Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Chilterns route suggestions.
  • polarisandy
    Free Member

Going to the chilterns this w/e near princes risborough.
    I don’t know the area at all, does anyone have any routes to recommend?
    Not been out for a while so looking at about 20-30k.
    Thanks for any help.

nsaints
    Free Member

mail me – I have three route’s all leaving from Risbourgh

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

I could ask the same. I usually just go off an O&S map, but then not everything’s marked. The problem with that is it’s a bit of a lottery – some good, some OK, some pants. I don’t get out enough and with enough MTBers to know where all the interesting stuff is – but I am sure there is loads.

I got shown a good, but short, loop up near Nettlebed and another one near Pishil. Wish I knew more though.

Dickyboy

Try & avoid the Ridgeway anywhere near Chinnor – it’s either muddy & real sticky or bone jarring when baked hard, plus it’s pretty boring at the best of times. Enjoy, there is plenty out there.

oldgit
    Free Member

There’s a great all off road 50k ride that’s worth the effort. It was commonly known as the Pinder loop, nsaints might have that one?

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Any advance on the Pinder loop?

I followed one of those route guides out of MBR which was 5 loops out of Skirmett/Turville/Fingest. Not impressed to be honest, lung busting climbs with straight tarmac/tractor track downhill reward (nee lack of reward). One for the CX guys maybe.

soobalias
    Free Member

check out the buckmtb site for a selection of routes.
    http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/trailguides.htm

local conditions were rideable at the weekend and further dried this week so should be good
    you are too early for bluebells, but there are more red kites than you can poke a stick at

if you want help chosing, i would go for this one, you can shorten easily or bail out and return to PR by road if need be
    http://www.bucksmtb.co.uk/PDFs/bmtb_pdf_trailguide_chilterndelight.pdf

oldgit
    Free Member

It used to be in the old STW route guides, don’t know if the powers that be have access to it? It was called ‘where Red Kites fly’
    I know it off by heart, but that doesn’t help much does it.

singletracksurfer

what!? there is lots of great riding around Turville etc (some of the best stuff in the Chilterns IMHO).
    Just do it the other way around 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If your arround Saturday am theres a group ride from mountain high in Pangbourne, departs 8:45-9:00 depending on faff time.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

p.s. your MBR description could be most of the Chilterns, definately XC Jeycore Lite terrain and the climbs just seem to stack up in a never ending sequence.

soobalias
    Free Member
    senorj

“BR”- the Chilterns own human GPS will be along to offer advice soon. 😀

If you have a map it’s quite easy to string a ride from Princes Risborough through to Wendover and back.

oldgit
    Free Member

BR”- the Chilterns own human GPS will be along to offer advice soon.

Think he’s got lost 😉

br
    Free Member

And by magic, he appears…

EIP and I can offer a few suggestions, but better to keep to the north of Risborough, less clag.

One good place to start would be the canal-side car park at Marsworth, or if you need to be nearer PR, then the layby in Kimble.

Cafe’s at Ashridge Monument and Wendover Woods are good stop-overs.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

singletracksurfer – Member
    what!? there is lots of great riding around Turville etc (some of the best stuff in the Chilterns IMHO).
    Just do it the other way around

I agree, just not those particular routes in MBR. The climb to the top of Ibstone almost had me crying, the route down could have been better – it turned out to be a very narrow, twisty, tarmacced, walled, single track road. I nearly splatted on the front of a Range Rover coming up the other way, with no way to escape. The rest of the ride down was spent on the brakes for that reason. Off-road is the magic word here.

BTW… I’ve often wondered if anyone has had the balls to ride down the sandy “rut” which comes straight down from the Windmill into Turville.

anono

Try the wendover route on the bucksmtb site, but better to turn it into a figure 8 – start at low scrubs (1) then anticlockwise to dunsmore. take the bridleway through upper bacombe then join up with the route. The run down to wendover through bacombe hill is a highlight. This gives you get the best descents on trails and the climbs on road.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ax3M4n – that climb up to Ibstone you talk about is great off road, up or down, there is a track either side of the road which is great fun.

Years ago I did try the sandy rut you mention – it ended in tears.

There is loads and loads of really great stuff round that area – not all of it on maps and certainly not all bridleway. Just choose when you ride to make sure you dont upsett too many people. But to be honest, its not that full of walkers / riders to have caused problems in the last 20 years Ive been riding there.

oldgit
    Free Member

Does anyone have that Red Kite route. I know it by ‘feel’ but couldn’t explain it to anyone.
    It kicks off in the car park with the sculptures and goes on a 33 mile loop?

br
    Free Member

Does anyone have that Red Kite route. I know it by ‘feel’ but couldn’t explain it to anyone.
    It kicks off in the car park with the sculptures and goes on a 33 mile loop?

It includes one of the great Chiltern downhill runs, into Wormsley – but its more for summer.

polarisandy
    Free Member

Thanks, went for an nsaints route starting near p. Ris, very different
    Terrain from what I usually ride but nIce to have a bit of variation and its about 10degrees warmer here, It felt like summer.
    The red kite reintroduction was a bit of a success, wern’t many pigeons about though..

snowpaul
    Free Member

hmmm pigeons are not prey of red kites!

😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns route suggestions.’ is closed to new replies.