Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Chilterns Challenge (100km)
  • singletracksurfer

It’s not been mentioned on here yet, but it should be a great day out in the Chilterns singletrack, next Saturday (16th July).

http://www.roughrideguide.co.uk/mtbike/2010/07/chilterns-challenge-woodcote-nr-reading-berksoxon/

singletracksurfer

monday morning bump 🙂

anyone on here doing it?

(this Saturday now)

soobalias
    Free Member

I think i did this when it was a BHF ride, really great routes round there.

Will call a few people this week and see if we can get out on saturday

singletracksurfer

That’s right SB, it’s virtually the same as the BHF one from 2 years ago.

Only 1 rider didn’t like the route – a roadie’s first time off road, and he didn’t like all the singletrack!! 😕

soobalias
    Free Member

even the guy who broke his arm/elbow enjoyed the 15ish miles he rode

the blood poisioning and three days in hospital were less good tho, so i doubt his missus will let him come out to play!

singletracksurfer

owwww. Was he the one who hit a speed (j)bump in the road and the First aiders couldn’t find him?

singletracksurfer

anyone (else) up for the full 100km?

soobalias
    Free Member

yeah that was him.

on a positive note our group raised in excess of £50 per mile ridden for BHF

ssnowman
    Free Member

I’m going to give it a go, sounds really good.

singletracksurfer

wow that’s some expensive pedalling soobalias, well done.
    You going to do the 100km ssnowman?

singletracksurfer

must be someone else up for doing the full 100km!!

mtbfix

Assuming no rain between now and then and the trails should be fit and proper for everyone.

singletracksurfer

yeah, was out earlier and they are all fine, even after the deluge over the weekend.

slimjim78
    Free Member

sounds great, im very tempted to give it a try as been meaning to try the chilterns for a while.

50 or 75km for me, but time permitting would be up for the 100.

slimjim78
    Free Member

yeah, was out earlier and they are all fine, even after the deluge over the weekend.

STS, could you give me the low down on the best places to head for a run in the Chilterns?

singletracksurfer

A run or cycle?

You’ll discover some great routes on the event. Also, i’ve got a good winter ride I do that passes through Henley (train station there). Where are you from?

slimjim78
    Free Member

From Horsell/Chertsey/Heathrow area.(30mins away roughly)

Would be looking to ride the chilterns (although running is another fave activity).

Straightliner

I’ve just entered and will be in for the 100km option.

singletracksurfer

You get all 4 route maps when you enter the event, which has lots of lovely trails on it.

If you want more, including a good winter ride e-mail or corner me at the event and i’ll happily help 🙂

zbonty

This looks good. Been looking to do a decent longish ride soon. Double check my weekend manoeuvres before signing up..

slimjim78
    Free Member

but with a tag name like yours – mine should actually read ”singletrackplodderwithoccasionalbreathlessnessandinabilitytochoosealinewithoutfaliingoff”

will this hold me back?

singletracksurfer

ha ha, no I think the chilterns is great for all abilities. It gets harder the faster you ride it (singletrack). It’s not too hilly, but enough to get you breathless 😉

I used to surf as well, hence ‘surfer’ before I moved away from the see 😥 Although I like to think I carve the singletrack trails too.

nsaints
    Free Member

well i had entered – but then I broke my collarbone – pah 🙁

slimjim78
    Free Member

ill be signing up STS, so will pop over and say hi on saturday (somehow?)

singletracksurfer

e-mail me if you like and i can send you gpx files if they’re any use?

ononeorange

My local-ish area! Lovely. Mrs is in that London on Saturday so sadly it will just be me. Still recovering from an ankle operation so will be slower than ever and probably only good for the 75k at best but will be there.

singletracksurfer will try and say hello. I’m the fat old bloke on a black Cotic Soul if you fly past me.

ononeorange

PS Mr singletracksurfer – where’s best to park up please?

slimjim78
    Free Member

oneoneorange, im also keen to buy a Soul so happy to hook up and test out just how slow you are?

ononeorange

No problems slimjim – I start off OK-ish but then seem to burn out pretty quickly at present. Not sure what time I’ll get there but will aim for 9ish. What bike are you on / descrption and I’ll look out for you.

rob2
    Free Member

Park in woodcote, loads of room.

Plus (blatant plug) come to my cafe in Cholsey after (5 mins from woodcote) for cake and coffee and flapjacks! 😀

And we have mtb mags in the shop 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

will be on either silver Cannondale hardtail or pink On-One inbred.

I have 3/4 length tattoo’ed arms and pink/green/black Fox helmet (not much hair under it!)

and you?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cake? Done.

singletracksurfer

yeah parking at the venue or roadside nearby.
    rob do you (or your better half) know will & rosie rand? they mentioned some friends had opened up a cafe in cholsey.

oh my soul’s are popular. I’ve got a blue (re-spray) one 😉

ononeorange

Blimey. I thought I had pretty much the only Soul in the Chilterns, I never see another. Hmmm blue eh? Look forward to seeing that.

Thanks surfer. Yes indeed, cake?!

slimjim – black helmet, brown Lezne hydration pack, no tattoos, fat and old (I note the 78 in your name, I’m way older than that) no hair. An unbeatable combination!

Will be wearing whatever shirt falls out of the drawer on the day.

zbonty

Forecast is a bit pants for the weekend..

flybywire
    Free Member

It’ll be a good’un this.. did a rece’ yesterday evening with a colleague who lives in Goring & knows the area well. nice singletrack and fast double track.

apparently some films at the finish

singletracksurfer

only light showers (at times) are forecast and the trails are ok now, so shouldn’t be a problem.

slimjim78
    Free Member

apparently some films at the finish

Transformers 3?

Looking forward to hitting these trails.

slimjim78
    Free Member

BTW, im hoping to have recovered from cold/chest infection by saturday (as im training for a half marathon too) , can I sign up on the day of the event just in case im not fully recovered?

singletracksurfer

MTB films – so you can see how you should have been riding the trails 😉

Signing in on the day is allowed, but beforehand is encouraged so you can have your own custom rider no. plate and make sure there are enough refreshments.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns Challenge (100km)’ is closed to new replies.