Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Classic/ vintage/ old school road bikes. What's you got.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I am currently half way through a Peugeot PY-10 restoration. It’s nothing too exotic but should bring smile to my face once it’s finished. Anyone else got a classic lurking in the garage.?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

1958 Flying Scot and a Automoto from mid ’30s

dovebiker

1982 Gios Aerodynamic with Campagnolo Record and a refurbished Woodrup frame waiting to be built-up at some point.

dovebiker

duplicate post

RustySpanner

Trek 1400.

Only 1996, but definitely old skool.

Bonded ally, unbelievably uncomfy but lovely to look at.

Ridden twice since I got my Disc Trucker last year, but too pretty to get rid of.

Markie
    Free Member

wildc4rd
    Free Member

1992 Look, currently set up as a road tourer. Refurbed it end of last year, its a surprisingly nice bike to ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bagged this immaculate 1975 esquire on ebay local to me last weekend. Going to be a bday present for my dad next month.

ghastlyrabbitfat
    Free Member

Good looking MKM, Markie. Bought my MKM frame in 1980, and looked just like yours, with minimal braze ons, neat fork crown and “not quite fagpaper” but getting there wheel clearance 🙂 Sold the whole build for pennies in the late eighties.

Currently enjoying fettling with a 1987 Raleigh Triathlon (531 main and forks), custom build Mike Kowal (Columbus SL, Columbus carbon fork) and unknown lightweight from possibly early 70’s to early 80’s (weight comes up ballpark for 531, with Campag dropouts). Hand painted as “Bird” but only similarity I can find is the cut outs on BB shell. Rides dandy…..

HansRey

i’ve got a cougar joey mcloughlin frame. It’s got some clever colombous tubing and was covered in retro dura ace and suntour kit.

It’s now a fixie and I’m not sure what to do with the retro components.

amedias
    Free Member

A trio of Mercians (Audax, KOM Tourer and SS), A 90s Trek and a 90s Bontrager Road Lite.

Love them to bits, and they’re not lurkers, they are my regular riders, nothing quite like a decent vintage steel bike 🙂 With the added bonus that they can be bought for less than the cost of a posh modern wheel.

mattbee

1977 LeJeune. Needs a rear wheel though, bearing race has had it & rim is almost see through its that worn.

StuF

He’s my old vitali circa 1997

Recently treated to some new wheels and full tiagra groupset, now rides like a different bike (one that isn’t going to fall apart).

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Fausto Coppi
    circa 94 possibly earlier? Relegated to wet weather ride to work bike, but nice all the same, chrome needs serious attention.

Olagnero
    95, lovely bike, possibly made by Gianni Losa? Nice varnish job, running 1997 Shimano 105.

Raleigh Dyna-Tech 401Ti
    circa 93/94, Mix of good retro stuff, Campy, shimano, nice and light, first ride this weekend, looks like new!

Knight (Wolverhampton),
    Circa 1980, suntour and sakae bling, two wheels and chain away from a day out.

Stallard (Wolverhampton),
    1969, frame only stripped and ready for orange enamel spray, originally made for Johnny Berry’s store in Manchester.

😀

bob_summers

Early 90s Colnago, with the less exotic round tubes but still has the garish metalflake airbrush paintjob. I bought it 2nd hand in about ’98 or so I think. Would like to start riding it again, needs rebuilding (have got a 10 speed alloy Campag group and some F20 Crono tubular rims on Record hubs planned for it)

grey

I got given a Dawes roadbike a few weeks back.
    It’s been lying outside for about 30yrs :roll:.
    The seat is pretty much dissolved and the bar tape is shot and apart from the rusty chain, everything else still works.
    The wheel bearings run smoothly and the BB is smooth as butter, the thumb shifters and mechs still work as well.
    My modern bike would never be like that after sitting out so long.

nedrapier

I was gifted a 1987 Raleigh Randonneur F&F as a replacement for my kaput crappy station bike.

Found some wheels on ebay which had come off another Randonneur. The rest was parts bin or new.

Wonderful frame to ride, I’m struck by how smooth it is every time I get on it. Which is every day – goes on the train rather than left at the station – it’s not crappy enough for that!

I decided that, as the owner of a 30 year old Randonneur and some carradice luggage, I should be riding audaxes. Rode my 1st on Sunday – 207km plus another 21km getting to the start and back. The bike handled it better than I did.

antigee

1980 Malvern Star roadster – pretty much the style and weight of bike I rode as a teenager in Gloucestershire but this is from an iconic Aus’ bike co’ local to me albeit made from gas pipe and sold on the back of the 1980’s Olympics (in Russia and most countries boycotted) Pic below as bought, great original paint/stickers – looks like hardly been out – someone had picked up and taken to bike shop to get it mobile but never collected – sorted tyres and all the dry grease in the bearings and replaced original cables, have picked up some lights and a pump from the era – vinegar soaking has sorted some rust, still in pieces might have back together for local 200 yrs of the bicycle event in a couple of weeks

next will be looking at a 20″ wheel shopping folder or a 50’s 3 speed club racer like my brother had I’m sure its addictive

as bought

lack of imagination there – surely could have come up with an impressive name for heavyweight gas pipe

jobless
    Free Member

De Rosa Professional ’89 i think.
    mostly period campag chorus
    fmb tubs

justridemtb
    Free Member

1967 Bob Jackson, resprayed and rechromed by them a couple of years ago.
    1997 Orange P7, with Pace forks owned by me at since new.
    Both to be sold as they don’t get used.

