• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Coaching with Jedi at UKBike Skills
  • phil40
    Free Member

Hi,

Just wanted to post up about my experience with Tony ‘jedi’ at UK Bike Skills this week.

Firstly about me as a mtb rider, I am a bit crap! So far this year I have managed to come last in the ‘fun’ category at a Sourthern XC mtb race, and did the Bristol Bike fest solo 6hr, also needing to walk at least once each lap! I could not ride berms (braking all the way) and jumps were something everyone else could do, I did try a drop off at QECP last week and ended up lying on the ground watching my bike cartwheel down the hill!

I had heard about Tony on this forum, and despite secretly thinking I was unteachable, I persuaded my wife to get me a days 1:2:1 with Tony as an early Christmas present!

He is a GENIUS! Within 20 minutes I was getting air and not feeling out of control at all! He got me clearing a 6ft gap jump confidently and in control, and 12ft tabletops! After about 2hrs I was pumping the trail and then jumping off lips just for fun! He showed me how to ride berms, and even my wife could see that I was so much smoother riding (she actually said I looked like a mtb rider for once not a panicked puppy!)

All day I felt challenged, but never pressured and he made everything seem so simple! If something didn’t work, I was given the tools to understand why and correct it! It is also fantastic to see your coach getting as excited as you when something works and you do well! I have been a teacher for 17yrs and without doubt Tony is one of the best teachers I have ever met!

My wife and two children came along (6yrs and 2yrs), at first I was worried that Tony would think that they were getting in the way, but he was welcoming and lovely to all of them! My son ended up riding some of the features and started getting air (all I did was explain one of the things Jedi told me, and off he went and applied it!).

If this sounds like a gushing review, that is because it is! Very often when something is hyped you end up disappointed, with Tony, the hype is all true! He is a top bloke and an amazing teacher! I can’t wait to get out again tomorrow and apply the simple skill set he taught me!

Cheers Tony! The coffee is amazing by the way!

alexh
    Free Member

That’s nice to hear. I think he is superb.

I’d not thought about taking the family along, good shout (although knowing my lot they would take over the sessio as they are bike mad)

Just 4 questions….. That has changed the mental side of my riding no end.

spacemonkey

Excellent write up fella. Sounds like a whole new world of riding is on the cards for you.

A session with Jedi has been on my todo list for bloomin ages. I really need to get my arse in gear.

phil40
    Free Member

4 questions and 3 skills! Just epic!

Go, go and GO!! Get your arris in gear it will be worth it 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

We were heading up to my parents for a couple of days and UK Bike skills was on the way, if Tony wasn’t ok they would have disappeared off and found a cake shop somewhere, or if the weather had been rough. Instead My wife got to watch me get better (she did claim to be interested, or maybe she just loves me alot) and my children got to play in a field on a lovely sunny day!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+1 for Tony

Still applying the skills learnt, best bit is being able to analyse why I’m lying in the bushes.

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

This guy is a legend!

alexh
    Free Member

best bit for me is that I’m in the bushes/down the slope/clinging onto a tree/crippled on the floor a lot less.

granny_ring

Well done OP, very quick progress!

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

Best money you can spend on your biking

chiefgrooveguru

Tony has a gift for coaching. My riding has been so much smoother and more controlled since my visit in spring, especially drops, jumps, steeps and berms. Love Hertshore, the place has a special vibe!

nealglover
    Free Member

Have been meaning to do this for ages!

This thread may have bumped me into action.

Cheers !

simon_g

I went on Monday. Agree with everything else, it was brilliant.

slackalice
    Free Member

Well, that’s just inspired to make my booking in the new year 😀

chewy83
    Free Member

+1 totally agree. Tony is a top bloke and has improved my riding and confidence no end. He found something I didn’t know was there and had me figured within minutes, he knew all the buttons to push with me. If you haven’t been to see him get on it, best money I have spent on MTB.

slackalice
    Free Member

Excellent! Booked and paid for. Thank you very much OP and contributors for the inspiration 8)

mcnultycop

Top guy. Amazing tutor.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep agreed, Tony lives up to and surpasses all the hype you read on here. I still haven’t had a bad crash since I had my session in 2010 (has it really been that long?)! And I’m still progressing and pushing myself to ride new and bigger stuff 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Rob likes this 🙂

agent007
    Free Member

Who is this Jedi and how should we contact him?

phil40
    Free Member

When you need him but don’t want him he will be there, when you want him but no longer need him he will move on…….. I think I have watched mary poppins a few too many times with my children 🙂

Lester
    Free Member

via his website
    UK Bike Skills

FRONT PAGE

+ 1 for all said above,

badnewz
    Free Member

Is it true that Jedi has neither confirmed nor denied whether he is messiah?

I follow him on twitter and he does seem to have cracked this life business, top man.

willard

This is good news, I’m booked in for Monday and, quite frankly, can’t wait!

I just hope the weather clears a bit.

alexh
    Free Member

If I had the choice of riding with anyone, I’d pick Tony because:

I’d be guaranteed to learn something about my riding, in a friendly and non condescending way

I’d be guaranteed to have a laugh

I’d probably surprise myself and scare myself in equal measure

I’d know there is still plenty of work to do on my riding

There would be plenty of high 5’s

There would be a wheel size debate which would dismiss anything north of 26″ as a gimmick.

soobalias
    Free Member

SOOBAlias said in March 2010
    I dont need to wish jedi good luck with UK Bike Skills – shit like this sells itself.

billybadger
    Free Member

Great review – and yet another +1 for Jedi’s amazing courses.
    Been riding for 20 years but I noticeably improved after a session with him, he had me jumping off stuff I wouldn’t have thought possible.
    Nice guy, great session. Believe the hype.

jedi

It’s a privilege to do what you love for a living. Thanks and I’m humbled

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Coaching with Jedi at UKBike Skills’ is closed to new replies.