Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • colleague keeps showing me his
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

recent results on some computerised home cycling training aid, and its making me uncomfortable. I’m led to believe he does it on a set up in his kitchen. This morning he showed me he’d done 300kms over 8 hrs on saturday. I am not a road cyclist. I don’t know what to do with this information, or how to respond. Am i supposed to be impressed at a man’s athleticism whilst he stares at a spice rack for 8 hrs?

scotroutes

Buy him some Vitamin D tablets?

xora

Hack his machine and put more hills in 😀 Real hills!

martinhutch

22/23mph for eight hours straight?

Was he drafting behind the fridge or going it alone?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think you should show him yours..

molgrips
    Free Member

300kms in 8 hours is a bit far fetched, but he has no need to inflate his achievement. 8hrs on a turbo takes some serious commitment and that alone would impress me.

Milkie
    Free Member

Take him mountain biking and watch him struggle! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

tell him to take the it off the downhill setting..

nickhit3
    Free Member

i think it was 8 hrs. there was an 8 in there. either way i was zoning out when i saw him approaching me eagerly with it out (iphone)

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sounds like the start of a really dodgy adult movie
    “I have come to fix your zwift” (in a German accent)
    “I can go for 8 hours without stopping!!”
    “That lycra looks really tight, let me loosen it for you”
    Etc….

matt_outandabout

8hrs on a turbo takes some serious commitment means you need to get a life and that alone would impress me and some more friends.

FTFY

nickhit3
    Free Member

Zwift, that’s what it was. Never heard of it before. Sounds horrible.

dragon
    Free Member

What an idiot if he did do 8 hours, no point doing more than 1.5 and for most an hour is a decent max. Christ I hope he’s had kids already, ‘cos he won’t have any after regular 8 hour efforts on a turbo.

nickhit3
    Free Member

What an idiot if he did do 8 hours, no point doing more than 1.5 and for most an hour is a decent max. Christ I hope he’s had kids already, ‘cos he won’t have any after regular 8 hour efforts on a turbo.

he has two already. amusingly this year alone, he tells me he’s probably spent thousands on carbon wheels and an ‘etap system’ (i dont know what that last one is)

I once thought ppl like this were stereotype exaggerations for comic effect. He isn’t.

fasthaggis

He sounds like a fun guy,is he training for a really hard sportive ?

nickhit3
    Free Member

He sounds like a fun guy,is he training for a really hard sportive ?

i don’t know. should i ask him? i don’t want to lead him on or seem interested. He might become exited again. I don’t want that. Not after last time.

fasthaggis

i don’t want to lead him on or seem interested

Oh go on,it’s what he wants more than anything 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I know someone who did 7,000 miles on a turbo over a winter – he lives where it’s snowy so road riding is not really on the cards.

He’s an absolutely lovely bloke and very well liked. So let’s not judge the OP’s colleague!

He was wasting his time though, all that effort at low intensity. However, a certain amount of low intensity is useful so the OP might not have wasted his time depending on what he’s training for and where he started.

jekkyl

ask him when he’s going to out in the real world and do some proper cycling. Is he competitive? Show him your strava with the elevation profile then ask to see the elevation profile for his rides.

mrblobby
    Free Member

no point doing more than 1.5 and for most an hour is a decent max.

So no benefit in riding for more than 90 mins? 😕

Anyway, I feel sorry for his wife and kids.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

He sounds like the sort of person you need to politely point out to what you’ve actually stopped cycling due to an injury and reminders about the loss of the sport you loved is too painful to bare.

TiRed

Tell him it generally helps to connect the resistance to the back wheel 😉 . Eight hours on a static bike is impressive, but a bit mind destroying.

300kms in 8 hours is a bit far fetched

I managed 285. On the road.

jkomo

Even 20 Muns in a bike in the gym makes me want to kill myself.
    (Not really kill myself)

molgrips
    Free Member

I managed 285. On the road.

That’s quick, not many people can do that.

Why is everyone queueing up to put this guy down? You don’t even know him.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Its what we do man.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Because there is ‘that guy’ in every office who has done everything there is bigger and better and faster than everyone else. And weirdly they’re usually the type who are moronic enough to spend 8 hours on a turbo trainer.

mudshark
    Free Member

Bloke in our club isn’t allowed out much so mostly rides on his turbo. When he does come out, once a month at most, he rides with our A group which I struggle with.

He may be very fit!

nickhit3
    Free Member

some are taking this very seriously. What’s the world coming to when a guy can’t make a post alluding to predatory static trainer/sexual abuse from a MAMIL in the workplace?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Call him a **** ****.

Obviously.

maccruiskeen

So let’s not judge the OP’s colleague!

No,no. Lets. I bet his kitchen smells of sweat and warm tyres.

spekkie
    Free Member

Turbo Training – whilst generally soul destroying – can actually be great fun with loud enough music 🙂

TiRed

That’s quick, not many people can do that.

Well actually I went a bit further over the following 4 hours, bit anyone spending 8 hours on a bike deserves my respect. Even indoors. If it’s Zwift. then I suspect the watts setting on the bike is a little off, but Chapeau.

My office mates get to hear of my modest cycling achievements all too frequently – and inspect the race bikes I keep inside. I spare them the skinsuit blushes (although they did pay for some of it as a birthday present!)

slowoldman

Did he cook dinner whilst doing it?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Did he cook dinner whilst doing it?

haha. i dont know. i can only imagine the result.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bet his kitchen permanently smells of onions/bo

RobHilton
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member – Block User – Quote
    Bet his kitchen permanently smells of onions/bo

You are Craig David and I claim my 5 6 of 1 things

maxtorque

mrblobby

So no benefit in riding for more than 90 mins?

there is a big difference between going all out on a turbo for 90min (even for 45min!) and JRA for 3 hours!

Certainly for mountain biking, there is much more than leg strength required for long off road events, but basic fitness can be done in a much shorter time.

(i

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m about to go on Zwift, wife’s away with Work and I have 4 & 6 year old kids at home so out for a night ride is out out of the question. I’ll be able to get an hour or so of excersise instead of eating skittles, drinking beer and watching the tv.
    Sure, it’s not as good but it’s better than nothing!

sweaman2
    Free Member

Tell him John Stamstad managed 5 hours+ just staring at a blank wall in preparation for the Iditaroid?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Really, there have probably been 5 or 6 threads on here in the last couple of months, some really rather massive ones. It even crops um in discussions about mountain biking. Some mountain bikers use it. 😯
    It’s probably best described as the least bad option. In 30+ years i’ve never spent more than ~45 minutes on a turbo or rollers. First go on zwift i managed 75 minutes. And i’m probably the least fit i’ve been since my 12th birthday.

I’ll be using it a lot this winter, as riding hard outside isn’t going to happen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘colleague keeps showing me his’ is closed to new replies.