Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • I N L A W S !
  • wrecker
    Free Member

There are going to be some upsets at this rate……….

athgray
    Free Member

I have just built a wooden train set for the kids in the morning. MIL and FIL are fighting over it as I write this. OP post needs a like button.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m visiting my son and his partner tomorrow. I hope I’ll be better behaved than some mentioned here. Sadly getting bladdered isn’t an option.

anagallis_arvensis

I have the mother in law, currently too pissed to go to midnight mass, mrs anagallis pleased. Sister in law currently eating everything, I just hope she doesnt mistake the dog for food, my mum who is deaf and drunk and the step dad who is just grumpy. I mumbled something about being worried santa wouldnt come and have left the to.whatever shit is on the telly. Must not kill anyone.

neilco
    Free Member

Just back from mine – we do dinner here in Denmark on the 24th. Even managed it sober as was my turn to drive. No problems, actually enjoy their company. Even the wife’s spoilt nieces were not too bad. Loads of kids the so my daughter loved it. Bit calmer this year on presents so that helped make the day a bit more bearable. Get to do English Christmas tomorrow, then my parents are out for New Years Eve. All good.

JulianA
    Free Member

Just the two of us and the two cats on Christmas Day. Presents, a walk, fizz, port, dinner with chardonnay and dessert with sauternes. Maybe some more port after that. Bliss.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

😆
    Ahhh! The upside of divorce… quiet evening drinking wine eating chocolate, no racism, bigotry or passive aggressive behaviour.

Merry Christmas STW! 😀

Hohum
    Free Member

Mine will be arriving just after midday.

Maybe I am lucky but I really enjoy seeing them, particularly at this time of year.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

No in’laws til boxing day. Tomorrow is presents, smoked salmon blinis and bucks fizz before going for a posh curry with friends.
    MsD’s parents are rather old fashioned and right wing so i’m expected to keep my red banner to myself 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

been with my other half for 6 years, met her mother twice (who she she’s probably 3/4 times a week) never met her dad

wiggles
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    been with my other half for 6 years, met her mother twice (who she she’s probably 3/4 times a week) never met her dad

When you met her mum did she make you wear a bag on your head? or say you were her gay friend?

My missus hasn’t seen her mum since she was kicked out when she was 15 so I don’t have to see her, just her dad that is ok apart from the usual daily mail-esque viewpoints every now and again….

Scapegoat

MIL v 1.0 has been downloaded and installed here. Not quite as entertaining as last year so far, as she’s been weaned off the Tramadol. That stuff led to some bizarre conversations about the film Ted (she woke up during the Thunder Song) last year. 😀

Mrs Scape and I have had a little jape this evening. I’ve been straining all my hedgerow liqueurs, and managed, by stealth, to get her to try Damson Gin, Sloe Gin, Apple and Blackberry Gin, Bramble Whisky and Damson Vodka. She isn’t used to drinking, and so we’ve watched her slowly getting to the stage where I had to position my lad on the stairs to see her safely down to bed. Bless.

Mrs Scape started to offer “advice” on my conduct, until I reminded her of the time she gave my octogenarian mother a Gin and Tonic that would have anaesthetised a carthorse, and we had to prop her up for Sunday lunch.

Happy Christmas all!

jamj1974

oldboy – Member
    All diplomatic relations with the inlaws ended very recently here. Apparently over something that occurred in May!
    WTF?

My father-in-law did that to me one year… Shame because it upset his wife – who was the nicest of people and I had not actually done anything. All in his mind…

tomaso
    Free Member

Good news is even cheap Black Pudding is great in Wigan! Although it was difficult to tell the difference between the sausage and bread :mrgreen:

The orgy of present unwrapping has subsided and its just the stupid dog that is still going potty!

I normally escape to the kitchen to cook for most of the day getting quietly ratted, but I might actually have to be civil this year 😯

Merry Christmas!

franksinatra

Many things annoy me about the Mil, these are the things that are really testing me so far this year.

1. Carrier bags, full of stuff, left all over the house
    2. Constant irrational panic about losing things like mobile, usually found in one of the aforementioned carrier bags.
    3. Constant commentary on weather. They have a camper van parked on the drive, each outing to the van is concluded with detailed description of the weather. So far today the mediocre wind has been described as perishing and torturous.
    4. Complete inability to put anything in the bin or dishwasher, ever.
    5. The fact that even after knowing me for 15 years, she still acts so surprised when I say that I do not want to drink alcohol with breakfast.

Saccades
    Free Member

My MIL bust her ligaments yesterday, which is amusing me no end.

She’s stuck in the front room watching xmas tat, occasionally hopping very badly (no physical exercise in 30 years) on crutches to the side door for a cig.

It’s the least interfering she’s been in years 😉

Goose is on, Ham is on and it’s just gone 12 so I’ve opened the homebrew winter lager.

Life is good.

oldschool

Ha amateur the lot of you. We pulled up at the outlaws, got the dog out who had a pee (only a pee and still outside). MIL not happy flailing arms, shaking if the head at the window. Back in the car and home, not even 1 word spoken and we’ve fallen out.
    The Boxing Day fillet steak for tea I think.

pingu66
    Free Member

Just been for traditional Xmas day lunchtime beer with mates and got home to discover OH has invited alcoholic sister to dinner . Now had to hide beer as she would not leave until it is all gone.

