Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Classifieds Etiquette
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Peeved about a recent experience. Asked a question about an item on the classifieds, whilst waiting for an answer the next person to post said they would have said item. Poster said it was correct to sell it to the second person in the queue as all I did was ask a question. Would have liked to have been given the option when the question was answered as I posted first.

Doesnt seem correct to me.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Happened to me mate but it’s just the luck of the draw. I said I’d have the item but someone e-mailed direct. I suppose if you look at it from the sellers point of view they will go for the first confirmed sale,which i would do in the same position.

j_me
    Free Member

Seems ok to me. First person to offer the asking price gets the item in my book.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bit grey and a matter of etiquette at most. Move on.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

If you really want it you need to cut to the chase and make an offer. Direct email and thread post is best too. Seller’s approach was fair enough IMO.

MartynS

If its a choice between a question or a sale I know which one I’d take.

nickjb
    Free Member

You should have phrased your reply better; eg “I’ll take it if it’s the one without a display”. Grey area, but first full price offer gets it.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I’ll always use email as well as a post. Often the post will be after the email and as such it may look like I’m further down the list.
    If it’s something I definitely want ‘I’ll take it, although I do have a question…’ seems to do the trick.
    I’d have to agree, if one person wants me to give them pics and the other person wants to give me cash money, I’ll take the money thanks.
    I don’t think that’s too unfair?
    Although I must admit, if I was selling something I’d always make a point of adding pics. You can just about g/tee that you’ll be asked for them and it’s a much better way to sell.

clipper68
    Free Member

Frankly, if it was me, I would have respected the order of any emails, questions or not, that came in.
    But thats just me.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

You are a true gentleman Sir! 😀 😉

hamishthecat
    Free Member

But thats just me

Judging by the responses I think that’s bang on.

j_me
    Free Member

Clipper68, unfortunately you do get people that ask 20 questions then offer half the price.
    If you really want an item then do what’s advised here, conditional offer.

nuke

Its a grey area as its up to the seller and it varies between sellers as to what they think is appropriate etiquette.

I’ve missed out on items when I’ve offered full price but because someone has asked a question before my offer they have ‘dibs’ and then take it. Just move on…

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it surprises me the lack of etiquette shown on the classifieds considering how polite and civil the rest of the forum is 😯
    I agree with you but sellers choice.

clipper68
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong, I have moved on. Just wanted to get other members views.
    Rest assured, if I’m selling stuff (I have a list, just need to get it all on) i’ll go by the order they came in.

clipper68
    Free Member

I also don’t bear grudges too. 😀

hora
    Free Member

TBH, you can spend all day answering questions. Doesn’t mean someone will buy the item.

First person who offers the money takes. The person who just offers and pays the money though has the nightmare that if something isn’t right on receiving…TOUGH. You should have asked that before shouldn’t you?

..but thats part of the risk of rushing ahead.

grumm
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s unreasonable really, asking a question isn’t the same as saying you want it.

clipper68
    Free Member

No, but it verifies its the correct item. I also like to see a pic of the actual item to verify it exists

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I take a view that the item belongs to the seller and it’s theirs to sell to who they want.
    I’ve been peeved off a couple of times with sellers who have lead me to believe it’s mine, then told me it’s been collected and sold, but it’s their perogative.
    I agree with most above, whoever comes up with the cash first, people offering cash on immediate collection would get first dibs in my sale, not whoever saw the ad first.

theboatman
    Free Member

I always respect the order for who has offered to buy it, but a question isn’t an offer to buy. So I think the seller has been fine.

mickasaki
    Free Member

How about a change of listing procedure similar to that on radar? No photo – no listing? If it says ‘no offers’ in the listing, dont make them!It would save a lot of wasted postings for the mods to check, and a lot of wasted emails replying to photo collectors! If they wernt interested after seeing the photo’s in the listing, they wouldn’t reply – less timewasters – more likely to get first refusal – sorted

cynic-al
    Free Member

contract is formed on acceptance of offer.

samuri
    Free Member

First person to make an offer would get the buy for me. Anyone ‘baggsying’ it would be ignored too. People asking questions are doing just that, why would I give someone asking questions preference?

Rest assured, if I’m selling stuff (I have a list, just need to get it all on) i’ll go by the order they came in.

Yeah, you’ll go by the order that people make you offers, you’ll not hang around waiting to see if the first ten people who asked a question want it before offering it to the eleventh guy who said ‘I’ll give you what you want for it’, will you?

jam-bo

*makes note to ask lots of pointless questions and then back out*

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

There’s lots of punks on the classifieds on this website.

More importantly, those who are regular and seem to be god’s gift to the mtb community are certainly not excluded from being the punks.

Would rather buy new with warranty and get it sent to me quickly for extra ££.

Seems illogical to buy from here unless your sourcing very cheap parts to build a pub build imo.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Illogical to buy from here? Well to you but to others it helps the buyer and seller so everyone wins – if all goes well anyway.

As to the OP – well I had a few questions about my house when I put it on the market but I still took the 1st offer that was acceptable – I’m funny like that.

Shandy
    Free Member

There are some really annoying buyers who post on the thread “ygm”, “pm sent” or whatever, and then email you an offer for about 60% of the asking price.

There are also people who will snap up anything thats a bargain without ever intending to put it on a bike.

sssimon
    Free Member

money talks bullshit walks

a question is a question

a offer is an offer

higgo
    Free Member

Seller was correct in taking first actual offer.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

On the subject of etiquette, I think it’s bad form to start a thread telling tales on other members without first discussing it with them

hora
    Free Member

money talks bullshit walks

a question is a question

a offer is an offer

Amen

coogan
    Free Member

No ‘dibs’. First to offer cash amount I agree with gets the item my book.

clipper68
    Free Member

To the accusation of telling tales, my initial post didn’t mention any names or specific items just the experience.
    I would rather end this thread if people are going to get nasty over it. All I was asking for was peoples opinion not tit for tat tale telling so get your facts straight. I refer back to the post that said I have moved on and dont bear grudges. The one with the smiley face.

clipper68
    Free Member

Interesting bit of censorship there. I didn’t swear, the word x’ed out is also a little bird of the blue or great variety…. 😀

ivantate
    Free Member

Depends on the seriousness of the question etc…. but you would have to say you will take it with the conditional question. Then if the seller knows its a negative answer to the question and sells before you can counter question then its fine. Generally you get a few people ask for a photo that never even acknowledge they got it and then someone like me offer a silly price.

This is pretty complicated stuff for a sunday evening.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I wasn’t being nasty. I was only offering an opinion. I’m not aware that I tried to state any facts, nevertheless i will take on board your advice and get them straight if i do use them. I’m glad to hear you have moved on and hope we can do so with respect to this thread.

🙂

clipper68
    Free Member

Sorry that sounded a bit harsh mate but it seems to have got out of hand. I will be rephrasing any questions I send to buyers with the ‘i will have it if its the ……’ type thing in future.

Rich
    Free Member

Lesson learnt, all is well!

higgo
    Free Member

This is pretty complicated stuff for a sunday evening.

No it’s not.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.