Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • clio 182 ….. any good?
  • renton
    Free Member

A good friend of mine has picked up a clio 182 cheap at the auctions and i have to say its quite a nice little motor.

he is going to do a bit of work on it(service,cambelt,mot etc) and has offered me first refusal when he sells it in a couple of months.

does anyone have any experiience on running/owning one?

cheers

steve

Stuey01
    Free Member

My mate had a 172 cup, a predecessor to the 182. It was an absolute scream.

infernocup

Fantastic little car. Quick, handles well, I average about 38mpg day to day. could get mid 40’s if I could resist the urge to put my foot down all the time! With wheels off you can even squeeze two bikes and kit in. had mine for three years and really don’t know what I’d replace it with.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

As above, absolute go kart. Will push most quicker cars vxrs, leons etc on the twisty stuff. Had the one I drove accidentally off the ground for a wee second 😯

Kieran

Missus currently has one, very quick and handles brilliantly, however it is a small French hot hatch so the quality is a problem, its cost her over £2.5k in 18 months and is now struggling to engage 1st and 2nd gears – a sign that the gearbox is on its way out!

wrightyson – Member

As above, absolute go kart. Will push most quicker cars vxrs, leons etc on the twisty stuff. Had the one I drove accidentally off the ground for a wee second

F*** me wrighty – I used to have my 1.3 Fiesta Supersport off the ground for more than a wee second on many occassions 20 odd years ago – not accidentally either. Best one was heading to Chesterfield from Matlock by the pub on the brow (Three Horseshoes????)by Spitewinter Stables at 90mph – apart from the time I nearly died 😉

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’ve got a 172, a few friends have had 182s – we all think they’re great.
    Build quality isn’t brill, there are a few things that can go wrong – clutches & cambelt dephaser pulley being the main ones. Cambelts are a big job to change & do right.
    The stereo is cack, if that bothers you!
    Cliosport.net is an excellent owner’s club, equivalent of STW.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Into a corner artist!!! 😯 ! Top of west end dropping down into wirksworth, my sister had had it 3 days, she was not impressed! Skippy little bastards!

LHS
    Free Member

As above, quick and fun to drive but build quality is pretty dire. Driving position is one of the worst i’ve experienced and it has the steering wheel from a bus.

davidrussell
    Free Member

Former 182 owner here.

Pros:
    will give most other cars on the road a pasting, and give all but the most boost-happy japanese cars a good go. Generally great fun to drive.

handles well in all conditions and can cope with snow (i had michelin PE2’s and rated them very highly)

reasonably economical if you drive like miss daisy and VED isn’t outrageous.

cons:

dont bother if you like a solidly built cabin, rattles will drive you bananas

not cheap to eke out big hp gains (but tbh if you want that then look elsewhere anyway)

insurance is rising on them as they are now cheap enough to be owned by people who like rearranging roadside furniture

older examples can cost lots of money to repair – dephaser mentioned ^ is coming in at a grands worth of work to fix.

I sold my 182 earlier this year and got a 200 and dont regret it, but as a fun car the 182 is a good option. If you’re after pace then buy one and strip all the weight out of it, its the easiest way to free up bhp on them.

dave

zokes
    Free Member

cambelt dephaser pulley

Sounds like something from the Starship Enterprise….

staralfur
    Free Member

Currently driving one of these myself. As already mentioned, build quality is grim, it rattles like a bastard so expect to keep the wireless turned up loud all the time. However, on the right road, at the right time, they are mega fun and on the run up to 60mph will hold it’s own against most.

Bucko

You will find everything you need to know on cliosport.net

I owned a 172 for over 3 years and that website was very helpful as well as a great social site.

Not much i can say that hasn’t already been said but a standard 182 is quite undesireable, everyone wants the 182 with cup pack (factory upgraded suspension and wheels)

Cam belt is done every 72k or 5 years and as already said by others will cost a lot of money, around £1000 at a main dealers but slightly cheaper at a decent garage if you can find one.

There is no doubt that they are quick but be warned that they are NOT a Civic type R, Astra VXR, Leon Cupra slayer as some would have you believe.

Summary;

Rattley

Cheap

Quick (but not that quick)

Economical

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Astra VXR

I would have thought it would be around twisty stuff given that the steering is almost entirely ineffectual in a VXR at anything above the speed of Continental Drift.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As I said above it will easily cope with the standard vxrs and leons on the twistys, you just can’t have been driving it right 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

I know this is no way answers the OPs question 😳 , but I recently got rid of a 197 and it was a great car. It seemed to have taken all the good points of the (excellent) 182 and put them in to a heavier but infinitly better screwed together package. Never missed a beat in three years and sorely missed.

I’m assuming from the reviews the 200 has moved the game on again, with the imminent Williams bound to be an instant classic.

Anyway, as you were…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Saw an original Williams clio the other day. I remember giggsy buying one. This one however hadn’t been looked after, heathen feckers!!!

davidrussell
    Free Member

vxr’s dont steer, they wait for the road to move 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

The word on the street is the new one isn’t going to blue and gold which is a bit of a bummer. Another 30bhp over 200 though, who knows where they’re finding those.

davidrussell
    Free Member

edit – pic post fail. my corporate web polis dont let me see anything these days.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?408073-V6-Rep

This is bad but by far not the the worst. some people just know how to ruin a car.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

😯

geordiemick00
    Free Member

he is going to do a bit of work on it(service,cambelt,mot etc) and has offered me first refusal when he sells it in a couple of months.

