Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Chinese carbon roadie build. Flyxi FLX-FR-322.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I took the plunge and brought myself a Chinese road frame from Aliexpress. It took two and a half weeks before it landed at my door over half of that time was waiting for parcel farce to pull their fingers out and process it through customs. With VAT and handling charges the frame, fork and headset cost £300. Built it up and christened it with a 60 mile Sunday club run and very impressed I am too. It didn’t explode or burst into flames and I even rolled it down a small set of steps to see if it would fall in half. Going to get a couple of subtle decals knocked up and put it away until the sun shines again.

Flame away folks. 😀

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Stealth black. Looks great. I’m tempted to get some carbon wheels that way. Partly for cost and partly to brand them myself for a laugh.

tthew

You went on a club run without full length mudguards and a flap made out of an old pop bottle? I trust they made you lurk at the back like a leper. 😀

(nice chariot tho’)

rOcKeTdOg

is that the amazon or your grass?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

is that the amazon or your grass?

That sir is the grass of a man who is always out on his bike. 8)

tthew

Well, if we’re going down that route we also need to critique the harlequin fence and dead bits in the conifer.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Nice bike, shabby garden. At least you have life the right way round……

faz083
    Free Member

mmm I like it. Couple that with some (also £300) China carbon wheels and that’ll be a beauty!

mooman
    Free Member

Stealth is good .. forget the decals.

The half painted fence and un-mowed grass. But great tan lines no doubt 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Epic tan lines.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Stealth is the way to go. My Compact Dolan Hercules

New RS 81 wheels just fitted. Thought about Chinese carbon ones and decided to stick to buying Shimano from Merlins in the end as so damn cheap and no worries of import duty etc, like the handlebars I bought from Carbonzone, which are on the bike.

AdamT

Here’s mine. I appreciate it’s a very wrong bike for these parts

faz083
    Free Member

I got a fake invoice with my carbon wheels so paid £30 including handling fee (tax was £5!). Not too shabby!

I like that tt/tri bike, shame about the non stealth chainset really!

radoggair
    Free Member

need to really really sort those handlebars out on that dolan

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve just received an invoice from Fedex for £23 duty on the SLK Light crankset I got from a seller in Taiwan. Happily he declared the value as $100, not the £550 I’d have paid had I bought them in a shop in the UK.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

My one year old Chinese carbon 29er frame has been faultless. My 6 month old 38mm carbon Chinese clinchers have been faultless.

The products are excellent quality and better than some of the big brand names I’ve had.

clubber
    Free Member

Happy with my Chinese carbon too 🙂 (see my various previous threads)

Just for reference, if you’re posting your bike, how about also posting a link to it – helpful for those researching as we probably all did before making our choices.

(Mine’s an MC098 / AC098 from Miracle/Ican via Aliexpress)

fogliettaz
    Free Member

Here is mine that I built in the spring, now clocked up close to 5000km.

Mine is an FM066 from http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/ with a Campagnolo Athena groupset and Mavic Kysrium SLS wheels.

atlaz
    Free Member

Mine. FM066-SL from HonorBikes with a bit of a custom paint job.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Those that bought via aliexpress, did your payment go OK? I tried to order some bits from off there, but as they dont take paypal had to use their escrow service. Only I changed my mind when they emailed asking for a copy of my passport, bank card and bank statement! 😯

Did you have to do similar or was I a random check?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Atlaz, can I ask what you paid extra for the custom paint job?

clubber
    Free Member

Those that bought via aliexpress, did your payment go OK?

Yeah, fine – I paid via credit card to ensure I was covered. I wasn’t asked for passport or anything else 😯

I would suggest that you view Alibaba/express in the same way as ebay – there are good and bad sellers. Deal with one with a good rep.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yeah, I wasn’t sure whether it was Alibaba themselves or the seller asking fir the info. I think it was Alibaba with it being escrow. I Googled it, seems it’s quite a common request from them but nobody wants to send that kind of info to them!

grum
    Free Member

Some good tax fraud advice here – anyone got any good tips on fraudulently claiming benefits?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pretty sure it’s a discussion regarding purchasing from China.

radoggair
    Free Member

grum by name, grum by nature

atlaz
    Free Member

Really? Not sure I see where. As long as the seller ships it with the right declared amount, HM customs and excise will handle that readily enough. I paid full tax on mine.

60 USD for the painting

grum
    Free Member

Really? Not sure I see where. As long as the seller ships it with the right declared amount

Which people are boasting about their sellers not doing. I’m really not that bothered, but boasting about evading legitimate taxes is pretty lame IMO.

Eg

I got a fake invoice with my carbon wheels so paid £30 including handling fee (tax was £5!). Not too shabby!

Wonder what the reaction would be if people on here boasted about benefitting from non-middle-class-bike-part-fraud like fiddling tax credits/benefits?

Or how about ‘I’m self employed and I got one of my customers to pay me in cash so I didn’t have to declare a penny of it to the taxman, woop!’ There would be outrage on here.

It’s just the hypocrisy that annoys me.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m really not that bothered

Then why bring it up on every Chinese frame thread?

clubber
    Free Member

You’re right of course, grum and that’s why I steer clear of it when I’m asked – I paid what sounded about the right amount of import duty on mine.

but

I’m really not that bothered

Isn’t very convincing.

As an aside, I had a warranty replacement and that was zero rated (correctly) which I was relieved to see (didn’t fancy paying import duty twice).

grum
    Free Member

So bothered that I mention it sometimes on a discussion forum?

By that reckoning RD you should seek mental help for your obsession with spaffing over 29ers and declaring 26ers obsolete, given the number of times you say it. 😉

I’ve bought stuff before where they’ve clearly put a fake amount on the invoice and not really given it a moment’s thought – I just think boasting about the tax you’ve avoided is pretty poor form and reveals an annoying double standard on here. Interesting how touchy some people get about it.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh come on, some of my favourite bikes are 26″ 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Sorry wasn’t directed at you! Do you do that too though? 🙂

stumpy01

Quite like the look of these frames; mainly because I find the branding/decals on road bikes ugly. I like the discrete look of the matt black carbon fibre.

Quite tempted to build a road bike up next year from one of these although I am not sure I know enough about what I want/need in terms of geometry/sizing to end up with a goodun’. Stealth black is probably easier to hide in the garage from the wife too 😀

As for the tax thing; if I had to pay the full amount of duty due, I would happily do so. But, if it got through customs having paid less than the required amount I wouldn’t be running to the taxman with my cheque book in hand letting him know that I’d ripped the government off.

grum
    Free Member

As for the tax thing; if I had to pay the full amount of duty due, I would happily do so. But, if it got through customs having paid less than the required amount I wouldn’t be running to the taxman with my cheque book in hand letting him know that I’d ripped the government off.

+1

I’m interested in one of these – like the look of the FM066 and keeping it in stealth mode.

RustySpanner

So fraud is fine if you get away with it? 😛

clubber
    Free Member

keeping it in stealth mode.

Whereas I think it’s a bit dull 🙂

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lets-see-your-finished-chinese-carbon-bikes-decalsdecoration

(I’m no 29er evangelist, Grum)

grum
    Free Member

So fraud is fine if you get away with it?

I’d more not do anything out of laziness than anything else. 😉

hora
    Free Member

That looks like a RT58.

After all the hassle. Was it worth the saving?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon roadie build. Flyxi FLX-FR-322.’ is closed to new replies.