Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Childs Stabilisers
  • TenMen
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend any decent stabilisers for a child's bike? The ones that came with my 5yr old's bike seem to be crap quality and have bent, rendering them useless, and I want her to get a bit more confident before taking them off in a few months time. Thanks…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don't do it. Just bin them.

StirlingCrispin

Drop the saddle and take the pedals/cranks off.
    Let them skoot until they can balance and away you go.

DezB
    Free Member

I would've thought they are all pretty much of a muchness.
    I've got a set lying around in my garage, but they are probably the same as the ones you already have.
    Seen these on Ebay, look a bit more robust.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Childrens-bike-stabilisers-never-used_W0QQitemZ310207147971

alexpalacefan

Get rid of 'em. A kid can't learn to ride a bike properly with stabilisers.

Like Neil and Crispin said have 'em start with no pedals, like a balance-bike.

A

DezB
    Free Member

alexpalacefan – Member
    A kid can't learn to ride a bike properly with stabilisers.

Do what??? 😯

How far can a 5 year old ride on a balance bike, scooting along? I'm sure not as far as pedalling.

Simon

The fact that they bend is a good thing, this happened to my kid's bikes and it meant they had to learn to balance to remain upright, the stabilisers were essentially there for a bit of security. Both of my girls were off stabilisers and riding confidently at age four.

twang
    Free Member

Yep, forget the stabilisers. Find a grassy slope with a flat run-off and get kiddo to straddle bike with legs out like stabilisers and let em go!
    Run after precious offspring, shouting instructions; "dont turn- dont look down" etc etc.
    Before you (and they) know it they're riding a bike…marvelous!!

vinnyeh

Our two got Islabikes for Christma a year or so back- a Rothan balance bike for the 2 year old, and a Cnoc pedal bike with stabilisers for the 3 year old- no prizes for guessing which was balancing first. The stabilisers in hindsight were a mistake- the bike gets bogged in dips and holes, but the balance bike will go anywhere. Took the stabilisers and cranks off, and a couple of days later the older child has got the knack, and the cranks go back on, stabilisers stay off. To be honest, pedals are a hindrance at a young age- it takes too much effort to cycle across mud, grass, up hills etc, whereas they can paddle up and through just about anything if they're just using feet.

Edric64
    Free Member

No stabilisers the hobby horse scoot along to get balance works well you can even buy bikes like it now from Isla bikes .Kids don't learn with stabilisers they just lean to one side all the time .Take them off and they learn quicker .One of my boys was riding at three.

dave_aber
    Free Member

What they all said, +1.

Seat down, pedals off, no mention of stabilisers.

My lad was up and scooting around after about an hour, which was 4 months before his 3rd birthday. By the time he was 3, we were doing 5 miles on quiet roads (with pedals on!).

His bike control now (18) is pretty stunning.

Find a grassy slope with a flat run-off

I used a hill with a harbour at the bottom. That taught him to brake as well!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I used a hill with a harbour at the bottom. That taught him to brake as well!

😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Childs Stabilisers’ is closed to new replies.