Excuse me directness…… So he’s going to buy a car, spend a shed load of cash bringing it to a decent spec and then sell it to you??

Personally, if you want one go and buy one elsewhere and save the inevitable fall out of him passing you a dud motor.

Another 30bhp over 200 though, who knows where they’re finding those.

The same place Honda has been finding them for years…. In the 80’s a CRX would belt out 167bhp from a 1.6 naturally aspirated engine. Honda without doubt make astonishingly powerful engines that last for years. I’ve had both Civic and Accord Type R’s and loved them, but once the Diesel revolution started I decided I’d go for torques instead.

You have to work revvy engines hard to keep them on the boil, a powerful oil burner can be driven lazy and still shift. A BMW 123D I had was just unbelievable, 205bhp of oomph and once up to about 60 would destroy Subaru’s, was great fun, but then I got into mountain biking and couldn’t afford over priced tarty bikes and a nice motor, so go a company car 😆

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ha ha ha ha, BMW 123d destroying subarus, that’s the funniest thing I’ve read on here for a while. Yes if we’re both in 5th at sixty and you put you foot flat down without the sub shifting down you will leave them no doubt! However as they’re good for 95 in third I feel you may be somewhat telling porkies!!

jeff

I had a 182 on a 5 day test drive – complete hoot. Part of me wishes I had taken it on, but only as a company car that I could hand back at the end!

Downsides are as noted above, plus it has a bit of a funny driving position. If you’re tall you may feel you’re too high + to the right (IIRC)

Buy with care, they will all have been driven “vigorously” 🙂

monkey_boy
    Free Member

im staritng to save for the new williams!!

god i used to drool over them in the 90’s!

davidrussell
    Free Member

The same place Honda has been finding them for years…. In the 80’s a CRX would belt out 167bhp from a 1.6 naturally aspirated engine.

I think some are a bit dubious of the Renaultsport ability to get more out of their 2.0l lump because in all the incarnations from 172 to 200 they’ve only managed another 18PS, never mind BHP. I think the engine is quite highly tuned already which ties in with my earlier comment about being hard to get big gains. even with an exhaust, remap and cams you’ll be lucky to see 10 Bhp from that. only throttle bodies are pushing the clio 182’s over 200 bhp and they are pretty impractical.
    I think to get that level of an increase there will be some serious rework done or go down the boost route.

Brycey
    Free Member

Yep davidrussell, my point exactly.

convert

I’ve got a 197 (full fat but with cup pack). We love it but even this one is on the cusp of acceptable in terms of rattles etc – the 182/172s really did fall apart internally in front of you.

My only concern with 2nd hand clio renaultsport ownership is previous owners and how it might have been treated. It’s not a car bought by people who potter about at well below the speed limit or well heeled enough to lavish a great service history on it – they are likely to be ragged and neglected. I was lucky enough to find one who’s first owner bought it for himself as a retirement gift then found it frightening to drive and expense in fuel so returned it pretty swiftly to the main agent.

hopkinsgm

Got a 182 Cup (as opposed to a 182 with the Cup pack). I couldn’t get on with the slightly overstuffed half leather seats on a “full fat”, but the poverty spec cloth seats in the 182 Cup (straight out of a base model Clio) fit me a lot better.

It’s not excessively rattly – I’ve had rattlier VW’s. It’s also not excessively expensive to run – cambelt was an expected expense, and other than that it’s just been regular running costs in the almost two years and 30,000 or so miles I’ve owned it.

As stated above, cambelt is 72,000 miles/5 years, but do note that the accessory belt needs doing every 36,000 miles/3 years. Accessory belt is a relatively quick job but if neglected and it snaps, it’ll tend to take the cambelt with it…

staralfur
    Free Member

How much did you pay to get the cambelt done pal? Mine is overdue, I will NOT be taking it to Renault though.

davidrussell
    Free Member

where are you? If you’re anywhere near birmingham then look up a chap called fred at BTM performance – knows the F4r engine inside out.

Again Cliosport is a good forum for advice on cambelt changes.

staralfur
    Free Member

N. Ireland so won’t be giving him a shout any time soon! Been on cs.net for a few years now, good site, very useful as you say.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Go for a trophy with fsh & receipts to back the fsh up.

hopkinsgm

@staralfur – don’t recall total cost for the full 72000 service and a couple of little jobs that got done at the same time, but off the top of my head, KTec Racing charged me about 3h labour for the cambelt, plus parts. Whilst the cambelt was off, they spotted that the VVT pulley was sticking, so rather than a smooth transition from about 2500 rpm, it came in as a dollop of extra grunt at about 4000 to 4500 rpm. That got replaced at the same time (approx £125 parts, with negligible labour costs as the cambelt was already off IIRC).

@ martynxyz – at the time I bought my 182 Cup, there were several 182 Trophy’s on the market, but prices typically £1500 more than a comparable regular “full fat” 182 (with or without Cup kit) or a 182 Cup. The Recaro seats are nice, but they’re not *that* nice, and I didn’t want the additional hassle/maintenance/ongoing expense associated with the trick dampers. And I don’t particularly like red cars either. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘clio 182 ….. any good?’ is closed to new replies.