Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • city breaks
  • Seggons
    Free Member

Looking at a city break at the end of august with the lover, for around 4 nights.
    Looked at barcelona, but deemed it too expensive. Looked again at Prague, Paris, etc ..

so i'm really looking for recommendations for a budget of around £350 each including flights. Bed and breakfast preferred but not essential. Decent flight times too ha (:
    More of a romantic getaway really ha (:

So basically what can i get, if i want as much bang for my buck as i can?

Hope all are well.

Mackem

Where do you live, what airlines fly from your neck of the woods.

Anyway, Lisbon is good.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Prague is relatively cheap by western European standards but they do have a double price list for locals and tourists. Beautiful city though.

Blackhound

Seville is a lovely city.

john_drummer
    Free Member

£350 you say. That rules out Vancouver then

bumley
    Free Member

Valencia!!!

I go every year for a long weekend, going in Sept this year.

Flights were £80 return

Always stay at the same hotel (Expo Hotel) they are ideally located and have a swimming pool on the roof which is a bonus!! Cost of hotel for 4 days 3 nights is £130 pounds all in.

Its a beautiful city with everything you could want for a long weekend,I highly recommend it.

langy
    Free Member

dunno costs anymore, but poland is a good bet, lots of history etc and (was) reasonable

grumm
    Free Member

Barcelona is lovely, and didn't seem that expensive to me. Budapest is also really nice but not really much cheaper iirc.

bassspine
    Free Member

Barcelona +1 just stay off the main tourista traps and it's cheap

(eg I had a bottle of local red wine from a back street supermarket for €1.75 and it was superb, one of the best wines I have ever tasted)

Mackem

2nd the Valencia idea.

San Sebastien too, although i wouldnt say its cheap, but I do know a great Hostal in the old town.

steve-g
    Free Member

Not so much a city, but you could get cheap flights to Faro, then head west 100 or so miles on the train and stay in Lagos. That's what i'm doing, got return flights for 2 and 4 nights accomodation in a 3 star for under 300 quid….between us!!!

grumm
    Free Member

Thought you were suggesting a city break in Lagos, Nigeria for a minute!

Seggons
    Free Member

we've settled on the valencia recommendation!
    if it's awful it's all coming back to you bumley haha (:

porterclough
    Free Member

Fly to Girona and then instead of going to Barcelona, stay in Girona?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

What about Bruges? I've never been but want to as it looks lovely you could get the eurostar over (depending on where you live). My brother has recently booked a eurostar trip from Aberdeen to Paris £140 (which I think is darn good) and only takes 10 hours! impressive!

bumley
    Free Member

You will have a great time!!

Don't get a taxi from the airport, use the metro its really cheap and easy!

Best way to see the city and get round it is on the tour bus, 5 stops round the city and it does stop at the best places. Cost approx 24 euros last year but that ticket lasts 24hrs, you can get on and off as many times as you like.

There is a fantastic tapas restaurant in the old square where the basilica is, its next door to the Irish bar (can't remember the name of it) but the food is awesome and its reasonably priced. If you do stay in the Expo hotel, there is a Chinese restaurant opposite which is very good. Oh and have lunch in the restaurant at one of the Corte d Ingles department stores there club sandwich is delicious!!!!

Oceanographic centre is worth a visit and if you get time check out the beach.

Hope you enjoy it! 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

Paris in the Latin Quarter has a few deals.

Ah the organ music, street noise, warmth and making love with the balcony door open…so I heard ahem… 😆

crikey
    Free Member

Scarborough. Beach at Filey. Beer. Chips. Sex.

Bloody spoiled gets with yer forrin holidays, no wonder the countries gorn to the dogs..

ourmaninthenorth

Yeah, Valencia's nice, though it didn' make me go wild with passion. The couple in the room nest to us, on the other hand….. 😳

I have twice been to Belgium in the last year, and twice failed to make time for Bruges. First time, we were riding from Gent to Zeebrugge and were running late and second time we were driving from Oudenaarde to Zeebrugge and were, er, late. Gent and Antwerp are nice.

Barca is nice. Liked that a lot. Took my father there for his 60th birthday last year. Watched a game, ate good food and drank beer in tiny little bars at four in the morning…. 😀

Er, where else is good? I like Paris, though Dr North doesn't. She likes Budapest, though I haven't been. Avoid Brussels like the plague. If you go to Vienna you won't be able to appreciate the architecture, as you'll forever be trying to avoid the dogsh*t. Never been to Berlin, but it's on the lost. Nice is but an easyjet flight away, and ace.

MrTall
    Free Member

Lisbon is lovely and if you want romance jump on the train and in 20 minutes you're in Sintra which is full of fairytale castles and amazing old buildings and walks.

The city itself is also really nice.

I took the old GF there and it was great (apart from the fact that i had to pay for everything!)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘city breaks’ is closed to new replies.