understand her own bike, so she can fix and maintain it, we’re lining up a build tuition day where she will build it with guidance from moi 😀 8)

I’ve been asked to label all the bits with corresponding labels on the bits fitted to her bike. Sounds like a plan to me 😀

bigblackshed

porter_jamie – Member
    26″ is a bit niche these days. i’d go 26″ simply because thats what i have knocking about already. i want an 853 ss frame that isn’t heavy and since cotic simple is now 29er i can’t really find one

18″ Sanderson Soloist 853 on the evilBay ATM.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cfinnimore – Member
    a 26″ 853 frame with 1 1/8th standard headtube and 68mm BB.

Why would anybody spec a 1 1/8th HT these days?

Firstly what do you want it for?
    Do Everything?
    XC?
    Fun Bike?
    Harcore HT?
    Niche Posing Bike?

Pick the frame the suits and build from there.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

What would I do with the hypothetical Chris King mike? 🙂

Besides, there’s the Dialled Alpine to buy off classifieds, the Norco in the cupboard, the Bfe off the classifieds…

Just speccing for myself with what I have available.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

leave it well alone??

Just seeing the writing on the wall with regard to fork availability 🙂 It’s more of a fork you than 650b really.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Agree re forks.

Agree in general.

Sad now.

Cheezpleez

Build a rigid SS 29er. Nothing else makes sense since we entered the age of Aquarius.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and witha rigid SS 29r you will save loads in razor blades too…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

MAGNESIUM!

sbibby1988
    Free Member

image by shaunbibby, on Flickr

Just finished building this recently, straight steerer fork and, 26″ steel. So defo outdated by some standards,
    but its Soo much fun for ripping round local loops when the meta am is far too much bike!

_tom_
    Free Member

26 as it’d mean I don’t need to get new wheels. Saying that though the Kona Explosif 650b looks so good in orange.

adrec
    Free Member

26er for tyre/wheel commonality

slackalice
    Free Member

That Soma looks lovely 8)

mattjg
    Free Member

What size wheels would it have?

650b or 29+. I already have a 29er and I’m done with 26.

I’m not even entertaining 650b. Load of bollocks.

Definitely 650b then!

mattjg
    Free Member

I miss the speed and fun of the hardtail on the roads and fire roads of my local trails

srsly – that sounds like a classic 29er use case to me. they’re fine on the downs too but a smaller wheel will always be a bit more agile if you’re riding at the limits. actually I like the stability of my 29er anyway, I’m not the most agile of riders myself.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Its not suprising but it is odd, that this kind os statement is almost universal, yet theres some real hostility to 650b. Both incramental improvements reqiring new frames/forks, ones just a few years ahead of the other.

wiggles
    Free Member

If I was (which I am) it is a dialled alpine with retro 26″ so all my tyres fit all my bikes.

euanc
    Free Member

If you are going for a long travel HT and starting from scratch you would be mad not to go for a 29er, providing the numbers are right and it has a nice short back end it will be as fun (more so because of the speed) and handle rough stuff a lot better than a 26″ bike.

Just what I have found anyway.

slackalice
    Free Member

I think it depends upon what sort of ride you wanted, rather than what someone else regards as sanity?

I am a teapot though 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I see no reason not to go for a larger wheel size unless you have any other considerations you want to accommodate, like sharing wheels with your current 26er. But, If there isn’t then why get hung up on wheel size at all.? Conventional wisdom might say if you wanted an XC racy orientated bike then go 29er, if you want something more long travel/DH orientated then 26″ or 650b, but I think these boundaries are becoming more and more blurred as big wheeled bikes are developed. My AM bike is a good example. I’d ignore wheel size and go for a bike you want or fits the type of riding you want to do. If that is only available in one wheel size you have your answer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Its not suprising but it is odd, that this kind os statement is almost universal, yet theres some real hostility to 650b. Both incramental improvements reqiring new frames/forks, ones just a few years ahead of the other.

One shows the inevitability of the other, neither is that much of a good thing for the consumer.

Del

larger headtubes allow greater strength at the front of the frame. the only parts they require to make them fit existing kit ( 1 1/8th ) are headset bits. they don’t suddenly make your old fork unusable.

NormalMan

You mention wanting speed / ground covering ability so IMHO 29er ht.

As someone that owns a fs 26er and 29er ht I’d (in true stw tradition) recommend that as a good combo.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Del – Member
    larger headtubes allow greater strength at the front of the frame. the only parts they require to make them fit existing kit ( 1 1/8th ) are headset bits. they don’t suddenly make your old fork unusable.

Very true but the lack of new forks with 1 1/8th does start to make the frame unusable.

Cheezpleez

Buy the bike that makes you most excited and that will be the right one. For a while, at least. 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

It does sound like a 29er is needed…but try before you buy. That new Stanton Sherpa looks lovely in green.

euanc
    Free Member

I think it depends upon what sort of ride you wanted, rather than what someone else regards as sanity?

I am a teapot though

That’s exactly what I meant, maybe I should have written aggressive rather than long travel 😉

orangeboy
    Free Member

I was stunned how little choice there was when looking for normal 1 1/8 forks the other week
    But for me I’d still want a threaded bb shell , I’m not a press fit fan

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘If you were to build a hardtail…’ is closed to new replies.