Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Cleggs 'Freedom Bill'….
  • Pook

So Nick Clegg has launched his initiative to find out what laws people want to repeal, under the title 'The Freedom Bill'.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10470071.stm

Thinking 'Freedom', and repealing laws, it seems a perfect opportunity to lobby for similar access rights as are found in Scotland.

So get suggesting! NC is my local MP, so I might take it to him at his surgery.

highclimber
    Free Member

I prefer to call it the 'Freedom Repeal Bill'

BigDummy
    Free Member

there's still an old law in the statute book that says it's an offence if you don't report a grey squirrel in your own back garden

If this is the sort of restriction on my liberty that he is targetting then I am not going to waste my time. He can go away and look through the statute books for stuff about shooting welshmen with crossbows himself. There are plenty of other things that appear rather more pressing.

wwaswas

Cleggs 'Freedom Bill'

I guess this won't include removing my freedom to vote for a minority party that chooses to ignore its own manifesto at the first sniff of access to power?

highclimber
    Free Member

I guess this won't include removing my freedom to vote for a minority party that chooses to ignore its own manifesto at the first sniff of access to power?

they are still a minority party with only a few bargaining chips on the table hence their ability to get the tories (who were dead-against change to voting reform) to consider changing the voting system to something a little more progressive.

konabunny
    Free Member

Thinking 'Freedom', and repealing laws, it seems a perfect opportunity to lobby for similar access rights as are found in Scotland.

To be pedantic for a second, to have Scottish-style land access in England would require the enactment of new law, not repealing of old law, surely?

Pook

repealing of the prohibitive laws i guess first

corroded
    Free Member

I wonder if Clegg has read Dom Raab's The Assault on Liberty. Since 1997 there have been 45 new criminal justice laws passed – more than the total during the preceding century (!) – creating 3,000 new criminal offences. Perhaps Clegg could simply work backwards, undoing the more pernicious recent laws first and leaving the squirrel reporting until last.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bet nothing of significance is repealed. Zero zilch nada

Its a classic piece of pandering to the daily wail

molgrips
    Free Member

Scottish access laws would never work in England, and never get put on the books. Too many people, not enough space, people are too used to privacy and not used to the responsibility that would have to come with it.

There'd be people running all over just to annoy landowners; big powerful landowners would be afraid of that happening.. there'd be hell to pay for sure.

uplink
    Free Member

Which one's Clegg?
    I always get them mixed up

miketually
    Free Member

I believe the Digital Economy Bill is being targeted, and ID Card stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

Repealing the CJA would be a good start tho 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Can the enclosures acts be repealed?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Could he repeal Ant and Dec? Seriously? And Michael Winner.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Scottish access laws would never work in England, and never get put on the books. Too many people, not enough space, people are too used to privacy and not used to the responsibility that would have to come with it.

There'd be people running all over just to annoy landowners; big powerful landowners would be afraid of that happening.. there'd be hell to pay for sure.

I tend to agree. The arrangements here were worked out in consensus and agreement between all parties – including the landowners. I simply can't see the landowners agreeing in England.

There is also a different culture about access to the land

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hunting with dogs.

rkk01
    Free Member

Agree that Scottish style access is unlikely, but the footpth / bridleway etc issues could be addressed.

Classic out-dated stuff dating back to when horse / foot were the only means of transport

kimbers

sounds like a load of hot air to me
    to show how modern and progressive the government is
    to make us feel all empowered as wages fall prices rise and we tumble into a recession

how about a referendum on pulling out of afgahnistan?
    or how about an end to drug prohibition and prostitution, legalise and tax the lot i say

IanMunro
    Free Member

I tried to repeal an orange once
    It's was a sticky and ultimately futile experience.

grumm
    Free Member

What a load of bollocks. Tokenistic nonsense – Nick Clegg has sold out the Lib Dems and they will be destroyed at the next election.

konabunny
    Free Member

repealing of the prohibitive laws i guess first

Land access law (and trespass specifically) is mostly common (judge-made) law, isn't it?

As a side note – wittering on about the number of laws passed as if it made any difference per se is utterly pointless. What matters is the practical effect of the laws, not the number of legislative instruments.

nickc

The day after Clarke more or less admitted that Tory policy on Prisons was a pile of donkey doodoo, and knowing the Mail would rip them to shreds about it, they send Nick "Every-ones best mate" Clegg out with this one…

It's straight out of Malcolm Tucker's play-book

SuperScale20
    Free Member

What a load of crap!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Saw Clegg on Breakfast TV talking about this. He came across like the work experience kid who has been give a little "project" to keep him out of mischief while the grown-ups get on with the serious stuff.

I'd be absolutely amazed if this leads to anything other than a repeal of the hunting ban or something else on the Tory backbench wishlist, with the Lib Dems and Nick Clegg acting as a human shield for it. The Lib Dems are going to get destroyed at the next election.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if you click on the link at the bottom of that BBC page unwanted rules You get straight away a list of myths created by the papers!

