Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Christmas Dinner… how much can/do you prepare in advance?
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

cooking for the wifes family tomorrow and the plan is to prepare as much in advance as possible…

so the question is, well its the thread title really 🙄

plans so far is:

prepare sprouts in salted butter and chunky gammon bits, pre-boil the potatoes for roasting, probably sort the carrots tonight but i’ll no doubt change my mind and roast them tomorrow anyway along with the parsnips in honey.

DAMMIT I FORGOT TO BUY MORE HONEY!

the pheasant and 4 bird roast will have to be done tomorrow along with the roasting of the actual potatoes/carrots/parsnips, boiling the green beans, some chopped carrots, brocolli, peas.

bread sauce is already prepared so thats just warming up and adding milk to taste, christmas cakes in the cupboard, chocolate cheesecake is done and just needs some chocolate flake sprinkled on top

DAMMIT I FORGOT TO BUY THE FLAKES!

sweet potatoes are going to be roasted so no prep for them as yet…

ummmm yeah… whats your plans, what obvious stuff am i missing that i could do tonight instead of tomorrow?

we’ve only got a small oven and hob!

mouths watering already

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chop it all steam the greens lots of stacked steamers saves space and doesn’t overcook.

Other top tip is cook enough for your guests for the 1 meal not 12

philconsequence
    Free Member

no steamer here 🙁 i’m not a bad cook though so despite the apparent ignorance in the opening question i’ll be able to get all the veg prepared and cooked so they’re not overcooked 🙂

its all about space on the hob frustratingly

TIN FOIL… dammit that’s got to go on the list too.

shifter
    Free Member

In advance; book table. On the day; arrive on time, eat.

psling
    Free Member

Do all your (non roasting) veg tonight, blanch in freezing water for 30 seconds, wrap in cling film (you haven’t FORGOTTEN CLING FILM have you?) and leave overnight in fridge. Heat to suit tomorrow, prepare a honey glaze reduction if required. I am not a chef and may be talking b0ll0x, I leave the cooking to others (perhaps advisedly…). 8)

theblackmount
    Free Member

7 vegeatables? Streuth, hope they lie their Greens 😉

Ditch the bread sauce – there’s one saving for you.

Jamie
    Free Member

Don’t do what my brother is doing. Offer to cook Xmas dinner, then at the last minute say he won’t be about till 2-ish, due to reasons i’m too pissed off to go into.

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh i’ve added carrot and swede mash and some cauliflower cheese to the table now 😆

may the wife’s family never say that i don’t provide dem vegetables or birds!

trevron73
    Free Member

psling -has got the right idea,
    Blanch (pre cook) until crunchy all the veg and then run under cold tap /iced water (re fresh ) then place all veg in bowls in the fridge ,top tip if you have a garage and or shed foods can be stored overnight in there (its only 1 night )your eating it the morrow if its 5c or 6c food will be fine .keep the fridge for the bubbbly/and /or/beers .If your Turkey is in the freezer get it out now leave it in the kitchen not he fridge .A 3 or 4 kilo turkey will take 20 hours to defrost at room temp (21 years)
    Happy Christmas

druidh
    Free Member

Pre-cook everything and just microwave it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Dinner… how much can/do you prepare in advance?’ is closed to new replies.