Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cleat Position?
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

For those of you running clipless, spd, pedals and shoes where do you position your cleats?

The front two mounting holes near the toe? The rear two? Front, all the way forward? Front, all the way back? Rear, all the way forward? rear, all the way back? Front or rear somewhere in between?

The reason I ask is for the past 10 years I’ve been riding spds and as long as I can remember I’ve been running my cleats as far forward as possible (front, all the way forward). As my riding has progressed and I’ve become more focussed in my hobby/sport this has involved riding more and more technical trails. Obviously steep, gnarly technical trail features can be a little unnerving when clipped in but it’s more regarding descending, especially prolonged descents.

When you watch the videos of other riders or coverage of the enduro or downhill, riders are often wearing flats and the pedal spindle is quite central under the foot. Which makes an easier movement for heels down or toes up. Were as mine are under the ball of my foot, quite far forward.

Basically, I’ve always believed that running cleats under the ball of the foot and as far forward as possible is the best for pedalling but this is perhaps more road orientated thinking and not mtb.

So where do you put yours? Why? Thoughts?

Cheers

Big-Pete
    Free Member

centre of cleat at widest part of foot for me

rocketman
    Free Member

Depends. AM45s for gravity duties the plate & cleats are right back. MP66s/M162s for trail riding the cleat plates are as far forward as they will go and the cleats are on the rearmost pair of holes

Just personal preference

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

For me it’s approximately 5mm forward of centre from the centre of my ball on my foot.

Edric64
    Free Member

Axle is under the ball of my foot

njee20
    Free Member

All the way forward is likely to put the axle forward of the ball of your foot surely?

Moe

I’ve just done the same (moved from front to back) and I have found it a little more comfortable and haven’t really noticed a huge difference. Though up to now I’ve not really done anything technical, I generally ‘play’ on my SS which has flats.

micky
    Free Member

with axle running under ball of foot for me.

slackalice
    Free Member

Under the widest part of the foot and I offset the cleat towards the inside of the shoe to minimise heel rub on the seat stays, crank arms.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ball of my foot just in front of the axle otherwise it feels like I’m on my toes the whole time and I get foot arch cramps.

tinsy
    Free Member

axle under ball of foot again.. If I were to bias in any direction it would be the opposite way than the OP & get the axle just behind the ball.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Cleats quite well back, so the axle is maybe 10mm behind the balls of my toes. I find it better for bumpy, steep and technical riding and no worse the rest of the time. An added benefit is that it’s easier on your calf muscles and I find I don’t tire so quickly.
    Have a read of this:

POWER TO THE PEDAL – CLEAT POSITION

getonyourbike
    Free Member

As far back as they’ll go in the rear-most bolt holes. I have considered doing what Fabien Barel did to some of his old shoes and extending the slots further back by cutting them so I can run the cleats further back.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Opps, actually meant to say 5mm back of centre. Cleat behind ball.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks folks. I suppose I’m looking for that compromise of not feeling perched on the balls of my feet when descending and working the bike out of the saddle for long periods as I tire quickly.

As someome suggested, this is perhaps as I’m using my calves more instead of a bigger muscle group. I’m just looking for small improvements really.

I read the Steve Hogg fitting article this weekend. Used tape and ferule and marked my 1st toe joint (to indicate BoF) on shoe. This seemed to be inline or just a tad forward of pedal axle.

I’ve left the cleats in the forward holes but run them as far back as possible. Now they’re a tad behind the pedal axle. I just need to put some miles in on various types of trails to experiment now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cleat Position?’ is closed to new replies.