Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Clockwork 29er 1×9 set up questions
  • clockworktom84
    Free Member

Hey people I’m a bit of a newbie to all this build your own so please bare with me
    So far I’ve bought
    2013 clockwork 29r frame
    2016 Rockshox 30 gold (120s)
    Xt m8000 crank 165mm
    Xt m772 derailliar
    So next Id like to get a compatible 9 speed shifter,,,,,and chainring ? But which one, I mainly ride rough jumpy tight trails but there is some distance getting to the locations ,,I’ve been told 28 or a 30 what do you guys think

qwerty
    Free Member

I’d say your cassette range will dictate your front chainring size. Assuming your 9 speed is a 32t you probably want to go with the 28t.

cp

If you’re starting from scratch on the build for a 1x why are you going 9 speed? If you go 10 speed then you’ll be able to take advantage of clutch rear mechs, wider range cassettes, and the kit (new and second hand) is about the same cost as 9 speed.

As for chainring sizes, it all depends on your leg strength and terrain. I’d get a couple of sizes of cheap superstar Io chainrings (as good as any I’ve used) and experiment.

clockworktom84
    Free Member

When I ordered the rear mech I clicked the wrong one and didn’t realise till recently it’s been sitting in a box for months so can’t send it back now

Can I use a 10 speed a cassette with a 9 speed mech till I get another

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Chalk the 9 speed mech down to experience, put it on ebay and buy a 10 speed. Your investment in a 9speed shifter and cassette far outweigh the cost of a rear mech.

clockworktom84
    Free Member

i ordered a 9speed Deore 590 shifter off eBay last night before I read this I only paid £10 so I’m sticking with 9 speed set up For now ..cheers for your help on the chain ring guys

jam-bo

The problem with sticking with 9-spd it’s you can’t run a clutch mech, which I would say is essential to getting a 1x drivetrain to run properly. That and a thick-thin chainring. Otherwise you will be plagued with the chain dropping.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ensure your chainring is narrow wide then.

clockworktom84
    Free Member

Yea narrow wide ..guide and tensioner are on the list however I did just find the receipt from halfords for the one I’ve got its not even been opened so I’m going to try my luck and upgrade to xt m8000 if they will let me and as for eBay they can’t despatch on a Sunday so I’m also going to cancel that if I’m successful at halfords ,, Ill keep you guys informed

clockworktom84
    Free Member

Wow they were really helpful they didn’t have the xt m8000 in store which didn’t surprise me but I’ve paid the £18 difference and she will be with me by Thursday ..
    So does the answer on 28t chainring still stand

29r 1×11 set up so what chainring

Yak

32t probably. Which cassette?

control67
    Free Member

If you have the m8000 crank then why not the same chainring, it’s designed to work with the rest of the kit and you won’t have to worry about matching the odd BCD that m8000 cranks use

clockworktom84
    Free Member

Planning on 11/40 xt8000 although could be an 11/42 cassette depending what advice I get I asked about which chainring cuz there’s more than one option I’ve got 165 crank but no chainring yet I think I will match up the whole set to xt m8000 but there is a few options regarding cassette ratio and chainring .. That’s why I’m here

control67
    Free Member

I’m using a 36t with 11-42 and it works for me on a 650b, that said I am happier pumping a higher gear than spinning a low gear so YMMV

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Clockwork 29er 1×9 set up questions’ is closed to new replies.