Utter bobbins!

pjt201
    Free Member

it's a load of rubbish. the quote i heard on the radio this morning was cleg saying that there's still a law on the statute books about being compelled to kill grey squirrels on your land, he went on to add that this was the kind of thing he wanted to get rid of. what a waste of public money.

pjt201
    Free Member

First of all I would like to see all human rights and benefits taken away from all prisoners. Why should we reward the criminals?

J.Miller, Washington, Tyne & Wear

"

Love it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

All foreigners coming into the country should not be given benefits or be able to use the NHS or even get council houses. They should have paid taxes first for one year before being able to do any of these.

Val, Merseyside

Is already the case for example.

[

KonaTC

Since 1997 there have been 45 new criminal justice laws passed – more than the total during the preceding century (!) – creating 3,000 new criminal offences.

Bl@@dy H£ll

never thought there were so many – must all be good laws tho as real crime has dropped, less shotings, knifeings, rapes, murders

if you beleive the stats

julianwilson
    Free Member

I'd like to repeal whatever the last parliamentry reform act was (1832? or 1867?) and replace it with a house of commons elected by PR. Its not like first past the post got us a united and consistent government this time did it!

*runs for cover*

MS
    Free Member

But surely getting rid of ridicolous old acts would save some of the tax payer money? no?

As i'm sure there are quite a few people that stick by them and get people into trouble for doing it. Costing money the court system in the end.

Maybe should be constructive and think of the bills that you think should be changed/removed rather than slating clegg/lib dems/ tories.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt…its getting old, whats done is done get on with it!!!

konabunny
    Free Member

But surely getting rid of ridicolous old acts would save some of the tax payer money? no?

As i'm sure there are quite a few people that stick by them and get people into trouble for doing it. Costing money the court system in the end.
    OK – what's an example of an old law that's obsolete/ridiculous that people are actually prosecuted under? Are Magistrate's Courts up and down England filled with people being prosecuted for failing to practice archery once a month (or whatever)?

While I accept that the reporting might be out of context, this is just Ross McToss:

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Mr Clegg said there was "lots and lots of old stuff on the statute books that we should get rid of for starters".

"I've just discovered for instance, would you believe it, that there's still an old law in the statute book that says it's an offence if you don't report a grey squirrel in your own back garden," he said.
    SFW? What is the point of coming out with this pish as if it were a serious policy that was worth spending government time on?

And all this "cutting red tape" flannel is just rubbish – all of the laws identified (speeding, OH&S, tax) have policy objectives behind them, and whether or not you agree with the objectives, it's not like they are purposeless anachronisms – it's not like there are laws that say you can only fill in customs clearance application forms in Latin, in green ink, on Tuesdays or whatever. Can anyone actually come up with a law that serves no purpose (as opposed to no good purpose)?

If we really wanted to save the courts time, reduce crime, allocate police resources better, raise taxes and cut state expenditure, it's not squirrel-reporting laws that need repealing – it's the prohibition of (and consequently the untaxed sale of) cannabis and the restrictions on medical prescription of heroin.

But of course those are the sorts of policies you have to abandon after years in opposition when you shack up with the Blue Meanies, and you're left with the abolition of policies that appear more often in the Did You Know? column of the paper than in the law reports…

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I tend to agree. The arrangements here were worked out in consensus and agreement between all parties – including the landowners.

Remind me to give you a potted history of the LR(S)A 2003 sometime. I might even have an original (pre F&M) draft somewhere. Let me just assure you that the landowners had very little say in the final version – on account of their irresponsible behaviour during the F&M outbreak.

konabunny
    Free Member

on account of their irresponsible behaviour during the F&M outbreak.

Can you elaborate? (This is a genuine question – I am totally ignorant about the matter – like most other matters).

anagallis_arvensis

1st law of thermodynamics please, makes physics lessons dull.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Its the endless amounts of regulations that I would like to see repealed. Often enforced by pseudo-law enforcement agency's, who are little more than quango's.

It has created a huge public misunderstanding of what is 'Law' and, for the most part they are 'toothless'.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Such as Jackson? Lets have some examples

deft
    Free Member

Just had a gander at this Freedom 2.0 website. People seem to be missing the point somewhat:

"Which current laws would you like to remove or change because they restrict your civil liberties?"

'Death penalty for tax evasion'
    'Compulsory overseas service for denial of climate change'
    'Enforce 30 mph with average speed cameras'
    'Bring Back the public stocks'

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

Such as Jackson? Lets have some examples

Well just of the top of my head, look at the FSA with their clipboards and rule books. Absolutely and utterly powerless against the might of the banks.

In my opinion rafts of regulations have 'muddied the water' of what is law and what isn't. Only this morning BBC breakfast informed me that unions say that "hundreds of schools are breaking the law by using untrained staff to fill in for absent teachers"… oh really I thought then why are these schools not being dealt with under the law. Reality is they are operating against regulation/best practice but not illegally.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Cleggs 'Freedom Bill'….’ is closed to new replies.