Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • classifieds missing parcel wrong address etiquette
  • akeys001

greetings all, anyone got any advice?, I bought something from the classifieds, paid and gave all the necessary details, seller sent item with proof of postage and its gone missing, looking at proof of postage the house number is wrong – been to see if its at the incorrect address and ‘no-one has seen it’ – who takes the hit? thanks

Sum
    Free Member

Presumably you gave the seller the correct address and can prove it? If so, it’s the seller at fault. Incidentally, if the seller sent the proof of posting with the item, how come you have it when the item went to the wrong address?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I have been the seller in this situation….. and acording to the users here I had to take the hit.
    So I lost the part paid the postage and had to refund the buyer…
    But I did still have proof of postage so claimed through the postoffice on one of their forms.
    I was refunded by the Postoffice . It was only a £10 item but hey £10 is £10 !

So he should refund you….. is the rules!

donsimon
    Free Member

I think legally the seller only has to demonstrate proof of posting, then it becomes someone else’s responsibility.
    If the address is wrong, I can see the wicket getting sticky. Can you prove, through email for example, that the address you sent was good?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Sellers responsibility, unless you gave wrong address.

Edit. In my opinion of course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whoever ****ed up pays, simple as.

akeys001

yep i can prove i gave the right address via email and to be fair he acknowledges this – at the mo he’s saying ‘what do you think is fair’ – I will go back to the seller and let him know the verdict, cheers gang…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Simple grown ups rules, transaction is not complete until you either have item or a refund in your hands. He has the contract with shipper, not you, his problem.

sweepy
    Free Member

His responsibility

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

sum you flipping plum! why on earth would he send the proof of postage with the posted item, obviously the item has been posted if it arrives at his house! What a pointless comment, you arse

Sum
    Free Member

Anus, try reading the OP before acting like one:

seller sent item with proof of postage … looking at proof of postage …

Hehehe

njee20
    Free Member

I assume seller sent a scan of proof of postage or sommat. Must admit I thought that though!

It’s the seller’s fault, you did everything right, he screwed up. You can’t be expected to hold his hand when he writes the label. Basic thing to check frankly.

bruneep

I assume seller sent a scan of proof of postage or sommat. Must admit I thought that though!

That’s what I do take a pic of PO or courier receipt and forward onto buyer.

nealglover
    Free Member

paid and gave all the necessary details, seller sent item with proof of postage and has proof of postage which I have now seen, and its gone missing, looking at proof of postage the house number is wrong

Presume that’s what he meant.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Seller takes hit as mentioned he can claim it back through post office he anyway!

nealglover
    Free Member

he can claim it back through post office he anyway!

If he sent it to the wrong address (and admits that’s what he did) then he might have trouble with that ?

Who’s to say it wasn’t delivered to the wrong address (as requested) and they have flogged whatever it was on eBay ?

Sum
    Free Member

I doubt the seller can claim back from the PO. Looks like the item is lost. Hopefully the OP has proof that he gave the correct address to the seller.

scaredypants

I doubt the seller can claim back from the PO

don’t see why not

…at the incorrect address and ‘no-one has seen it’

spooky_b329

If the seller admits to the post office that he posted it to the wrong address, he will be out of pocket. But as you have checked the address he posted it to, presumably the seller can still claim as it wasn’t delivered to them. Unless you think they’re telling porkies and have kept the item for themselves, in which case presumably could you involve the police.

Regardless, as mentioned above you are entitled to a full refund, whatever the seller decides to do.

mildred

To clarify:

It was I that posted it to the correct address and requested the proof of postage. I clearly recall writing the address. The post office have either misread my writing or mistyped the number (easy mistake given my handwriting and that the numbers are next to each other on the key pad).

On scanning the proof of posting I have seen that the number is incorrect and it is me that has pointed this out to the OP. I have then suggested he knocks on at the neighbours house, whilst in the meantime I have put in a claim.

There are no issues, nothing sinister, no hard feelings between me or the OP, so whilst I’m puzzled at his airing this online, I haven’t refused to refund him or even hinted at this. Given I’m also out of pocket and have no way of telling whether I’m having my leg lifted (not that I think the OP is being dishonest in any way), my only question to him has been “what do you think is fair?”

Is that good enough for the STW baying pack, or should I be offering compensation for my loss?

spooky_b329

Just to clarify my post…’kept the item for themselves’ refers to the recipient at the incorrect address 🙂

Be wary with the incorrect address thing, the post office may try and tell you that you should have checked the details on the receipt.

coma2s
    Free Member

The postman reads whats you have wrote on the label so even if the post office have typed in the wrong number it will make no difference to applied address

cynic-al
    Free Member

How does a proof of postage determine where a parcel goes?

The address on the parcel is what matters.

mildred

Exactly, and my asking the OP to check the neighbour’s address is based on me accepting my handwriting may not be the best, and that there is a chance someone else has misread it too.

sas
    Free Member

Put a claim in to the Post Office, don’t mention the wrong address because it’s irrelevant as it hasn’t been delivered to the address on the package (unless the recipient is lying, but then that could occur even if it was correctly addressed).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so whilst I’m puzzled at his airing this online

I read it as he was not sure of the right thing to do/ happen and thus asking for views on it.

mildred

I read it as he was not sure of the right thing to do/ happen and thus asking for views on it.

I’m certain you’re right.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘classifieds missing parcel wrong address etiquette’ is closed to new replies.