Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Chilean miners
  • nickc

Your post just made me laugh that’s all. I could imagine Sky going from it’s interminable voice over and all of a sudden going;

“Anyway, never mind all that, here’s a short film about the Chilean armpit snake” or something.

Actually it would break up he coverage a bit…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Very nice wine they do too. I enjoy a nice bottle of Cono Sur Pinot Noir now and then. It’s bloody gone up a fair bit in price has this one, it used to be quite cheap but it’s got quite popular.

Jimi Hendrix sung about a ‘Voodoo Chile’ and a ‘Highway Chile’ but those are something different and have no relation whatsoever to the nation of Chile as far as I know.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah – I was just thinking wine. What they need is Duffers doing the reporting – he wouldn’t forget to mention the wine.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

it would be good to learn about what is a fascinating country. Did you know …….blah, blah, blah…….. driest desert, ……… blah, blah, blah….copper…….

All I know is that it’s a stupid shape for a country.

What other country is shaped long and thin like that FFS ?

I don’t know who’s daft idea it was, but I reckon they should give most of it to Argentina, except for the very top bit which Bolivia could have……that would make a couple of proper shaped countries.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why do you have to come along and spoil everyone’s happiness? Why are you so nasty?

So eaten up with nastiness and horribleness, you can’t ever say something nice, can you?

Have a go, just for one day, at being nice. Do you think you could do that? Or even just for a couple of hours?

aracer
    Free Member

What other country is shaped long and thin like that FFS ?

Well there’s one obvious candidate with a fairly large length to width ratio I’d have thought you’d be familiar with, Che.

Otherwise, Italy, Norway, Vietnam

aracer
    Free Member

So now they’re feeding down a phone cable. Given they’ve already had a fibre optic video link down one of the other holes you’d think they’d be keeping the main hole as clear as possible to avoid any chance of snagging.

hels
    Free Member

So what would you do first when you got home from being trapped down a mine for 10 weeks ? Showering perhaps ??

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not very impressed – so far there are only 2 less down there than they started with.

bob_summers

no flies on oakley’s product placement. the mineros are all coming out wearing radars (unless they’re standard issue in mining…!)

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Apparently they are playing “Shaft” by “Issac Hayes” as they pop out.

Someone said “Land down under” by “Men at work” or “Going underground” by “The Jam” but some said it was a bit dis tasteful. 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    I’m not very impressed – so far there are only 2 less down there than they started with.

4 were out as I was eating my brekkie at 7:40

rkk01
    Free Member

The whole point surely isn’t the principal of using a cage on a wire to go down a hole, but how tiny this one is and how long the hole is!

True. Have just checked the measurements on the Chilean one, and it is 10cm narrower in diameter than the one in the photo, which is still a rescuse cage, but as said, I didn’t have to use it under the duress of an emergency situation.

That said, I was working from within that thing over several weeks!
    Be excellent to see this rescue completed.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s going to be quite some overtime they’ve accrued when they clock off shift

aracer
    Free Member

It’s going to be quite some overtime they’ve accrued when they clock off shift

Shame they won’t be getting paid for it

gravitysucks
    Free Member

So what would you do first when you got home from being trapped down a mine for 10 weeks ? Showering perhaps ??

If I was that bloke I’d be going double up on Wife & Girlfriend…. although as his sister seems to be spokesperson it may be a delicate 1st assignment for her.

Dougal
    Free Member

no flies on oakley’s product placement. the mineros are all coming out wearing radars (unless they’re standard issue in mining…!)

I wondered about this too. Oakley donated the glasses to fill the need for 100% UV filtration to prevent retina damage on surface. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/8049884/Chile-miners-sunglasses-men-will-wear-to-see-the-light.html

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

so far they are coming up looking far better than I do first thing in the morning.

A film?could be a bit boring…

But very glad that they are all coming out unharmed. I hope they all get a decent bit of cash for their stories and don’t have to go back underground.

iDave
    Free Member

Oakley will have donated glasses and paid to make sure they’re used

The glasses retail for about a months salary for a miner

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A film?could be a bit boring…

I doubt that – for the first 17 days they didn’t think they would ever get out.

Imagine what that could do to a man’s head – 17 days to contemplate a slow and painful death in claustrophobic surroundings and another 32 men all thinking equally dark thoughts…

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve noticed the Chilean president is greeting each miner as he comes out. He’s going to be getting a bit tired by the time the last one comes out even with half hour catnaps!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I expect there will be a fantastical Hollywood film made of this. With American miners and rescuers, set in America.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I doubt that – for the first 17 days they didn’t think they would ever get out.
    Imagine what that could do to a man’s head – 17 days to contemplate a slow and painful death in claustrophobic surroundings and another 32 men all thinking equally dark thoughts…

Yeah, what they’re not shouting about is the fact that there were originally 35 miners unaccounted for…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

set in America.

Well no, it would be set in somewhere evil like Iraq because American mines are brilliant.

Matt Damon will save the day.

molgrips
    Free Member

With American miners and rescuers, set in America

Isn’t it already American miners in America?

eth3er
    Free Member

Fake but oh so plausible.

samuri
    Free Member

I wonder if any of them turned ‘Sister’ while they were in there. Might be a shock when they get back out.

ski
    Free Member

Wonder if the last one out will switch the lights off?

Harry_the_Spider

They’re not hanging about!

They can turn that capsule round faster than Ryan Air can do a 737. I bet that it is full of crumbs and toffee wrappers and that the sick bags haven’t been replaced.

richmars

in the film, there’ll be a bit more tension, like the mine will be flooding and slowly filling up.

hora
    Free Member

HIP HIP HOOORAY! :mrgreen:

MrNutt
    Free Member

damn I thought this was a thread about over cautious riding in the Chilterns.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They have been able to have a shower everyday, so I’m not sure how much of a priority it will be for them :

Chilean miners: A typical day in the life of a subterranean miner

Quote :

“Morning showers require the men to climb aboard a bulldozer-type mining vehicle that rumbles 300 metres up the tunnel to a natural waterfall where they shower, shampoo and clean off the ubiquitous rust-coloured mud.

Showers and breakfast are followed by morning chores…………”

organic355
    Free Member

It’s a shame my wife isn’t trapped down that mine with those Chilean miners.

They’d have ****ing dug themselves out by now.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is that guy that was lowered down into the mine still down there? One of the ballsiest things i’ve ever seen.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

CountZero

I’ve noticed the Chilean president is greeting each miner as he comes out. He’s going to be getting a bit tired by the time the last one comes out even with half hour catnaps!

Meanwhile, in another country further north, the President is away playing golf. Again.
    To be serious, though, this is an incredible story, and after many mine accidents this one looked like another tragic addition to the list. The work carried out by the engineers to achieve what they have in such an inhospitable environment is astonishing, and in such a calm and methodical manner. This is really miraculous, and for once a cause for genuine celebration. Sometimes the very best you can wish for can actually come true. Great news for the people of Chile, who, as elfin said, have had much ill-fortune over the years.

Houns

Lol @ Teeto

I actually contacted Oakley last week to tell them they should provide glasses for the miners, they told me that they were already on it.

I’m keeping my eye open for a pair to appear on ebay for my collection 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Not sure i’d like to be this bloke coming out now. Wife or girlfriend why not have both.

aracer
    Free Member

Apparently the rescue pod is now making it’s last ascent according to the BBC commentators. Don’t know if anybody’s told the 5 rescuers still down there!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Chilean miners’ is closed to new replies.