Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • clipless newbe
  • ben10
    Free Member

Hi all I looking at going clipless on my Road bike looking for advice on a cheap starter set shoes and pedals With as much flot as poss thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not Road pedals and shoes.

I use crank brothers candy on my road bike, loads of float, super easy to clip (forwards, backwards or push down) and the cleats/shoes are much better to walk in.

Superficial
    Free Member

Is there a particular reason that more float is desirable? Fair enough if there is, but you might find that you don’t need / want as much float on road pedals compared to MTB. Unless you have particular knee problems etc. Don’t confused ‘float’ with ‘easy to unclip’. I’d agree with the above though – if you really do want float then you’re probably better off with MTB SPDs.

I can’t really look past Shimano SPDs for MTB and SPD-SL for road. The PD-R540 can be had for £20 and they’re all you need.

gonzy
    Free Member

you can buy shimano M520 spd pedals for £17 from CRC or the M540 form the same place for £30.

as for shoes the shimano shoes are good, i’ve never used the road shoes but from experience the mtb shoes are pretty good and are ok to walk in as the tread hides the cleat. you still get a good amount of float form the pedals even while wearing an mtb spd shoe.
    specialized shoes are good as well with a wider fit than shimano shoes but try before you buy.
    i use the shimano xc30 shoes and they are very good for the money (around £50-60) you might also want to look at the shoes on offer at Decathlon (b’twin brand) as they are supposed to be pretty good

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Superficial where can you get 540’s for £20?

I need some new ones!

akira

Merlin doing them for £22.

aether531
    Free Member

+1 on pd540. Really durable, decent bearings, cheap. Can’t go wrong with them.

nickc

Probably massively subjective, but I found that mtb clips were pretty uncomfy, the broader platform of road clips were much better.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘clipless newbe’ is closed to new replies.