• This topic has 51 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wicki.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Christmas and Inlaws
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Perhaps a bit early, but over at my parents for Christmas, and thought about this thread for some reason….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-n-l-a-w-s/page/2

…and one of my favorite ever posts on here….

oldschool – Member

Ha amateur the lot of you. We pulled up at the outlaws, got the dog out who had a pee (only a pee and still outside). MIL not happy flailing arms, shaking if the head at the window. Back in the car and home, not even 1 word spoken and we’ve fallen out.
    The Boxing Day fillet steak for tea I think.

myti
    Free Member

Lol I remember that. Hopefully some equally amusing this year.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Ha! Fair play!

My father in law is good as gold, but the other one…….!
    She has a screech, not a voice.

Bregante

For the first time in four years we will be spending Christmas at home – just the four of us. I love my in-laws dearly but this year they are 260 miles away – and I can’t **** wait.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I’m about to endure 5 days, wish me luck.

angeldust
    Free Member

Sadly, I am unable to contribute to Christmas inlaw threads as I go my parents every year, while my partner (of 15 years) alternates each year – either joining me, or visiting her parents. I’m sure this makes me a terrible person, but it’s best for all involved really. I actually get on with them (well, tolerate them) okay, but have no desire to spend that much time with them, or even pretend to be happy to do so. Yes, I have a very understanding partner.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hmmph, have MiL, FiL, BiL (freshly out of job AGAIN, his own doing AGAIN), BiL’s hideous GF for Xmas and I cannot even drink myself into a stupor as I’m the Man from Oncle. ???.
    FiL will no doubt say something to upset Mrs M and MiL will drink everything in sight.
    BiL and GF will want to smoke it’ll be outside with door shut whatever the weather.
    Sod the new patio, it’ll be a helipad

trail_rat
    Free Member

Am I in minority of liking in-laws Inc both the bro and sis in-laws.

All nice people 🙂

Drac

For the first time in about 5 years we are going to the MIL for dinner as I’m back at work all next week.

Can’t wait her only fault is the beef will be in for hours.

anagallis_arvensis

Just read my contribution to the the thread linked above….you miss them when there gone!

trail_rat
    Free Member

he beef will be in for hours

Just turn the temperature dial down in the passing

Most beef folk buy should be cooked low and slow anyway

cheers_drive

Will be in Denmark with mine, FIL is great but speaks little English, MIL is a well MIL but it’s ok, BIL and family will allow be there a few days which is less that ideal as the house is small they have 3 young feral kids and they don’t help the MAIL despite her struggling since having a mini stroke.
    I’ve now got a bike over there which is my escape

pondo

My inlaws are pretty sound, if not party people (which is not a crime), but they are a little fixated on their two grandchildren. So it’ll be great to have them round, but only beer will get me through a whole day of “******* did this!” and “****** did that!” We have other family on hand this year tobhelp deflect and/or share the burden. 🙂

Drac

Most beef folk buy should be cooked low and slow anyway

Not in my case.

Which is why I don’t want it in for hours.

curto80
    Free Member

Just say no

MrOvershoot

trail_rat – Member

All nice people

Not just you, mine are are all really loving kind people who try to help with my caring for my wife & I look forward to spending time with them.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’m happy to live in a big house in a nicer part of Sheffield than we could afford to because we bought it with, and share it with my MiL. She’s easy going, tidies up a lot, looks after the kids (a lot), doesn’t go out after dark (babysitting ahoy!) it works well for our family.

However if I had to stay with my own parents, for more than two nights, there would be a murder. They do my head in!

This Christmas will be us 5 plus BiL and SiL plus a couple of friends. Happy days

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ah well drac you’ll just have to find time to microwave yer own

You realise beef done for hours harks back to when people made do and could only afford cheap cuts which had to be cooked low and slow to break down the fat tissues that made them tough

Old habits die hard. My nuns the same even on good meat

How ever low slow cooked cheap meat is wonderful when done right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Old habits die hard. My nuns the same even on good meat

Deliberate 😉 ?
    Well think it could be solo this year, family is all about as far away as you can get, had an invite from some friends but heard the magic words “I’ve just go so much to do for Christmas” that indicate massive amounts of passive aggression so a long bike ride and some nice wine later I think unless the lottery comes off tonight then it will be First Class back home

Yak

Phew, MIL pre Christmas trip done and just back now. Kids only broke 2 things and I only challenged the casual racism once. (many opportunities). So by our usual standards, pretty good.

rOcKeTdOg

I wish my mom knew it was Christmas, dementia is shit

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah enjoy your “few days” with inlaws

Mine come out to oz for 6 months a year. Last year it was longer as FIL had a heart issue and they wouldn’t let him fly until the cardiologist cleared him.

Few days…. pah.

Bregante

I wish my mom knew it was Christmas, dementia is shit

With you there rd.

Drac

It’s a **** horrible illness.

funkmasterp

All nice people

I’m with you Trailrat. Will be at the wife’s parents house from Saturday until Wednesday and can’t wait. BiL will also be there and he’s basically my younger brother.

We are the proud owners of the only Grandchild and they are great with him. Means mum and me will get some time to chill and actually talk. I sometimes find it difficult coping with how nice they are to be honest.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My wife and I split up so no in laws (I.e. trip to USA) to worry about.
    Christmas at my sister’s with her husband (we get on well), nephew (5 yrs old – great time to be an uncle) and my mum and dad.
    Go over on Christmas Eve with a keg of Mikkeller Red/White Christmas I brewed.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love my inlaws, both are truly fantastic people. Not seeing them over Christmas so we are having a get together tonight instead. Should be a cracking night .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, best of luck rocketdog.

