Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Christening Gifts
  • MrGrim

My 5 month old nephew is being christened in a few weeks and although I’m not a religious person I have been asked to be the Godfather.

Are there any Christening gifts the STW hive can think of that are a bit different? Not really looking to go down the route of cutlery or crockery.

Harry_the_Spider

A ball pool and 400 balls.

druidh
    Free Member

MrGrim – Member
    My 5 month old nephew is being christened in a few weeks and although I’m not a religious person I have been asked to be the Godfather.

🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A dog and a banjo.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m not a religious person I have been asked to be the Godfather.

This poses a problem in my opinion.

Unless you write a card offering him the freedom to choose his own theological path in the world.

MrGrim

druidh – Thanks for your contribution 🙄 One side of my nephews family is religious, my side is not. There is a compromise with the christening and I like the idea of being a role model to my nephew and looking out for him, but won’t be a religious influence in his life. I would rather be a part of his life than object and cause a rift.

hels
    Free Member

Surely the traditional Godfather gift is a dead horse’s head in his bed ?

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – for those that want to go OT and debate the rights and wrongs of non-Christians (me!) being godparents (me again!)

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-godfather-dilema

Can’t recall what we gave as a present – it certainly wasn’t anything traditional or religious though.

woody2000

A nice money box with a few quid in it to get him started.

Don’t worry about the religious aspect – I’m willing to bet that >90% of people who get their kids christened, do it “just because”. Or for school. Or something else completely unrelated to any religious belief.

Enjoy the day 🙂

And confirmation is when they choose “the path”, not christening.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Swiss Army knife?

redted
    Free Member

We usually give apple trees as a gift for christenings, not out of any weird hippy ideology or owt, it gives the child something to be interested in as they grow up and Saves looking round shops at all the other endless tat that you seem obliged to buy for christenings.

Cougar

although I’m not a religious person I have been asked to be the Godfather.

Yeah, I once made that mistake too. The ceremony was a singularly unpleasant experience for an atheist; I was put on the spot and had to lie about their god in front of a bunch of cooing grandparents in order to not look like a complete tool.

Can’t remember what I bought as a present, but I suspect it wasn’t anything particularly earth-shattering.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Tickets to the Science Museum!

sandwicheater

I was in a similar boat a few months ago. Didn’t want the classic money box or other tat. I opted for a hard back illustrated copy of Winnie the Pooh. Hopefully will last a life time and he may even may be able to pass to his kids one day. You can always go for Beatrix Potter box sets also. That or a voucher for a tattoo.

konabunny
    Free Member

Money in a uni/apprenticeship fund. They’ll be needing it by then…

ElShalimo

plant some trees clicky
    open a savings account for them

konabunny
    Free Member

Perhaps some of the parents who have christened their kids can tell s what percentage of “thoughtful” gifts were binned, donated or regifted!

vinnyeh

clubber
    Free Member

konabunny’s suggestion has reminded me – we got a piggy bank with some cash in to start him off.

what_tyres
    Free Member

Darwin’s Origin of the Species and Dawkin’s God Delusion.

peteimpreza

what_tyres beat me to it!!

project
    Free Member

Scalextrix set, he may well be to young to use it yet, but the family and yourself should hvae some fun setting it up and playing with it in the church.

jruk
    Free Member

Dammit, what_tyres beat me to it. How about A Short History of Nearly Everything?

project
    Free Member

a Singletrack subscription, should improve his reading no end.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Christening Gifts’ is closed to new replies.