I will now have to endure endless inane conversations and my fantastic GF trying to keep me from relaying the patio until she is gone.

rwamartin
    Free Member

At inlaws in London. I am lucky as they’re a good lot. Off home to Wales tomorrow to see what the damage is after the storms.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Oldschool – legend.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Franksinatra – if I was making a list of things driving me up the wall for the last 48 hours those would be in my top 10.

I’ll add one – my usual 45 minute walk with the hounds, probably my favourite time of the day, taking 45 minutes to get out of he house then an hour and 30 of plodding with inane commentary and random panicking about the dogs getting lost, hurt etc

woody21
    Free Member

I’ve had a reprieve – Mrs W full of cold, didn’t want to pass it on so had to go to in-laws to collect Xmas meal and return to Mrs W. It was looking tense when I left in-laws so probably for the best

coolhandluke
    Free Member

4 of us sat on a three seater couch as selfish FiL is laying on the two seated.

Despite my hints if he wants to lie down there’s a bed upstairs, the FiL won’t move.

Think four letter word starting with a “c”

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Just had to go through the whole “family picture” fandango – luckily we have the dog with us to use as a get out clause

cloudnine
    Free Member

I swear it’s 30+? in the outlaws house.. I could be sat in a pair of shorts.
    Strange burnt roast dinner and dry as a bone turkey as per usual, even the dog kept getting it stuck in his throat as I passed most of it to him. I’ve been a bit more tolerant due to the 80mg of codeine I just found on the bathroom shelf.

ontor
    Free Member

At mine along with brother & sister in law and their son. Poor dog is exhausted we’ve been out for so many walks.

franksinatra

I want to add to my earlier list:

Gluttony
    Emmerdale
    Fear of fresh air

anagallis_arvensis

I keep getting up and saying I’m taking to dog for a walk you coming to mrs and some other keeps saying “I’ll come” excuse me I dont remember inviting you! **** leave me alone for a moment please! Step dad has now found tv remote so I’m about to be deafened!

redthunder
    Free Member

I did field archery all day at my local club.

No hassle and semi descent score but broke 3 arrows 🙁

Sandwich

Have the delight of being stuck between my mum and my wife tomorrow – the two women who mean the most to me and who bring out the worst in each other

You need to tell your mum where the boundaries are! It will help.

franksinatra

Update. Brother in law has now had bust up with his wife, all gone bad and police involved. Happening 300 miles away but MIL is in her element with a mixture of ott emotional instability and excitement. Real life eastenders, I really need to get a dog as this thread makes me realise how important they are to get out of the house.

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh you get 100 points in the Xmas Family Eye Spy book for “Police called to Xmas day family bust up”
    Top work – next year they could come to yours!

I am suffering from the less dramatic slow torture of soaps and Downtown Abbey and banal conversation.

More Leffe Blonde doctor…

I may go and see if they’ve got any opiates in the bathroom 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    Oh you get 100 points in the Xmas Family Eye Spy book for “Police called to Xmas day family bust up”
    I am suffering from the less dramatic slow torture of soaps and Downtown Abbey and banal conversation.
    More Leffe Blonde doctor
    I may go and see if they’ve got any opiates in the bathroom

Ingredients for a good night are all there if you look close enough

franksinatra

Generous but the police stuff is not at my house so 100 points may be too generous……

But then I should also get extra points given the fact that the MIL is staying in her camper van on our drive in a Meet the Fockers style!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We managed dinner with only two mildly racist and one “He’s a gay” comment which by the standards of previous years is pretty good going.

steveoath
    Free Member

How many times can you use “the baby’s tired” or “hungry” or “getting agitated with all the noise” as excuses to evade conversation?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How many times can you use “the baby’s tired” or “hungry” or “getting agitated with all the noise” as excuses to evade conversation?

Mrs mw had a partial seizure after dinner. It’s a mixed blessing, she didn’t really want to have any kind of seizure in front of my family (or anywhere else for that matter) but it was pretty mild, she’s fine now and we managed to leave with everyones blessing without having to watch Downtown Abbey.

On balance she took one for the team.

Drac

I get on well with my MIL.

But.

She insists that beef should be cooked for about 3 weeks my wife insists we cook it to her mother’s liking, it’s battle every year to get it cooked and out before either interferes. I lost last year but triumphed this year.

I bought beef dripping for the the yorkshire puds and the roasties. I got lectured for about 20 minutes on how to cook the roasties, in the end I told her I’m cooking them how I like them done. When it came around to heating the fat up the Mrs asked if were were using the beef dripping, I was at the sink cleaning stuff but the silence between her and mother meant her mother had turned her nose up. So olive all it was, my blood boiled here but I kept my cool as the rest of the year she’s great.

Then the TV, I dodged the Ice dancers as we had the Xmas Dinner then, managed to skirt a few other shows but on came Corrie. Then proceeded the MIL’s narration of what was happening and who was doing what with who and future plots, a painful hour. When that was over I reclaimed it with Indiana Jones, the wife asked what it was (look it’s her mother so she’s never seen many films) her mother declared I don’t know but it’s load of rubbish. That was it, you can knock anything but my childhood heroes from the 80s. So they were told “It’s Indiana Jones and it’s a far more believable story plot than that Corrie shite.” She did see the funny side and the Sisters in Law said she agreed with me, hmmmm!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘I N L A W S !’ is closed to new replies.