I’ll sup a pint and think of all those people who for some reason can not understand nor comprehend what’s going on around them.

Inlaws, well they can be enjoyed/endured/embellished for a few days, illness like RD’s mother has is not easily forgotten.

theotherjonv

MiL coming to us on Friday; BiL and his new gf coming Saturday for lunch because he’s on duty christmas day (prison officer)

MiL is mainly tolerable, although we did have a big Brexit row last time we saw her. Tolerable enough that after she goes home on Boxing Day, we’ll then be going to hers for a couple of days as well.

BiL – I’ve written about at length on here in the past with his money troubles. But I will be welcoming and forgiving because he’s written us a long note, and then followed up with a call to my wife which ended with them both in floods of tears. He has been an idiot in the past, he knows it, and while he can’t take that back he wants to be better in the future, not least as an uncle to two nieces he’s missed out badly on seeing grow up. It sounds like his new gf despite being a bit younger than him is a smart one and she’s forcing him to confront his past properly this time, and there’s no better time than Christmas to heal rifts, so the door is open and the table is set.

Sad for those missing relatives or with relatives who are in distress this year. I always miss my FiL at these times, he died the year we were married (2000) so never saw his granddaughters. He’d have been a lot of fun at Christmas, in a party hat with a glass of wine, asleep in a chair with a face drawn on in lipstick.

Spud

We used to alternate, until one year we had all of my lot here. Ended very badly, vowed never to again. Since then we’ve had it at home just the four of us and it’s always great, so relaxed. For the first time ever this year my in-laws are coming – they only live on the next road, we get on great, sadly this might be the MIL’s last Christmas with us with the Big C doing its worst, so it’s all out for her to have as good a day as we all can together. I’m looking forward to it, after MrsSpud’s illness our motto is making memories.. and so we shall..

senorj

This is our first Christmas darn sarf , the in-laws were coming.
    The SIL cried off sick. And now the FIL has cried off.
    Any one want a cheap turkey?
    Incredibly ,that’s his third sick Christmas in a row. Perhaps he’s the Grinch.
    Secretly & selfishly I’m looking forward to it being just us.
    However ,the missus is now in a low way. 😐

@rdog – sorry about your mother.

epicyclo

This year I will be the in-laws (visiting)

Any tips on how to maximise the compulsory Xmas in-law obnoxiousity will be welcomed so I don’t have to do this again next year. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Mine are fine as the saying goes
    We just eat, drink and be merry

hammyuk
    Free Member

No inlaws now – being single has its perks.
    No more of the “it’s x’s turn to host” and FIL being Santa and the kids each handing out presents one at a time – for about 4 f’ing hours…..
    Looking clear so the 14R will be coming out for a damn good clear out, mates for lunch as he missed catching up last week for my b’day.
    My 2 here today for our “xmas” – no cooking, chill today, pressies tomorrow and a meal out.
    Simple.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My inlaws are great folk, I really enjoy them coming over, as my MIL did it for years and now enjoys the grandkids and being waited on.

Xmas day with them is great.

mattbee

I too love my in laws. We’ve done Christmas with them for the last 15 years & this year intended to have our first Christmas on our own in the caravan, then go to them on Boxing Day. When my wife told her mum there were floods of tears, she was so disappointed we changed our plans. They are in their 70s & they do so much for us anyway, what’s a couple of days in the grand scheme of things?

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Christmas used to be held at my Mum and Dad’s house. That stopped after my mum died 4 years ago and Dad passed last year.

In-laws for my Sister’s Husband, Brother’s Wife and my then wife would all be invited, including my mum’s first husband. We’d have a fantastic time together. The exWife and her Mum don’t get on so that would be a bit frosty.

This year I’m at my sister’s on Christmas Eve for Turkey dinner. Pick my two kids up at 2pm on Christmas Day. A quick stop off at the Ex MiL, she and the ex don’t speak (not even met her new Son in Law). I think it’s important that the kids have some connection to that side of the family so I’ll put up with 1/2hr of being asked questions about her daughter I can’t answer. Then we’re off to my sister’s for games and fun with their cousins!

DrJ

In-laws were really lovely but no longer with us. This year will be with my sister. Her in-laws are staunch Brexshiters, so will be interesting to see what they say about MrsJ at risk of deportation due to their “taking back control”. Could be fisticuffs over the Christmas pud.

woody2000

As a few others have said, I’m in the fortunate position of having great inlaws who I get on with really well and enjoy spending time with. Xmas day will be a bit of a runaround, brother’s house for dinner then to the MILs house for the evening. Boxing day back at the MILs house for round 2 of the food fest 🙂

Sadly, like RD, my FIL has dementia and will be in respite care over the xmas period to give his live in carer (and us) a bit of a break. Shite, but that’s the way it is unfortunately. He struggles with noise and can get agitated when the kids are around, especially if they are in boisterous mood. Will put a dampener on things this year, but we’ll try and do as much with him as we can.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Unusually for us we’ve not got any family visiting on Christmas this year so it’s just us and the 2 kids, so should be chilled. We used to always have my FiL but he died a couple of years ago (the MiL passed away over 20 years ago) and most years my SiL and her family. Gets a little complicated as SiL’s family are veggies and we’re not, but no particular issue other than lots of cooking to do.

My kids are older (25 and nearly 21) so suspect there won’t be too many more years when both of them are with us at Christmas.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Christmas and Inlaws’ is closed to new replies.