Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Chilean miners
  • aracer
    Free Member

…they keep doing it

“the last time we’re going to see the capsule coming up like this”

“this rescue is coming to an end”

I’m getting really worried about those blokes still down there.

aracer
    Free Member

Thank god for that – the president remembered about the men still down there.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Wahoo! I stayed up for this, It’s just like apollo 13 or sommat, perhaps. Fantastic result. It’s so good to see some good news on the telly instead of all the miserable shit. brilliant.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Apparently 25,000 men are killed in mining incidents each year around the world, just shows the power of the media really and nothing more….

kennyp
    Free Member

A great feel-good story no doubt, and it must have been horrible for those guys trapped down there. The only thing I’ve found annoying over the past few days is all the psychologists popping up every time I turn the radio on blabbering on about it being essential these guys get counselling. I even heard one say the rescuers would need counselling too.

I’ve long been of the opinion these sort of people cause more problems than they solve. The miners are tough guys, and are probably just delighted to be free and back with friends and family. The last thing they need is some self-centred quack insisting they have “problems” and “issues they need to work through”.

aracer
    Free Member

Apparently 25,000 men are killed in mining incidents each year around the world

75 a day? Really? How come we don’t hear about all this carnage? Have you maybe got the numbers a little wrong?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I think the first guy down (Manuel Gonzalez, I think) was the last guy back up. He had the biggest balls by far. The look in his eyes as he was to be lowered into the pit was telling. Poo-scared, but doing it anyway.

Top chap.

dazzlingboy

75 a day? Really? How come we don’t hear about all this carnage? Have you maybe got the numbers a little wrong?

True – according the the Federation of Mineworkers in Radio 4 last night. 15,000 a year they reckon in China alone.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Guy on the radio said official figures from the union members around the world was something like 12-14k deaths per year that were recorded. They also reckon China and Africa have thousdands die every year that go unrecorded, China alone thought to be in the region of 15-20k and many children in Africa that die un recorded.

Can you imagine if this was any other industry or a war?

aracer
    Free Member

So are there lots of mines where one or two people die every day/week/month, or are there large groups of people being killed we don’t hear about? I mean given those figures, every time they got a Chilean miner out another 2 or 3 people had been killed in a mine.

molgrips
    Free Member

The miners are tough guys

Hah. So because you do a physically hard job then you have no emotional side at all?

Right.

I suppose you think PTSD in soldiers is just them being a bit wet, don’t you?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

so its only me that thought this was the chilean version of big brother !!

kennyp
    Free Member

Hah. So because you do a physically hard job then you have no emotional side at all?

No, you’re missing the point. What I’m saying is that this modern assumption that counselling is essential can actually cause more problems than it solves by giving people problems they never had before the counselling. I’m not saying it’s inappropriate in every case; more that the people I’ve been hearing on the radio are saying it’s essential.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And 60,000 construction workers are killed every year around the world (that’s as many as die in armed conflicts)

So what ?

Those figures have absolutely no bearing on the fact that the historic rescue of 33 miners through a half mile long 24″ tube was a stunning achievement worthy of the huge global media coverage it received.

And its not as if those who like to whinge about anything which captivates a large audience are actually bothered about workplace related fatalities.

They castigate the media for focusing on the plight of a few dozen workers whilst ignoring the larger picture, but why were they themselves also previously completely uninterested with global situation ?

Or are they going to claim that they have long been frustrated by the media’s lack of interest on the subject ?
    *rolls eyes*

twosheds
    Free Member

When do you think they will be taking the sunglasses off?

teef
    Free Member

Why are the 33 miners heroes? – Surely the real heroes are the rescuers. The drillers and capsule designers saved the 33 lives – they should be the ones getting all the glory.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Why are the 33 miners heroes? – Surely the real heroes are the rescuers. The drillers and capsule designers saved the 33 lives – they should be the ones getting all the glory.

Yeah, they haven’t had a mention, which is pretty damned unfair seeing as they have worked their nuts off day and night for two months.

The media have been dining out on this whole charade like vultures.

I just saw a PR thing on the One show about how these miners could make between £10-100 million out of this. FFS!

The claptrap commentary I heard on BBC was incredible – just making a story out of speculation and other fluff. We’ve had BBC reporters and a small army of others out there for weeks on end – totally ove the top, total waste of license payer’s money!

The accident should never have happened and Chilean authorities should feel embarrassed about their gross negligence. So they should have wound their necks in a bit.

It’s the same same old media hype and bullshit. It’s so damned patronising!

I am very pleased these guys got out alive, but the media storm has been ugly (as usual)!

Kuco

How long before hollywood make a film and that it was the yanks that rescued them?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Media nonsense spotted:

Channel 4: “It’s a miracle”. Nope.

BBC News: “They’re keeping the positive energy going” whatever that is…

Metro: “Returned from the dead” – er, no, actually.

kennyp
    Free Member

I just saw a PR thing on the One show about how these miners could make between £10-100 million out of this. FFS!

In reality they’ll make a tiny fraction of this. In six months time hardly anyone will remember the story, such is the fickle nature of the world today.

These are guys who until a few months ago had crap jobs for crap wages. If they now have the chance to make a few bob then good luck to them.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Chilean miners’ is closed to new replies.