Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Christmas Eve traffic – what's it like?
  • robdob
    Free Member

I am heading from West Yorkshire to Farnborough to have Christmas with Mr and Mrs PeterPoddy (awaits comments……)
    I will be going the length of the M1 and around the NW quarter of the M25. I’ve never travelled anywhere for Christmas so don’t know what to expect. Starting at 6pm, probably get there before 11pm.

So what’s it like usually? I am used to commuting on the M62…

allthepies
    Free Member

The M1 has several 50mph average speed limit sections due to works as does the M3 (including the Farnborough junctions). Christmas Eve travel can vary wildly, there’s always predictions of doom and gloom but I’ve had great journeys in the past (a long time ago mind you).

Good luck 🙂

Drac

There was a guy on the radio earlier said it’s top to to toe in tailbacks.

allthepies
    Free Member

google maps traffic is looking good currently.

binners

Don’t forget to take supplies, a snow shovel, a flask of coffee and a blanket. You never know if snowmageddon might strike 😉

ThePinkster
    jam-bo

roads were deserted on my drive to work this morning.

i think they were all in morrisons.

robdob
    Free Member

There was a guy on the radio earlier said it’s top to to toe in tailbacks.

http://sniffpetrol.com/2002/12/25/festive-fears-for-rea-2/#.VJlfJAgEM 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Yes, I understand I can get live traffic updates…. 🙄

I am travelling at 6pm.

thatscold
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go M1 & M25. I’d recommend M1, M69, M40, A404, M4 then cut across to Farnborough.
    You’ll miss one of the long road work sections on the M1 and avoid the M25 carpark completely. A more interesting journey too.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

We’re just about to head down the M6 – wish us luck!

D0NK

Yes, I understand I can get live traffic updates….

I am travelling at 6pm.Have you tried the psychictrackworld.com forum?

I should think the difference between an OK journey and a godawful one tonight is probably more down to weather and an idiot or two crashing rather than volume of traffic.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes, I understand I can get live traffic updates…. 🙄

You seem like a fun time. The guy was only trying to help.

johnners
    Free Member

There aren’t any super-secret quiet but quick routes down from W Yorks to the South East, sorry to disappoint! M1/M25 will be as good as any, you’ll just have to take your chances like everyone else. Live routing on the satnav might help avoid any random nasties but FWIW I’d guess you’ll be fine with a 6 o’clock departure.

robdob
    Free Member

I think I’ve tried all the routes, going around Manchester and down the M6, down the M1 and the M42/M40 (IIRC) route. All pretty much the same, but the M1 route is the shortest (210 miles) by 20 miles.

Generally I’d travel during the day or late at night but I know traffic can be very different around Xmas so was wondering if it would be more busy/less busy than usual.

Hoping the weather will hold to make the journey nicer, but also to reduce the chances of accidents holding things up.

Pigface
    Free Member

Will you be wearing a gimpsuit tomorrow as the Turkey is carved? 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Personal opinion… But for hitting the south at that time of day I prefer the A1 to the M1, plus I think it’s likely to be easier around the Midlands too.

funkynick

I’d suggest going down the M1, A43, M40, A404(M) and then wiggle across on the back roads to Bracknell and then Farnborough.

I’d absolutely avoid the M25, especially as you will have to go around the Heathrow section, which is bad at the best of times!

br
    Free Member

Hoping the weather will hold to make the journey nicer,

It’ll be dark and you’re on a motorway…

Murray

By 6pm all will be fine – everyone will be too busy drinking. I’d avoid the M25 unless the satnav says it is clear.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvDxSW8mzvU[/video]
    Thankfully long gone are the days when I’m driving home (having driven for several hours in the wrong direction to return to the office before finally setting off)

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader!
    Yes, I understand I can get live traffic updates….
    You seem like a fun time. The guy was only trying to help.

I concur. OP is lacking in Christmas spirit, somewhat. 😆

robdob
    Free Member

I’d happily have green skin if I could have that sweet car!

I’ve never found the M25 to be that bad. Never been on it at usual commuter rush hour to be fair, but been on at all other times. Can be busy but not normally slow. Should be ok at 9-10pm I reckon.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve never found the M25 to be that bad. Never been on it at usual commuter rush hour to be fair, but been on at all other times. Can be busy but not normally slow. Should be ok at 9-10pm I recon

😆 😆 😆
    The
    It’s the M25 round London they’re talking about. Good luck with it on Christmas eve. You’ll need it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve never found the M25 to be that bad. Never been on it at usual commuter rush hour to be fair, but been on at all other times. Can be busy but not normally slow. Should be ok at 9-10pm I reckon.

West London M3 has been very quiet this week. At the time you’ll be hitting the 25 I reckon it’ll be not far off empty to be honest.
    I usually go M1-A42-M40-A404-M4-A329 form your house but tonight I’d go M1-M25-M3 I think.
    If you need dinner let me know ASAP but I think you’ll eat on the way down…?

EDIT
    M25 is showing crystal clear now.
    M3 form there to us is all 50mph now, although that won’t cost you more than 2 minutes.

markshires
    Free Member

I used to travel the opposite way to you on Xmas eve after work for a few years from basingstoke. It was never that bad to be honest.

dpfr

M1 south through Derbyshire was Ok earlier this afternoon apart from two dickheads undertaking traffic at speed through the 50 limited roadworks. Both in Audis….. I hope the cameras were switched on.

robdob
    Free Member

As a conclusion to all this, got here safe and sound. Barely any traffic compared to usual on M1 in Yorkshire, reduced down to very little/almost none closer I got to London. m25 barely any cars on it at 10pm, even less on the M3. Never had to reduce my speed from the posted limits!

And it was dry too, always makes it easier.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Eve traffic – what's it like?’ is closed to new replies.