Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coil Vs Air rear shocks
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Specialized Enduro Evo and am not sure I am keen on the coil shock, mainly because I am between spring weights. I don’t want to spend shed loads trying different weight springs to see what is best.

Does anybody prefer their bike with an air spring over a coil spring?

I am beginning to seriously consider swapping my Evo shock and links for an air shock and links from a normal Enduro.

LoCo
    Free Member

Depends on the bike, current Remedy has a DSP Racing Dueler on.

gonzy
    Free Member

all my f/s bikes have always run coil units in the past. i only have the one f/s bike now and up until last month that was running a coil unit too but i have now stuck an air unit on. the reason for this was down to budget and the fact that there was a wider range of shocks available in the shock length/stroke that i required.
    having ridden it the loss of weight has made it a bit quicker and a bit more responsive…long term i’ll have to see but i’ve always liked the fact that once you’ve got the spring weight sorted on a coil unit its a case of fit and forget, but it seems the air unit has more versatility for fine tuning with different air pressures, but the downside is that long term i’ll have to keep checking that the air pressure remains constant…if you can get a good price on a top quality air unit such as a air dhx or CCDB than i’d say go for it…it should improve the bike and make ride it even better…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t swap shocks around very easily on this frame due to specializeds silly ideas about shock mounting.

I have the DHX RC2 at the moment so a pretty decent shock I am just having trouble getting the spring rate right.

gonzy
    Free Member

well why not look around for a custom tuned coil?…perfect excuse to get a ti spring!! 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would love to get a Ti coil but I’m not spending £100+ on one until I am comfortable with a spring rate.

gonzy
    Free Member

in case you’ve missed it, have you tried this?
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

mikewsmith
    Free Member

after trying a bit of both…. I’m happy with air, though as Loco says it depends on the bike.
    Going from a DHX5 to a good RP23 tuned for the bike was as good/better for much less weight in decent AM riding and alpine fun, mega and all that.

Having got a bike with the new CTD on and tried another I’m massively impressed with it, someone else was looking at my bike having just got something new and commented how the CTD was the best fox shock he had ridden. Based on some of the comments in here I reckon it’s very very frame dependent for that one though.

Unfortunately I can’t swap shocks around very easily on this frame due to specializeds silly ideas about shock mounting.

Hmm yes, one of the reasons a few frames are never on my list of bikes to consider (scott/Spec/Sunn etc)

Northwind

gonzy – Member

in case you’ve missed it, have you tried this?
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx

Does it work for Enduros? It’s a random number generator for all my bikes, never got within a mile of correct.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The pain with the spring calculator is that the stroke on mie shock is 2.125 which is bang in the middle of the two options TF give me at 2.00 and 2.25. These suggest 794lbs and 628 lbs I have no idea if this is a linear line when I should choose something in the middle or if its curved. Also why are they different weights for different makes of shock?

I currently have a 700lb spring with no pre load that feels too firm, Fox steel springs are £40 each so to find out if a 650 would be the right weight could mean a wasted £40.

honourablegeorge

Try the Mojo one (although it rarely tallies with TF)

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springcalculator.html

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you checked Pinkbike for secondhand springs? They usually go for £15 to £20 posted

I_Ache
    Free Member

I havn’t found a 650×2.35 shock second hand yet unfortunately and I have been looking since I got the frame. Its a shame I can’t borrow one to test before committing to spending the money. I know its only £40 but if you struggle to find the right weight then it soon adds up.

tomasis
    Free Member

not possible to send back in case it doesnt fit?

Northwind

Yeah, that’s quite a lot of spring for a short shock. I think I might have a 550 for a 2.35 somewhere if that’s any use? Not sure, definitely got a 500, might have sold the 550.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Op: yes.

My frame has a falling rate, which isn’t so hot. An air can corrects that and depending on how I set it up can go to rising rate – much better.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Northwind but I think I am going to have to lose 2.5 stone before I can use a 550!

patriotpro
    Free Member

I blame it on the white pudding n chips you had for your tea that time dude 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

Na its not that. Its years of Pork Scratching and Beer abuse. You wouldn’t believe that I used to be about 9 stone when I was 17 would you?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coil Vs Air rear shocks’ is closed to new replies.