Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Classifieds issue – anything I can do?
  • steveh

This item was advertised on the forum a number of times and yesterday I made an offer.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ot-fs-sony-vpl-cs21-svga-pcvideodvd-projector-100-ono

Via email we agreed a slightly higher price and i sent the money via bank transfer last night. The seller contacted me this morning to say he'd been offered more money (nearly double in fact but i don't think that's relevant) and that I could up my offer or he'd refund me.

I don't think that's on, we agreed the deal and I paid, if someone else then offers more it's just unlcuky as the deal is done. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do?

tracknicko
    Free Member

the guy is obviously a dick steve. sack it off, get your money back.

finbar
    Free Member

I think the seller is justified, it's unfortunate for you but hey-ho.

scaredypants

I think the seller is unjustified, it's unfortunate for you but hey-ho.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You probably could do something but it will be a load of hassle. Forget it

woody2000

finbar – how can that be justified? Done deal – he's paid, he gets the goods.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

the guy is obviously a dick steve

Kens a nice guy. Have to agree that if a sales agreed (and money transfered) he should really honour the sale.

At the end of the day, its up to the seller though- as long as he refunds you he can sell it to whoever he likes.

slowjo
    Free Member

Get your money back… don't deal with the guy again.

uplink
    Free Member

Seller should take it on the chin
    If he didn't want to sell at that price, he shouldn't have advertised & taken your money

yunki
    Free Member

own him wiv bommaz

tracknicko
    Free Member

sounds like dickish behavour to me.

he's probably lovely in real life. but he made an agreement, got paid for it, and now is dicking over a forum member for a few extra quid.

bad form.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The seller is deffo being a dick – the contract has been made and he has reneged on it. Poor behaviour. However the hassle of trying to get a remedy would be far too much for me to be worth it. Get your money back and move on.

finbar
    Free Member

finbar – how can that be justified? Done deal – he's paid, he gets the goods.

You're right, justified is the wrong word, but understandable. I'm not saying i'd do the same, but an extra £100 or thereabouts is not to be sniffed at.

takisawa2

So, he's selling this thing for £100.
    You offered him £75, he didnt accept but did agree on a slightly higher price.
    He then gets an offer for double yours…
    So he was selling for £100 & someone has offered him what, about £150…

This projector thing has been on here probably a half a dozen times now & all of a sudden there's a gazzumping war for it…?

Walk away.

mudshark
    Free Member

Seller is wrong of course – deal struck – but people are like that and nothing you can realistically do beyond revenge.

steveh

We agreed 80, someone offered 150. I can only assume he's had it advertised elsewhere as well as it's been on here a lot.

I'll end up leaving it I'm sure but it annoys me that people think it's an acceptable thing to do.

cb

Wrong – added him to a list of people I wouldn't buy from. However, just get your cash back and don't waste any more oxygen on the guy.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have a binding contract and if he doesn't sell it to you, you could sue him for the extra you have to pay to buy similar (at a reasonable price). But it's never going to be worth the hassle.

I'd get a bit ***y with him and see if it does the trick. If not then get the money back, publicise it and move on.

His latest buyer may renege, you never know.

vinnyeh

takisawa +1. advertised at £100ono, and somebody offers £150?

I can see why he'd be tempted by the higher offer though, if it exists.

tracknicko
    Free Member

think buyer 2 really exists?

hmmmmm

edit: as above. – would be really dickish behaviour but could be possible that he's pulling a fast one here mate.

sslowpace
    Free Member

If he recieved the money and agreed then i see it as contract agreed.
    Bad form to bail on the deal, even if it is for more money.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This projector thing has been on here probably a half a dozen times now & all of a sudden there's a gazzumping war for it…?

Probably loads of people waiting to see quite how low it will go and now all a bit peeved that they let it go. I had it with a yeti ASR frame, droped the price every few days and eventualy droped below £300, sold it for a bit over £300 in the end as I had buyers whod obviously been watching me lower the price and were playing chicken.

mudshark
    Free Member

Gazumping usually happens before money changes hands so not good; anyway OP – YGM.

scaredypants

I doubt he's invented the other buyer after relisting repeatedly. More likely someone responded to an older ad with a higher asking price (placed elsewhere maybe)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

If you've paid him it's yours, reagrdless of what happens afterwards – once you've paid it wasn't really his anymore, was it? Wouldn't like to do business with that seller if he pulls that kind of crap.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Breach of contract innit.

If you can find who the second buyer is, make a deal for them to withdraw the offer, you get the item, then sell to buyer 2 for £110 – profits and savings all round.

tails
    Free Member

Cranky behavior but if someone offered double I can certainly see why that has turned his head, perhaps he is not very well off. We are not all made of money £50/£60 is a lot of money to some people.

Its happened to me before I said fair one I'm not willing to go that high.

tails
    Free Member

If you've paid him it's yours

Yet strangely it becomes the sellers again when it gets lost in transit. 😕

grumm
    Free Member

Up until the point where he took the money off you it would have been justified imo – but once you've paid he should honour the deal.

mudshark
    Free Member

Well that's not really true as a deal is a deal – except when buying houses!

Lifer
    Free Member

tails – Member

If you've paid him it's yours

Yet strangely it becomes the sellers again when it gets lost in transit

Always get proof of postage or send recorded/special!

muggomagic

I would be peeved if I were in your shoes, but if the seller needs the cash I suspect he won't be too worried about your feelings or the supposed contract.

Think you just have to accept that when you are dealing with strangers selling items on an internet forum that you are not going to get the same service you'd expect from a high street retailer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hard one really as you have paid he should honour it but at nearly double the price you paid I think [depending on how skint I was] my principles may become a bit more fluid.
    He has been honest with you as as they could have just said sorry just tested it and it is broken here is your money back but they chose to not do this and tell the truth.
    Personally if I was you would tut shrug and walk away. Seller being a bit unfair but I reckon we would all have been tempted to do this.

grumm
    Free Member

Well that's not really true as a deal is a deal

When you buy something from a shop, my understanding is the contract is only enacted when they take the money off you, up until that point it's just an 'invitation to treat' or something.

Think you just have to accept that when you are dealing with strangers selling items on an internet forum that you are not going to get the same service you'd expect from a high street retailer.

Thing is I've normally had better service than you would get from a high street retailer on here.

hora
    Free Member

Tricky one and priced well even at £150. I too was interested but due to the usage/time I think it would need a new bulb soon though and they arent cheap.

I think in this instance if you've already paid then its yours. If he'd accepted your offer then said 'sorry'- its tough. Hes not a charity and people can change their mind (as buyers sometimes do as well).

Seeing as you paid he should honour his part of the deal.

Mark

If he has your money a contract is in place. The goods ARE yours from that point and you could go and 'collect' them. If he doesn't hand them over you could take him to small claims. He's in breach of contract.

All great in theory.. Practice however…

theboatman
    Free Member

As other's have said; you owned the goods so they were yours. But the reality of getting this resolved in your favour seems limited. I agree with those that have said take the refund and let it go; the seller clearly is a dick and I'm sure a few will take note of how much he honours a deal, but he seems happy to be a dick for the extra money, and you can't change that.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Yes, he's on my 'do not deal with' list from a previous classified

wwaswas

It certainly doesn't bode well for selling his curtis.

It does seem fairly clear cut but I wonder if there's another side to the story.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If he has your money a contract is in place

It was in place from agreement!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds issue – anything I can do?’ is closed to new replies.