Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Coed y Brenin and Surrounding Area – February for a long weekend
  • gribble
    Free Member

I am up in North Wales for a ‘romantic’ (mini) break with my wife. The bikes will happen to be coming along as well. We will be staying near Betws-y-Coed. I am only there for a max of 3 nights/4 days – we want to have some chilled time as well, so one day will be no riding. Any recommendations for the off day also much appreciated – I thought a walk up Snowdon might be a bit sketchy in February. Anglesey ideas?

Out of Coed-y-Brenin, (which I am very keen to try), and the surrounding Penmacho and Marin trails, which would be the top of the list if you could only do 3 rides total? Are the longer Coed-y-Brenin rides a bit more suited to summer all day rides (like Skyline for instance)? I am sure there is more stuff locally which my lack of research has missed, but main priorities (apart from a good way marked trail) is easy driving and half decent cafe.

We are reasonably fit, competent on reds but look like a sack of potatoes on a black.

crikey
    Free Member

Sun cream and swimming cossies, bucket and spade, carrots for the donkeys.

Bish bosh.

…you know how to treat a lady!

Blackhound

You can’t go wrong really. One at each would be nice. The Marin is the easiest imo and you can ride from ByC. Penmachno is excellent and again can be ridden from ByC or you can drive there if preferred.
    CyB has a number of options but can’t remember the route names now. Doubt you will struggle on any of them, more about how far you want to ride. Just go faster / slower depending on your confidence.

gribble
    Free Member

crikey – have got a copy of Dirty Dancing soundtrack on cd for the road trip – I thought that would do the trick for the romance bit?

Blackhound – many thanks, will try and find out how close we are staying to the village an start of the trail.

KZP894
    Free Member

CyB has an excellent selection of rides, check out the website. The cafe is very good. I have ridden all the trails with my 10 year old son so I’m sure you will be fine. I would warm up with the Minortaur, just because it’s good fun have a coffee and then take some time and do the Dragons Back. The Dragons Back takes you further away from the train centre with more open views (if weather permits). Enjoy

coatesy
    Free Member

Penmachno’s great, but usually awash so make it the last ride if you do it, the rest of the weekend won’t be as much fun with waterlogged boots(voice of experience speaking).

kudos100
    Free Member

I rode Tarw, Mbr, bits of Dragons Back and some other random bits I can’t remember the name of. Mbr and Dragons back are great. Tarw was awesome, but had a long fire road decent (If I remember correctly) which was a bit dull.

I’d definitely have a crack at mbr, not that technical for a black and great fun 🙂

stumpy01

I’d go for the MBR at CyB and Penmachno definitely. I wasn’t that impressed by the Marin, but lots of people really like it.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve been to CYB, Penmachno & the Marin trail.

I liked them all, CYB has the most variety & facilities – the only trail I would avoid is the Tarw (it has a few good sections, but too much fire road including a long fire road downhill near the end). If it were me I’d do the beast or dragons back.

Marin is quite an old trail & also features a reasonable amount of fire road, some nice sections though. The Penmachno trailhead is a little difficult to find, but also has some good trails.

A walk up Snowdon will depend very much on the weather. You never know you might be lucky – if so the easiest path is the Llanberis path, but if it were me I’d park up near the Youth Hostel & take the miners track or the pig track.

If you go to Anglesey, then I’d head for a wander around Beaumaris. For some good food & beer head to the Gazelle Hotel (views over the Menai Straits) which is just outside Menai Bridge.

spacehopper

if you dont mind me asking.. where are you staying gribble? and does the place have somewhere to store bikes? 😀

as im thinking of a mini holiday to wales sometime later this year and we *might* take the bikes with us, but would need somewhere to store them whilst we do other stuff..

Cheers for any info.. 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Try Heulwenguesthouse if you want somewhere quiet to stay, not far from CYB/A470, but feels miles from anywhere. Garage to store the bikes,lovely people,good food, satellite TV(sod all on terrestrial up there, so good when you get back from the pub)and around £30 per night.Ty-n-Groes pub not bad too, has bike storage, but noisy(rooms above pub, and on a sharp bend on the A470 so has cars going up and down the gears outside at all hours)and has olde worlde charm(bit dilapidated?).

Hooter
    Free Member

If you get bored with trail centres, you could try the Pont Scethin route very close to Coed-y-Brenin. Completely different kind of riding on open hills. Prob only worth doing in Feb if the weather is looking very good tho.

chakaping
    Free Member

Do the Beast at CyB unless either of you are hopelessly out of shape. The others are not long enough to feel like a proper ride.

Wrap up warm/dry at Penmachno in Feb, gets cold and blowy in places and there’s lots of surface water usually.

gribble
    Free Member

all, thanks for the tips and recommendations ride wise.

Spacehopper, it is a landmark trust house we are renting. If you google them you can see properties in the area. They are not cheap and some can be pretty basic, but if you want to get away from it all and are happy to stay in a place that is different from the norm, they are good.

There are cottages locally that are better value, definitely worth looking around.

nwilko
    Free Member

if you need accomodation with secure bike storage and bike wash the campsite at Torrent Walk, is great. electric hookup £9pppn..hardstanding or grass picthes.
    heated loos / shower block / laundry room etc..
    they also have B&B accomodation (not used this though)
    great place, just before little chef on right as you drop off the hills into Dolgellau..
    towns a 30min walk away.
    petrol station 10min walk away at end of road next to little chef.
    open all year round.
    use it the other w/e, had the place to myself.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yes, don’t be put off by the name “Beast” at CyB. There’s a couple of big climbs, but if you’re having a full day just take it easy. The Tarw is one of the original trails (first in the UK?) and does have a fair bit of forestry road. I think of it as an alternative if I have excess energy and I’ve done the others.

Penmachno IMV is the best ride of the lot, particularly if you do both loops (making it about 30km in total). There isn’t a cafe, but there’s a great biker friendly cafe just down the road that does excellent food. Betws is just around the corner down the road. The Marin does have a lot of forestry road, but provides awesome views of Siabod. With a little bit of planning too there are lots of options to deviate off (some routes here).

As to the day off – lots of options: Anglesey is OK, and a walk up to the point on Newborough beach is worth a look (particularly if the weather is howling); if you don’t fancy Snowdon, a walk up the slate mines on the other side of Llanberis is rewarding and you can drop down into the miners hospital (worth a look around); or, there are a number of spa type places, in case of weary limbs? Lots of options.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Coed y Brenin and Surrounding Area – February for a long weekend’ is closed to new replies.