Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Landrover double cab
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Thinking about one of these, wondering if anyone elsedrives a doublecab pick up
    thought back would be good for muddy bikes and gear but obvious security problems
    Ifor williams canopy colour coded wasa thought
    What are folks thoughts on day to day use for a family of 5

trail_rat
    Free Member

The rear is terrible for bikes in the 110 and 130s are pretty rate. – its a 90 tub on the 90 and a 110tub on the 130and to get a bike in mine needs both wheels off , a 110 tub swallows whole bikes.

An ifor canopy is not secure

Colour coding an ifor will look horrendous

I did enjoy driving mine though despite all its faults (its in pieces having a rebuild atm i liked it that much)
    For a day to day family wagon id look at least at a county station wagon (csw)

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve got a 90 Hard Top, and it’s possible to get one bike in by removing the front wheel and lying it on it’s side across the wheel boxes. It’s not a very long load bay. Any slightly unusual bike can be difficult to load (ie anything with mudguards or racks). You can carry stuff under the bike, and even pile stuff on top, but it gets a bit disorganised, especially if the bike is dirty!

If you have an open tub it might be possible to put some runners down to stand the bikes upright and clamp the forks etc.

I’m not sure how comfy the seats are in a CSW, especially for adults – it’s been a while since I looked at one, but I don’t think I’d like to be a passenger on a long journey.

geoffj

Unless you need the off-road capabity of a defender, I’d be tempted to go for another type of double cab. The defender is showing its age in terms of practicality, comfort and safety.
    Oh and there are plenty of double cab haters on here.
    I have a ford ranger double cab which works well for us. Not a great deal of legroom in the back though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Although they look big from the outside defenders arent really that big. If Im carting Mrs Stoner’s bike on the back of mine I’ll use a small folding ball mounted rack rather than faff about taking wheels off to get it in the boot of a 110 CSW

trail_rat
    Free Member

What geoff said ill be honest.

Mines is being reincarnated with bucket seats , roll cage and limited slip diffs , its not for commuting and popping to the shops.

I had friends who went 12 up with bikes in a 110csw to morzine from dundee

When on the ferry bikes were removed from the roof and put inside in pieces.

I dont think they did that again.

Stoner
    Free Member

Good grief! That sounds like purgatory! I find the second row seats uncomfortable just sat on the drive, let alone travelling 20+hrs in the boot seats!

deejayen
    Free Member

Is that a typo, or did you really mean twelve people & bikes?

geoffj

😯

For a bit more context, I owned a 110 hardtop for a few years. The character of it was great – we used it as the wedding car, and toured France in it on a couple of occasions. The upright, arm out the window driving position for anyone above 5′ 8″ can become tiresome on longer journeys.

In some ways I do miss it though.

deejayen
    Free Member

When I bought my first one the garage let me borrow one for a long weekend to let me see if I got on with it.

I remember feeling a bit apprehensive after buying my first one, knowing that I’d be stuck with it for a few years. However, I’m now on my third, and I’ve driven this one 200,000 miles. I’ve never looked at another car (apart from very recently after someone on here mentioned the Maxda MX-5).

I’m 6ft and I find them extremely comfortable. However, I am slim, so I’m not trapped against the door when driving.

Duffer
    Free Member

The defender is showing its age

It was showing its age when it was introduced 25 years ago!

As practical family transport, i suspect you’re barking up the wrong tree. As a second car / toy, then you may well love it!

backinireland
    Free Member

Had a td 5 110 csw
    Currently drive a d3 but hankering after a defender
    Also have a grand Picasso so this more for mucky stuff
    Was thinking defender will hold value well as stopping making them

mattsccm
    Free Member

The pickup bed in a 110 double cab is quite possibly the smallest pickup bed made by anyone other than Tonka. Not as big as a 90 pickup bed. If that’s what you want for bikes then buy a single cab jap pickup. Nowt else will take them complete and upright. Maybe a 130 might especially with a hi cap bed. Now that’s what I want. I just shove 2 or 3 in my 110 CSW with the 2nd row of seats forward. Or some of them anyway.
    Never found comfort a issue. The only reason mine doesn’t go everywhere for holidays is fuel comsumption.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Prices on defender have risen silly since they anounced the stop. Probably why they kept announcing every year they were stoppign them next year.

Late 300 tdis seem to be holding their value best atm.

cozz
    Free Member

double cabs arent he best for space

although same size the 110 utility is better to use, rear seats fold down, more secure, much more versatile

i got one, love it

backinireland
    Free Member

Going to borrow one to try.
    Living in ni there’s not too many about
    Haven’t driven the new tranny engined one yet
    Think I’d prefer a csw

burko73

Get a ranger. Cheap, cheerful and go most places with a bit of thinking and decent tyres. I bought my 2003 model for 3.5k with 70k miles and it’s great. It was a punt for work but I actually enjoy driving it…. I’ve driven lrs and just can’t cope with them any more, even new ones.

timber

Access team at work have a 110 crewcab. The back is miserably small, would even say a Mondeo estate boot is bigger. Rear seat passengers over 5 foot will probably want to take the bus next time.

We run a 130, back end is bigger than the hi-lux’ the estates teams have and the cab is a touch longer and the rear seats lower than the 110, so you can get adult sized passengers in the back.

Colour coded canopy? Thought we were doing well to have colour coded body panels.

MussEd
    Free Member

although same size the 110 utility is better to use, rear seats fold down, more secure, much more versatile
    i got one, love it

I’m with you on this. The second row seats split, easily folded. Bike(large 29er)goes in with both wheels on. If I’m taking a pal, all seats go down. Also got a tow ball rack for 4 bikes.

freeagent
    Free Member

Had a 110 hardtop as a daily driver for 6 years.
    furthest I drove it was home to London from Munich in one hit.
    I loved it at the time, but wouldn’t have another as my only car.

might get another one for camping/adventures though…

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Still got it then Cozz? Thought you’d have swapped it by now 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

What are folks thoughts on day to day use for a family of 5

not safe enough imo.

i know someone who was in one that rolled – he reckons a normal car wouldn’t have gone over.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah GW love it

but went into ownership eyes open

15,000 so far, and no probs

backinireland
    Free Member
    backinireland
    Free Member

Well had it for weekend.
    Transit engine and 6 speed gearbox seems good, certainly could live with it whereas I had to get the td 5 remapped
    Heater works well compared to td 5
    There was a shelf across the seat boxes in the back.
    Kit below and had two bikes with a wheel off in back
    Lockable sliding drawer would be a good trick
    I’d also put the spare wheel on a carrier to free up space
    Back seat cramped though, kids are six months, three and six so all in child seats and we really struggled to get them in

Wondering if rear seats in a csw are any better

cozz
    Free Member

the access to rear seats can be made much better by fitting different brackets that allow the doors to open nearly 90 degrees, thats what id do it loading kids in the back

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/gmb-2nd-row-door-extenders.html

backinireland
    Free Member

Was more trying to fit two of these
    http://www.johnlewis.com/recaro-young-sport-car-seat-black/p231778991
    And then a rear facing seat, the rear facing seat required the front s e at to be moved forward to get it in

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Landrover double cab’ is closed to new replies.