Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,247 total)
  • Euro 2016 begins!
  • Garry_Lager

I don’t think he deserves criticism at this stage, as we’ve been a bit unlucky not to win all our games and of course hindsight is a wonderful thing! He will have learned a few things too which will help him make the right decisions in the next game.(hopefully)

That’s the spirit. Roy to evolve and embrace change.

I agree that it’s pointless to criticise at this stage, though. Roy is Roy and his limitations as a tournament coach are clear and obvious to all. It’s not like Capello or someone where there was expectation that he might know what he was doing.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Rockape63 – Member
    I don’t think he deserves criticism at this stage, as we’ve been a bit unlucky not to win all our games and of course hindsight is a wonderful thing! He will have learned a few things too which will help him make the right decisions in the next game.(hopefully)

but for a last gasp goal against wales, youse would be out, atleast watching tonight keeking your drawers!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

don’t think he deserves criticism at this stage

I agree. It should never have got to this stage. Roy should have been sacked after the WC.

Rockape63
    Free Member

but for a last gasp goal against wales, youse would be out, atleast watching tonight keeking your drawers!

good point….but again, I don’t think you can blame Woy for Joe Hart watching the big screen instead of the ball.

jambalaya
    Free Member

youse would be out

Of course the best person to judge such a thing would be a Scot 🙂

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Apart from the last game I quite enjoyed the first two. It was an improvement over the world cup but that isn’t too hard.
    I actually think the squad is quite promising bar the deadwood of henderson, wislhire, milner. Bring the ox back find a scholes / gerrard in the middle of the park and it’ll be perfect.

jambalaya
    Free Member

unlucky not to win all our games

Have we been watching the same matches ? Wales spank Russia 3-0 and we just about managed one goal. Slovakia we didn’t look like scoring. To be honest Wales deserved a draw against us too.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I do think we should have taken Andy Carroll though….the bloke is the best header of the ball I’ve ever seen. He (Roy) bottled that decision taking both Vardy and Cane, when one of them would have done okay.

Carroll offers something, when all other options have failed!

Rockape63
    Free Member

To be honest Wales deserved a draw against us too.

Utter Bollocks…they hardly got into our half! All three teams have packed their defences against us which is why we’ve struggled. Russia played an open game against Wales allowing them space to run into.

It will all change against a team who actually try and win the game! 😕

dragon
    Free Member

Wales earn’t the right to sit back by coming into the game with 2 points more than England and then taking the early lead. Wales didn’t need to force the game. Then against Russia Bale had already hit the target in 2 minutes and they were 1-0 up after 11 mins. Maybe England could learn from that and start a lot faster before teams settle.

It will all change against a team who actually try and win the game!

Will it? Italy and Croatia both have won games with strong defensive performances and then taking the few chances presented, others are likely to do the same. In fact it is exactly how Italy beat England in the World Cup group.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Will it?

Well we hope it will, but as per my ? face….we all have a lot of experience of Englands golden generation failing, so will it be any different this time! 🙁

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rockape I didn’t say Wales deserved to win and being camped in our half is worth preceisely zero.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/22/cristiano-ronaldo-throws-television-reporters-microphone-into-lake

🙂 To be fair I think there are many sports “journalists” who deserve to the thrown in the lake still attached to their phones

gonzy
    Free Member

Well, we created more than enough chances and realistically that is all you can do …and hope some of them go in! There is also the need to blood squad players in the group stages to ensure when they are needed later (hopefully) in the comp, so they come on with a level of confidence.

but do you not find it a bit alarming that we had 60% possession and had some 30 attempts on goal with a dozen corners and still couldn’t score…i can only remember the slovakian keeper only making a handful of saves and skrtel making one goal bound clearance

you also have to remember that one of the reasons why england looked good and dominant against slovakia was because the slovaks were happy to sit back and defend for 90 minutes
    the likes of spain, germany and france wont be give england the time and space they had on monday so chances will be fewer…if they cant get a goal out of 30 chances…how will they manage to get a goal out of even less?
    i know you say its not entirely woys fault as the players are the ones on the pitch who are carrying out his instructions and tactics…and therein lies the problem…his tactics arent getting the best out of the players

