Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Cigarettes
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

The adverts are terrifying.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Linking the tax issue to ability to pay is a red herring, hence question to cougar about why luxuries should have the highest taxes. We tax cigarettes and the like because they have negative social costs that extend well beyond the cost of the fags themselves.

Asking people to pay (more) for the full social (negative) costs of an activity like smoking is morally more supportable than asking people to pay more simple because it is more expensive. The latter, falls into that other well-known category…

The reruns of the health videos with the mutations at the moment is also a good idea IMO

Good luck to anyone trying to give up BTW

Junkyard
    Free Member

Linking the tax issue to ability to pay is a red herring,

What an odd statement what do you think we link it to then if not ability to pay?This has nothing to do with whether tax should be progressive and re distributive but its , clearly, patently absurd to tax those who cannot pay.
    You have yet to explain why you think we dont tax luxuries more BTW as well as stating things you have to show your working as your rational is less than clear.
    FWIW i agree fags are taxed to discourage behaviour due to the social costs and , of course, because [ some] addicts will keep paying whatever the price so its a good cash cow.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s Alec Salmond’s fault isn’t it?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think it’s your fault, DD.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I accept full responsibility. 🙁

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Cigarettes’ is closed to new replies.