Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Chinese toddler ran over.. WTF!!
  • althepal

Feel the wtf is fully justified!!
    Anyone watch this just now on the news? A few of us here just saw the footage and we’re all stunned!! Poor wee wean ran over twice, lying in a busy road and ignored by 18 separate folk who walked/cycled/drove past the wee one
    Horrible, horrible story.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

“Some said they understood the dilemma for the passers-by – that if they helped out they might incur costs or be blamed for the accident.”

there is no hope for the human race

shindiggy
    Free Member

Watched the video and now feel sick. 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

wont watch the video read about upset me enough

its a shit world we live in

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15288865

Coyote
    Free Member

As Kimbers said, I read about this and it greatly upset me. I just cannot press play on the video clip

there is no hope for the human race

Really don’t want to believe this but after reading this story…

althepal

Watch ITNs edited footage.. That was bad enough.

tails
    Free Member

Just watched the clip it’s not particularly graphic. But that is probably reasonably common in China and India plus others. China has gone from bikes to cars in a short space of time, they can’t f**king drive anyone who I know who’s been there, mentions it was one of the most amazing things which is odd! There is a clip of Chinese driving on you they go through crossroads without looking.

The driver of that van should be done for murder, he was not travelling fast enough to not have seen the child. The people who walk around him, whilst I understand the value of money 18 EIGHTEEN you have a problem there that’s **** disgraceful.

Whilst that would never happen in the UK we still have the shadow of baby peter!

RIP Wang Yu 😥

tails
    Free Member

2 f**king years old, murdering c**t!!

tails
    Free Member

Also where were his pissing parents!!

faaz
    Free Member

wtf? even the ‘good samaritan’ could have paralysed the 2 year old, and if you watch, lets her head just flop to the floor? wtf?

how can people be brought up to just think it’s acceptable to ignore this? I suppose easily when you see that mother and daughter walk by… such a terrible impression.

fisha
    Free Member

Watched the video … its a bit of an eye opener mainly in terms of the indifference attitude of people going past.

I have to say, I’m genuinely surprised at the attitude.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

I spoke to my wife about this as shes from China and arrived here in July. The problem is that if you help someone after an accident theres a good chance you will be blamed by the person you helped as being the cause of the accident and asked for compo and being stiffed for the hospital bills which it seems the majority of chinese people are afraid of incurring. When your average wage is £1200 per annum being stuck with a £4000 bill is no laughing matter. There have been several well publicised cases in China where the good samaritan has been sued and lost the case, in some instances losing their homes _ i believe that this has occurred in the province where this incident occurred.

user-removed
    Free Member

My Dad was married to a rather unpleasant Chinese lady for many years and visited her relatively rural hometown two or three times. He had some shocking stories of dead female babies left in the gutter – all down to the one child policy (which I think is slightly more relaxed now). If a couple’s first child was a girl, it was apparently not at all uncommon to kill the baby and try for a boy the next time. So not very surprised by this news – horrible business.

slimjim78
    Free Member

China = a huge mess

swiss01
    Free Member

really? the problem with compensation culture that surrounds this case has been well documented and existed well before just as bob pointed out.

and as for it not happening in britain. don’t make me laugh.

ComradeD
    Free Member

Horrible story but at least get your facts right.

It happened in a market and not a busy road. Don’t know how didn’t spot that

user-removed
    Free Member

[grammar-nazi]Sorry just realised that the apostrophe in my last post is in the wrong place – couples’ is a plural noun 😳 [/grammar-nazi].

And swiss – I also don’t believe this would happen in the UK. Not for one second.

althepal

ComradeD- tbh I wasn’t really looking at the surroundings in great detail.. Attention was fixed on the van moving slowly towards the wean.. Don’t think the exact location lessens my horror at the folk going past the injured wean. Never mind someone else doing it a second time!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any of you been to China? It’s not like Surrey, you know…….

tails
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15398332

They have the 2 drivers, I hope they enjoy China’s justice system as much as the toddler enjoyed being murdered! 😡

toppers3933
    Free Member

this story distresses me greatly. what the hell is wrong with people.
    a friend commented on this on facebook a couple of days ago. all his mates started joking about it and i hit the roof. went off on one at them all. one guy even tried to defend himself that saying they were only having a laugh. ****

tails
    Free Member

Strange friends your mate keeps!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

what the hell is wrong with people

At the end of the day, all it takes is a legal system that makes the people who stop and help financially responsible for the person they’re helping – that’s sufficient inhibition in a society where most people don’t have much to begin with.