windydave13
    Free Member

Got an old Raleigh Milk Race and a Rudi Altig. Keep meaning to pop them ebay as they are not being used, but no idea if they are worth anything or better going for scrap

[url=https://flic.kr/p/NoVq52]Untitled[/url] by Dave Aspinall, on Flickr

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got my 1983 Raleigh Competition that I had new and drag out ocasionally. Also same but a year older. The pre War Dawes is my occasional ride. The first year Moulton needs some work really as do the Rogers and Higgins trikes. The pair of Dawes Kingins are good to go though. Newest old bike is my early 90’s hand made thing by Coombes cycles in Hereford. Columbus Brain tubing and silly light. Just my hill climb bike now so comes out in September for a month.

TiRed

Well obviously there is my early 90’s Shorter micro TT bike, which is a mix of original and new. But am contemplating a 1966 Holdsworth for nice days.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these to fix up…

Hoods have perished. Anyone know if these
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-levers/weinmann-mafac-style-cane-creek-road-brake-lever-hoods-tan/
    fit most brakes of that era?

kerley
    Free Member

Track bike but used on road (and off road). 1991 531c Ribble frameset.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Concorde Aquila in PDM colours. Not used very much and I really should move it on.

I have a Colnago Master X light too that needs built up, suffering from the endless debate about whether to build period or modern.

nerd
    Free Member

Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra in a very flamboyant purple metallic. With ultegra 6500 components and h plus son tb14 rims in hard anodised grey. A brilliant bike, best steel free I’ve ridden, and I’ve ridden a few.

Colnago superissimo frame sat in the garage to be built with mid 2000s campag veloce, before campag made it cheap and nasty

RestlessNative
    Free Member

1966 Mercian Olympique with some modern bits

Soma Portola bars
    Tektro dual pivot brakes
    Sturmey Archer 5 speed hub (the SRF5W not the ancient one)
    Retroshift / Gevenalle shifter mount

aP
    Free Member

’68 Ken Ryall, rebuilt in the late 80s with part Ultegra I’ll be getting some DiaCompe levers in order to be able to ride L’Eroica next year.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel, my brother has 2 Viscounts, 1 a faithfull resto and 1 built with Campag 10 speed veloce and zondas….ofcourse he never actually rides them

Yeah they look like the right hoods for most 70’s stuff. Personally I’d bin the levers and stick some more modern tektro ones on, comfier and the brakes will be less rubbish

slowster
    Free Member

I have a Colnago Master X light too that needs built up, suffering from the endless debate about whether to build period or modern.

The Master X Light itself is not a 30 or even a 20 year old frame; it’s the latest and current incarnation of Colnago’s top end steel frame with shaped tubing.

As such, with the colour scheme and chrome, it’s not a question of period or modern, but rather the frame needs silver anodised aluminium components (as opposed to carbon or grey anodised). Campagnolo still make some of their lower tier groupsets using silver anodised aluminium which will match the frame nicely, and probably perform as well as 10 year old Record or Dura Ace. Equally it would look good with some second hand 1990s or early 2000s Dura Ace parts in good condition.

Ambrosio hubs (still available in silver) and grey anodised rims from someone like Harry Rowland would also look good and match the frame.

Nitto do some nice silver seatposts and stems. If possible I would go with a 26mm diameter bar (not so easy to find if you want the grooves for cables under the bar tape) and a Nitto stem like this one.. Saddles are personal, but a Rolls would suit it perfectly.

Now, crack on and build it and then post up some photos to make the rest of us envious.

mattbee

I’d love be that Colnago. I’d put a modern Super Record groupset on it…

epicyclo

Main ones:

1932 Sunbeam Road Racer

1956 Andre Bertin

Plus a a few others inc Flying Scot.

scaredypants

early 80s Jack Taylor sitting on my turbo in a puddle of sweat 😳

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Here’s my Olagnero 95 as previously mentioned, now with al black tyres though.

manton69

I have not got any images of mine that link on here, but i have this Lemond ex-team bike. It is Columbus EL framed lightweight frame built for the mountain stages. It is pretty much original apart from the gears which I put new Record C brake leaver/gear change on instead of the downtime shifters, but I still have them. I love this bike and it is still my favourite bike to ride and that paint job is awesome. 😀

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

🙂 the above is awesome, try and get a pic up.

first ride out on my dyna-tech today! quick, light, £220 spent!

plus-one

Alain Michel Retromod 1991 Dura ace 7800

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gtb47m]Alain Michel[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Allegro 1987 Dura ace 7400

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rdMBPP]image[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Classic/ vintage/ old school road bikes. What's you got.?’ is closed to new replies.