Rockape63
    Free Member

you also have to remember that one of the reasons why england looked good and dominant against slovakia was because the slovaks were happy to sit back and defend for 90 minutes
    the likes of spain, germany and france wont be give england the time and space they had on monday so chances will be fewer…if they cant get a goal out of 30 chances…how will they manage to get a goal out of even less?
    i know you say its not entirely woys fault as the players are the ones on the pitch who are carrying out his instructions and tactics…and therein lies the problem…his tactics arent getting the best out of the players

Look, lets face it…we are England! You could put any Manager in charge and we’d bog it up. All I’m saying is Woy is doing just about as well as could be hoped for at this stage. The only Manager who EVER got any praise in my life time was Bobby Robson, who I was backing from the start. After ONE game in the 1990 WC, the headline on the back page next day was ‘Bring em home now!’

And we had drawn 1-1.

Edit: and yes I do find it worrying that Rooney took about 20 corners and we never got close…hence my Carroll comment. Why is every corner the f’kin same? Whatever happened to the front post corner?

binners

OOPS! Ronnie is going to go mental!!! He was already getting a bit hissy with Nani 😆

bongohoohaa – as if you need to ask, Mrs Binners has bet on Hungary and Iceland to win. So so have I 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look, lets face it…we are England! You could put any Manager in charge and we’d bog it up. All I’m saying is Woy is doing just about as well as could be hoped for at this stage. The only Manager who EVER got any praise in my life time was Bobby Robson, who I was backing from the start. After ONE game in the 1990 WC, the headline on the back page next day was ‘Bring em home now!’

I’d have to disagree tbh, England have the players that are capable of being a top team, but the one thing you haven’t produced in god knows how long is a great manager.

Who was the last English manager to win the Premiership again? Oh, that’s right, none. The mighty Howard Wilkinson won the old first division in 92.

That’s abysmal.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have to say the Portuguese strip is very Morvelo-esque!.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not quite the Vardy flick now was it

Rockape63
    Free Member

Four goals in one game and Hungary have two, Ronnie finally comes good with a clever flick.

binners

Not quite 😉

This doesn’t look like finishing with the score at this. Cracking game!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Amazing scenes

binners

Football! Bloody hell!! 😯

martinhutch

Loving it!

Even Binners is surprised at his top predicting ability…

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    youse would be out
    Of course the best person to judge such a thing would be a Scot

one with no national alegencies, yip! 😉

mefty
    Free Member

Binners you shouldn’t be posting while playing in goal

PrinceJohn

So who didn’t want to place a bet on Rinaldo to score a brace?

martinhutch

Lovely header.

binners

I’ve got me tracky bottoms mucky now!

Ooooooooo hit the post!!!! This is the best match so far, by miles!!!!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Hits the post! 🙁

martinhutch

Even we might score against this lot.

OK, probably not.

PrinceJohn

& thanks to Iceland conceding a goal – we’re now playing Portugal.

Wouldn’t want to put money on it tho the way this game is going.

seosamh77
    Free Member

You’d fancy england against portugal tbh.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If Hungary could pop in another goal, that would be just delightful.

Just got in and seen the results….the one game I miss, and it’s a goal-fest.

…but score that goal please.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ICELAND !!!!!!!!!!!! OMZGGGGGZZZZ ❗

PrinceJohn

Fanstastic Iceland!!!!!!!

nickjb
    Free Member

You’d fancy england against portugal tbh.

rather play iceland, although it’s another park-the-bus team and that hasn’t gone well 8)

joat

You couldn’t make it up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m nearly in tears ! Yes island!

Rockape63
    Free Member

It was like….oh blimey we’ve got Portugal! Oh hang on!! 😯

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Iceland. You bunch of ****s!

*runs out the bookies crying*

As for Hungary. Gah!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,247 total)

The topic ‘Euro 2016 begins!’ is closed to new replies.