Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Which pub/restaurant serves the best pies in the world?
  • dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

It’s the Fisherman’s Retreat. Steak from their own herd, proper pastry, a lake of gravy and a mountain of chips. Just the job if you’ve walked over the moors to get there.

Some of their stuff is very nice. Not been for a while as it seemed to get expensive. Shame as it’s only 2 mins from me.

binners

Cheers for the local recommendations folks. I’m spoilt for choice now. I was at a wedding at the Fishermans the other week, and the food was very good indeedy

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

The compass inn, surrey, we stayed there whilst doing work nr the area, and we were spoilt!! Award winning homemade pies, good prices, i had a sausage, caramalised onion pork and black pudding, with a amazing thick hm gravy and chips peas n carrots, far too good for contractors!!

ransos
    Free Member

Cheers for the local recommendations folks. I’m spoilt for choice now. I was at a wedding at the Fishermans the other week, and the food was very good indeedy

I’m glad to hear it! My sister’s getting married there next year.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m sorry binners, I do apologise.

I was feeling a bit grumpy and then found the wife had used all the beef paste up for her butties. I’ve had to have pate on mine today which has nearly made me foreign…

I’ve just ridden past that shop in Hurst Cross, I should have bought one for my afternoon tea!

tops5
    Free Member

Ship inn at Latham near southport – steak pie with bacon pastry mmmmmm

binners

Its a fantastic wedding venue Ransos. It was a lovely day. The canapes when we arrived went down particularly well. Bloody gorgeous!

grievoustim
    Free Member

Pie night at The Constant Service in Brighton is very good, wash it down with a pint of Harvey’s.

It’s on Monday’s unfortunately, which is one of the nights I have my kids – so I rarely get to take advantage

mildred

An Appleton’s Pork Pie from the Royal Oak at Ripon.

As a Yorkshireman the Only pie is a pork pie.

crikey
    Free Member

Canapes?

You’re doing it on purpose!

binners

Seriously… they were to die for daaaaaaaaahling

😉

zippykona

Queens head ,Icklesham near Rye do an excellent lamb and mint pie.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can’o’pies ?

Eh? Like in a tin or sumfin?

crikey
    Free Member

I had some oysters a while ago; I ate 6 but only one of them worked…

Bunnyhop

binners – that pie you baked looks so yummy, maybe you should open your own pie shop, just think how much money you’d save?
    Maybe profits would be in your tum though!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

A student friend of mine made a “special” pie for his housemates as his mum was an amazing cook n made him meals and they kept stealing them, hey presto a chubb (shit dog food) pie was created, was consumed overnight by his housemates and they asked for another!!! Still to this day they dont know lol

D0NK

Bitter End Cockermouth or Kirkstyle up the valley

both of which sound rude/euphemism.
    Don’t do pies in restaurants, pies should be individual sized and eaten stood up or in the wilds, cutlery should not be involved.

Armstrongs bakers Morris green and tebay services both do cracking pies.

meatless pies you say?
    guess which is meatless and which is a proper pie

portlyone

What about Pi in *ahem* Chorlton? More of a bar than a pub I guess but the pies are good (Pie minster)

http://www.pi-chorlton.co.uk/PiChorlton/Pies.html

binners

Tebay services Donk? You’ll be referring to their ‘Growlers’, I presume? We always stock up when passing

portlyone – I used to live just down the road from Pi, and the Pie minster pies are indeed fantastic!

D0NK

quite partial to the lamb&damson myself and of course the westmorland pie – yes I know it’s sold by the slice so breaks my own rules but it is gorgeous. or atleast it used to be, last one I had was distinctly average dunno if they’ve changed the recipe or baker was just having an off day.

will
    Free Member

This one at a pub in Keswick:

Can’t remember the name mind

Cougar

The canapes when we arrived went down particularly well.

Remember that Northernness you were leaking on Page 1? I think it’s just run out. You need a gravy IV, and quick.

Someone keep an eye on him? If he starts asking for vol-au-vents and a nice glass of rosé then he needs putting out of his misery. It’s the kindest way.

Coyote
    Free Member

Will. That is not a pie.

tracknicko
    Free Member

thats a pastie in a mug?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Dont be nasty
    Have a pastie
    Ivor Dewdneys pasties Plymouth, a geniune janner standeasy snack.

binners

a nice glass of rosé

I was thinking more…

Will… is that puff pastry? Puff party is a crime against pie-dom!

crikey
    Free Member

Puff party is a crime against pie-dom!

I suspect this doesn’t read exactly as you wanted it to…

Coyote
    Free Member

🙂 😀 😆

binners

Oops! I can’t work out if that’s a good or a bad thing 😆

will
    Free Member

😆 Fair comment I guess. Still it was very nice.

This any better? From The Castle in Castleton.

binners

Now that’s a pie! 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

bit small. honestly go to fagans. you get the whole pie (from a pie that size) rather than a slice.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Two pubs I remember having cracking pies – the Black Rabbit in Arundel, Sussex, which did the best chicken, ham and leek pie I’ve ever tasted, washed down with lashings of Hall and Woodhouse ales And the Volunteer Rifleman in Bath, in a wee street near the rugby ground – think it’s a rugger-bugger’s pub. It did far and away the best steak and kidney pie I’ve ever had. And I don’t even like kidney.

portlyone

Actually the pie I had in the Comedy Club in Manchester was no laughing matter… ba-dum-tissshhhh

fubar
    Free Member

Mill Inn in Mungrisdale

That’s the place I was thinking of….multiple pie variations on the menu plus the ability to order pies and take them home (but the website doesn’t mention any of that).
    Julie Bradbury was in when I went and I think I stood on her foot.

ourmaninthenorth

Ship inn at Latham near southport – steak pie with bacon pastry mmmmmm

I can almost see the place from my house. Might have to give it a whirl. i hear it’s much improved from days of old. It’ll have to be good to keep them away from the Eagle and Child*

*which has had a fantastic chicken pie on now and again. but it’s not the sort of pub crikey would approve of…. and none of you must go. Ever.

Drac

3 Wise Monkeys Alnwick, proper steak and Ale pies made at a small home bakers with local beer. They were designed for the pub to be the perfect pie, lots of filling and not too runny so you can bite the pie without it becoming a Banjo pie whilst enjoying your pint.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Theres a pork pie shop next to the bridge in Skipton that does the best pork pies anywhere

Tracey

Pie Sunday at the Wagon and Horses in Langsett after doing Cutt Gate

lunge

Now you can’t go there tonight but all the best pies I have tasted were in New Zealand. Even the steak and cheese ones from petrol stations were amazing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Which pub/restaurant serves the best pies in the world?’ is closed to new replies.