Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Coen Bros films
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I watched a serious man last night and really enjoyed it. Raising Arizona was a classic and didn't realise it was directed by one half of the brothers. Any others I should look out for..?

MrNutt
    Free Member

The man who wasn't there, one of my all time faves

jimster
    Free Member

Oh brother where art tho(u)?

Fargo

SaxonRider

It depends on what you're after, really. Most people (read: 'I') love the Big Lebowski, but Miller's Crossing is excellent, as is Fargo. The latter is a personal favourite, and well worth it if you can handle the violence. I would argue that, unlike in a Tarantino or Mel Gibson film, the violence in Fargo is not gratuitous but actually makes the final scene more impressive.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

The Big Lebowski

rootes1

i quite liked Burn After Ready

not sure about all there other films but raising arizona and millers crossing are good films

binners

The Big Lebowski is one of the finest films ever made

sofaking
    Free Member

blood simple is another good one
    +1 millerS crossing, fargo, big L,oh brother

Brown
    Free Member

Let's not forget No Country for Old Men. Might be one of the finest films ever made.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"You gonna get f*cked on Wednesday baby, WOOOO-HOOOO!!!!" :mrgreen:

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Watched No Country for Old Men last year. Didn't even know it was a Coen brothers film. Class.

Drac

Make some good films but make some utter trash too, Big Lebowski being one and No Country for Old Men being a close call.

The Hudsuker Proxy is pretty good.

woody2000

Hudsucker Proxy & T B L FTW

sofaking
    Free Member

"Might be one of the finest films ever made"
    its good but wouldnt go that far

glenp
    Free Member

Big Lebowski – trash? WHAT?

I read a review of a Coen Brothers film once which started with "In an ideal world, all films would be directed by the Coen Brothers." That's about right.

Blood Simple is a fantastic first film. Oh Brother, Fargo, Big Lebowski – all brilliant and rewarding to watch time and time again.

Gilles

What? Did I see Mel Gibsson next to the Coen Brothers name? Better leave this place now.

verses

It's not a Cohen Brother film, but I re-watched Bubba Ho-tep recently and was struck by how much of a Cohen's feel it has about it. Possibly a cross between Cohen brothers and Sam Raimi.

crazy-legs

See I never like The Big Lebowski but their latest film, Burn After Reading was very good. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Let's not forget No Country for Old Men. Might be one of the finest films ever made.

Might be the most over-hyped film ever made. 🙂

I like Fargo, O Brother…, Burn After Reading, Big Lebowski, and a few others I can't remember right now.

Brown
    Free Member

Might be the most over-hyped film ever made

its good but wouldnt go that far

Pah. Philistines.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

at OP, all of them. 🙂

Raindog
    Free Member

singletrackhor – Member

at OP, all of them.

With the possible exception of "The Ladykillers"

singletrackhor
    Free Member

and intolearble cruelty.

those 2 are still considerably better than most filmmakers will evr manage.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

A serious man was hands down the worst film I have ever had the misfortune to have inflicted on me.

I'm sure this is because its 'too high brow' for me or I 'just dont understand it' but what i do know is that I would rather chew my own arm off than go see that utter shite again.

I did like No Country for Old Men though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hudsucker Proxy is great, so is Man Who Wasn't There.

I really like Intolerable Cruelty too, although most critics seemed to think they'd sold out for making a straight comedy.

Fargo's good, but not as good as people say.

grievoustim
    Free Member

verses – Member
    It's not a Cohen Brother film, but I re-watched Bubba Ho-tep recently and was struck by how much of a Cohen's feel it has about it. Possibly a cross between Cohen brothers and Sam Raimi.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Sam raimi worked on the early Coen's films as cinematographer I believe,

utangvegas

NEVER WATCH A SERIOUS MAN EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!

grievoustim
    Free Member

Oh and Drac- you are banned from films now, it's for the best 😉

billybob
    Free Member

Dont forget Barton Fink

Drac

Oh and Drac- you are banned from films now, it's for the best

If being banned for not being spoon fed by Oscar hype then that's a good thing. If it's for not being cool enough to find the TBL even slightly entertaining I'll live with that too.

nicko74

Barton Fink was excellent. Slow, not much happening, bimbling along, not much happening OH MY GOD WTF IS GOING ON THIS IS MENTAL!!! 🙂

I really liked the man who wasn't there, but realise it may not be to everybody's taste. And the Big Lebowski is one of the greatest student/ slacker films IMHO.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Gotta love the brothers.
    Fargo is my fave of theirs – Blood Simple's excellent, and I liked The Man Who Wasn't There. You just don't see enough movies about barbers!

IdleJon

verses – Member

No, I'm sorry, Bubba Ho-tep was truly dreadful.

I actually watched it because someone on here had mentioned how good it was.

Maybe I watched the wrong film.

Maybe I just didn't get it. (I didn't, big time.)

It wasn't funny – the only joke is that Elvis is in an old peoples home and is fighting a mummy. HA HA. That joke doesn't go far.

It wasn't scary.

It wasn't well made in terms of effects, dialogue, characterisation, well anything actually.

It was a waste of 90 minutes of my time. I watched all the way through exepecting something to change my mind – a fantastic witticism, a great ending, etc, but no, nothing.

roadiesean
    Free Member

IMHO Fargo is the best film I have ever seen. What I love most about the Coen’s films is that you never know what you’re going to get. Fargo and Burn After Reading is slightly offbeat humour with an edge, as is Oh Brother, but thats more “obvious” humour as is The Big Lebowski. And then you get No Country for Old Men which is, in short, utterly horrifying and BRILLIANT, and then True Grit, more commercial great film making.

Without the Coens and Tarantino, the world would be full of crap films not worth watching.

But The Ladykillers, what the hell is all that about ?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I quite liked The Ladykillers.

😳

FuzzyWuzzy

A Serious Man went right over my head, I just thought it was utter shite when watching it, reading some of the background on IMDB I can see it’s actually quite clever, however as a viewing experience I still think it’s shite.

Other than that I’m a big fan of Cohen brothers stuff.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s funny when you read a thread without looking at the date on it, mentally preparing to write your own comment.

Then you see that you’ve already said exactly what you were going to say, because it was written a year ago.

Did I say funny? Perhaps I should have said pathetic.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I was going to say exactly what you said a year ago Chakaping.

Weird.

😀

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

their current cover of TRUE GRIT is on at the cinema and is very good indeedio

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I never write anything of my own. I just search through previous threads and borrow someone else’s post. Should I ref’ them back to the OP?*

*gingersquirrel Oct 2008

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Coen Bros films’ is closed to new replies.