Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Any Exchange gurus out there?
  • schrickvr6
    Free Member

A friend works for a small business of 6-7 users and their IT guy has done one leaving them in the lurch, he has a limited knowledge of these matters and I have a slightly less limited knowledge. Anyway the problem….

They have an Exchange server running SBS 2003 SP2, using Outlook via POP3 I believe to retrieve mail. There seems to be an issue syncing mailboxes, Outlook shows the progress to be taking ages to retrieve several small messages and eventually fails, if there is a message or messages to be delivered when you click receive they will download then it goes back to trying to download messages I don’t believe exist before failing again, every users Outlook is doing the same.
    I did manage to free up one shared mailbox by going into webmail (which is unaffected) and deleting all the most recent spam and junk. There’s nothing stuck in the server message queues so I’m a bit flummoxed. Outlook on the server is also fine.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You need to free up the ports by syncing 80 and 45. Assuming of course that you have already reconfigured the ADM multiplexer after the initial sync command.

Or something like that.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Thanks, so you think another service has stolen port 80?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Perhaps, you can try to ping to,or from 80 or 8080

matt_outandabout

schrickvr6
    Free Member

OK I’ve tried checking what ports are being used and picking through event viewer and three days ago IIS was caused to crash a few times by an antispam .dll, now IIS is listening on port 80. They don’t have a website hosted on the server so am I right in thinking I can just stop IIS or change the port to something else?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oooh! I dunno, i was just makng all that stuff up, i posted the same response to that bloke who lst his tv channels.
    I’ve no idea what any of it means. Sorry if it made sense!

footflaps

Exchange won’t use Port 80 for POP3, normally POP3 is on 110.

http://www.petri.co.il/ports_used_by_exchange.htm

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ha I realized you were being facetious with your adm multiplexers but thought maybe you were being cryptic with the ports, maybe onto something with port 80 we’ll see. Strange this started happening after IIS crashed…

footflaps

I’d see if you can enable better debug on the server or client and try and see where the comms is breaking down:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa997690%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Gordy
    Free Member

MIght help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885685 ?

Does it not give an error when it fails? Sorry I can’t fight sleep any longer to help more.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It comes up with a code but an unknown error, most references relate to sending issues.

davewilson634
    Free Member

Haha charliemungus that was good

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ha I realized you were being facetious with your adm multiplexers but thought maybe you were being cryptic with the ports, maybe onto something with port 80 we’ll see. Strange this started happening after IIS crashed…

Well that’s good. I can try making some other stuff up and see if that happens to right?

footflaps

Have you jack booted the Flux Capacitor and re-flushed the pylons?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Any Exchange gurus out there?’ is closed to new replies.