Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • singlespeed chain tension q
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

What’s the correct way of adjusting chain length if you have say 17, 18 & 20t cogs. Would you set it with the 17t cog first?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Erm, thats not singlespeed, that’s three speed surely?

simondbarnes

If you change gears for riding in different places / conditions then you may as well have a geared bike.

Anyway, chain will need to be long enough to work with the 20 so I guess set it so wheel is as far forward as possible in the dropouts with the 20 and hope the dropouts are long enough when you run a 17?

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Are you expecting to shift between them, manually or otherwise? You using a tensioner or a single speed frame?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Sorry it’s a case of first time ss on the 29er so not sure what ratio I am going to run 😀 I ran 32:17 on my 26 so it’s for trial and error.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s some sort of gear inch calculator that will work it out for you. Have a look on sheldonbrowns site.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I know about all the gear inch stuff. I go for ow it feels rather than faffing with maths.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

32:19 would be as close to identical as you can get

oxym0r0n

Try 32:18 first – I used to run 32:17 on my 26, but tried 32:18 when I changed to 29 (with rigid front) and have not wanted a lower gear yet…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed chain tension q’ is closed to new replies.