There are undoubtedly people in this country who share a similar attitude, usually on the basis of ‘health and safety’ concerns, or fears about the ‘compensation culture’ – I worked with someone recently whose organisation has decided not to train them in First Aid, in order to avoid being exposed to litigation, despite there being no legal precedent for a First Aider ever having been successfully sued for offering assistance.

Compare it with France, where the law penalises you for not[b] stopping to help, insists that you carry a first aid kit in the car etc…

specialknees
    Free Member

The Human race at its very worst.
    I really don’t believe this would happen in the UK (YET?)

I suspect the majority of us will still not hesitate to press the ‘Buy Now ‘button though on cheap Chinese bike stuff.

It seems nothing has a true value in China and the like.

Makes you think doesn’t it.

ransos
    Free Member

And swiss – I also don’t believe this would happen in the UK. Not for one second.

Let’s imagine that if you stop to help, there’s a good chance you’ll get sued for three times your annual salary. What do you think would happen then?

specialknees
    Free Member

To say people would think twice about helping due to financial reasons is just beyond comprehension to me.

I would put my life on the line in a situation like that I honestly would. It would be an automatic reaction.
    I have been in a similar (less dramatic) situation and that’s exactly what I did, and would again.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Let’s imagine that if you stop to help, there’s a good chance you’ll get sued for three times your annual salary. What do you think would happen then?

it would be worth every penny to know that i did what i could.

ransos
    Free Member

Easy to say when there’s no risk of it happening to you.

specialknees
    Free Member

toppers3933

+1

specialknees
    Free Member

Easy to say when there’s no risk of it happening to you.

Why not?
    Please explain.

ransos
    Free Member

Why not?
    Please explain.

It’s easy to say when there’s no risk of you being made homeless because you got sued. We all know what the right thing to do is, we all like to think we’d do the right thing, all I’m saying is that the apparent callous indifference of the passers-by isn’t quite what it appears to be.

toppers3933
    Free Member

easy to say or not its a fact. id have walked barefoot over broken glass to help that kid. i know that as a fact. im not trying to sound big or clever. i just would. money isnt every thing. and before you say it, i dont have much.
    i also appreciate that there are cultural differences around the globe, but it never ceases to amaze me that some cultural differences amount to a total lack of regard for your fellow man.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with cultural differences. If you think I’m making an argument based on moral relativism then you’re well wide of the mark. I say again – you can’t know what you would do in that situation (with the personal costs as described) until you’re in that situation. Something unknowable is not a fact.

specialknees
    Free Member

Cant see that and have been in a similar situation, there was a risk to my life and I still helped, have no regrets. If it was a financial risk I wouldn’t think twice.

Sorry if that sounds like Macho Bravado but there you go.

Still sick to the pit of my stomach and will now think twice before buying something direct from China.

toppers3933
    Free Member

i really dont want to sound like im arguing and im sorry if i do. i do get what your saying but i also know what id do in that situation. so it is a fact for me personally.
    id like to leave it there if thats ok. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Still sick to the pit of my stomach and will now think twice before buying something direct from China.

Well, it was sickening. Regarding a boycott, I assume you’ll be boycotting goods from all countries where there are examples of injured children not being helped? See post no. 4.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone live in London and visit some of the really dank and dangerous parts?

Loving the quasi-racism on this thread. Nice.

specialknees
    Free Member

Well, it was sickening. Regarding a boycott, I assume you’ll be boycotting goods from all countries where there are examples of injured children not being helped? See post no. 4.

Yep,
    spose I agree, I cant really boycot them all. (cant open the link at work) A knee jerk reaction I know but something a graphic really does make you want to do something.

I will think twice though.

‘quasi-racism’ ?

MrsToast
    Free Member

I also don’t believe this would happen in the UK. Not for one second.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3700446.stm

Really horrible wherever it happens.

scuzz
    Free Member

Also, [allegedly, source unverified] if you really injure someone on the road in China, by law you’re financially responsible for their health treatment. If they die, the death by dangerous driving fine could potentially be much less than that.
    With regards to the being blamed for the incident if you help, a judge ruled in one case (paraphrased) “There is no reason someone would help someone hurt that much unless they caused the injury”.

Very strange policies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Chinese toddler ran over.. WTF!!’ is closed to new replies.