Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Citroen Berlingo, opinions?
  • mos

We are thinking of getting one at work as a pool car/van multi-use vehicle.
    What are they like fuel/quality wise?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I heart mine. It’s a 2003 2.0 HDI. Tons of space, obviously, plenty of go, very civilised on long journeys etc. etc. I can get something like 45mpg out of mine most of the time.
    Main criticism is that, as you might expect, it handles like a French van – clutch and gearbox are extremely vague, and it goes around corners like, well, a van. Lack of air con combined with greenhouse – like windows made French traffic jams a bit uncomfortable, too.

Good build quality though, and as a tool for hauling people and bikes around Scotland and the Alps, you can’t really ask for much more this side of a Vito or something.

gusamc
    Free Member

07, 1.6HDI

For
    – load capacity (2 bikes, fronts out, single seat out, down side leaving 2 behind seat for dirty gear on seat for other))
    – ease of loading (no lip, square etc, tie points etc)
    – comfy (for me and gf)
    – 52ish mpg at normal driving (roughly to speed limit but this is with very limited stop/start town traffic)

Against
    – not good at going quick (low top speed and rolls on corners, not brilliant acceleration)
    – mpg plummets (30-35ish at sustained mway high speed 85/90+)
    – overtaking at 60 requires road/planning

Quality is ok so far, 12,500 services,

5lab

didn’t these used to be the goldencars of stw before everyone decided they wouldn’t be seen dead in a citroen and bought a skoda instead?

amplebrew

If it’s the new shape one that your looking at, we test drove one last month when we were looking at changing my wife’s car.

We test drove a VTR HDI 90 and very nearly bought it.

The only reasons that we didn’t was that aircon wasn’t standard and whilst the rear seats fold up, they couldn’t be taken out completely.

I thought the non-removable seats were a bit of an oversight on Citroen’s part.

cabbage84
    Free Member

I got a 53 plate 2.0 diesel and love it. With careful loading you can 3 bikes, 3 people and a weeks camping gear which we have done several times guy in the back does get a bit squashed with all this in mind. Fuel 45mpg. Only downside for me is no air con but otherwise excellent car for purpose

jedi

i got a 1.9 tdi
    its a silver spaceship 🙂

maccruiskeen

If you are looking at the newer ones I found the pedal position in the new shape one torturous, really uncomfortable after 10 minutes or so.

StuE
    Free Member

Don’t know about the car but have done lots of miles in a 16HDI van at work and hate them with a passion, I have longish legs and find the driving position very uncomfortable

godzilla
    Free Member

Ace bits of kit, we have four of them in our family. The only one im not keen on is the very newest shape.

db

I have 59reg 1.6 90bhp vtr

Had it from new and now done 35,000

Never had a problem with speed and it will sit well over 90 all day (as the South Yorks Police and my license confirms.

I added air con and cruise control when I ordered which are both useful. So far only cost has been 4 tires + normal services. The computer says 41mpg avg which is fast motorway driving.

The rear seats do remove totally but are heavy to lift in and out.

The car is great for camping and biking. I added a tow bar and decent roof rack (the roof hold 100kg which is more than a lot of cars). Big loads like 4 adults, 3 canoes on roof, 3 bikes (on towbar) and camping gear in boot just get swallowed up.

I’m 6’5 and find the comfort OK. Upright position is good for me but would understand others may not like the footbox position.

Check out Amdro for a little camping conversion (which can be lifted out.

Cheers
    db

stanley

On my second one 🙂

First was an 05 2.0 HDi. Owned it from new. Bloody brilliant car! 70,000+miles, no problems apart from the fact that the clutch was dead heavy.

Bought a new 1.6 HDi VTR in January. Only changed because the new one has a lighter clutch, and it is better for my re-built left knee. New one is quieter, smoother and more car like to drive. Has better load space (had 8′ concrete posts in it this week) and is more economical (54mpg). The seats DO come out; no tools, 30 seconds.

Liked the old one best, but the new one is growing on me.

Both swallow bikes. Both “Multispace” models btw

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i have new shape berlingo multispace and the rear seats are definitely removeable witha QR
    The roof bars also are unscrewable and able to be turned into a roof rack so no expensive Thule rack as extra
    46ish mpg on the 90bhp 16 hdi engine if driven relatively frugally
    LOADS of space

andylakes

Got an 04 plate multispace, 180000 miles and still goes well. Cheap to service 45mpg, room for loads of bikes/bodies, build quality ok. drives like a van.
    A

amplebrew

The only reasons that we didn’t was that aircon wasn’t standard and whilst the rear seats fold up, they couldn’t be taken out completely.

The rear seats do remove totally but are heavy to lift in and out.

Shame the Citroen dealer didn’t know and told me they were fixed, they might have got a deal 🙁

The VTR 90 we drove was really nice and I could have probably gone without the aircon.

stanboardman
    Free Member

Not my bag, as I dont do french automobilia after previous reliability issues on a Renault. It’d be great for chucking bikes in I would ahve thought.
    As a side not, whatever you do dont get a red one or you’ll have to buy the optional extra ‘Pat pack’ which includes a large red mail sack and a black and white cat called Jess that will constantly whine at you and sit on the dashboard. You will be constantly stopped in the country lanes by country bumpkins to the tune of ‘ay up Pat. By ‘eck thats a big box thaz got for mi. 😉
    Sorry.. Couldnt resist.. I’ll get my coat 😳

alexxx
    Free Member

I’m very happy with mine, had it a couple of months now.

Its a 53 plate forte no aircon and 1.9 straight D so not much grunt over 70/80 and it clearly likes being at 60.

I’ve removed 2 of the rear seats, put extra carpet in it, waterproof seat covers and I have a official 2 bike rack on the back – can take 3 people 4 bikes and more kit that you’d ever want for a long weekends racing without a problem.

It’s a nice drive and im 6ft tall. the gearbox feels like its a bit washy so I just take it easy on it, clutch is fine.

Only problem I’ve had is the battery died due to the wrong one being fitted and my only other gripe would be the body work seems to be easily dented as it came with lots of dents!

I think they are pretty solid little things – apparently cambelt change every 40k is recommended in haynes.

aP
    Free Member

I had a 51 plate Multispace. It was great, loads of room, reliable, bit thirsty at 80mph (up the peage) and good on country roads. When people who I gave a lift to, or transported stuff for were rude about it (Noddy, Postman Pat etc) – well they could always walk back.
    Currentl have a Focus estate which has been fine, but am tempted by a new shape Multispace in the next couple of years.

wombat

My parents have an 03 plate 2.0 HDi that they’ve had from new with a (not at all massive) 30k miles on it.

I’ve used it a few times and think it’s ace, as quick as you need, comfy on a run and an absolutely cavernous load capacity.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Citroen Berlingo, opinions?’ is closed to new replies.